Revenue Sharing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Revenue Sharing

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this: The league wants revenue sharing on local Sponsorship and luxuryboxes. How can local sponsorship for the Phins affect a team like Arizona? Someone help me with this please.

All NFL teams share revenue they take in from tv contracts, merchandise, etc. Some revenue sources like luxury box sales and local contracts are kept by the individual teams. The revenue sharing proposal would add those other revenue sources to the pool of money all the teams share.

A portion of the money the Phins earn from that local sponsorship would go into the league-wide pool, which isn't the case right now.

I agree with the concept of revenue sharing. But in the end, it all comes down to how good a businessman the owner is. How creative can he be in generating income for his team. Jerry Jones is a master of this. And he opposes a lot of the new revenue sharing ideas simply because he's created a lot of new/different ways to make his team (unshared) money.

The fear is that some teams will become somewhat complacent once they receive more shared money.

rafael said:
All NFL teams share revenue they take in from tv contracts, merchandise, etc. Some revenue sources like luxury box sales and local contracts are kept by the individual teams. The revenue sharing proposal would add those other revenue sources to the pool of money all the teams share.

But why??? Why should the Phins share there LOCAL revenue with other teams. I can understand TV contracts and merchandise etc. But our luxury boxes and local contracts???

finmann said:
But why??? Why should the Phins share there LOCAL revenue with other teams. I can understand TV contracts and merchandise etc. But our luxury boxes and local contracts???

LOL, George Steinbrenner is reading posts like this one above and going...."SEE I TOLD YA SO"

teams shouldn't have to share. You wanna have sharing when it comes to TV deals, merch, and all of that stuff fine (at least in the NFL). But if an owner builds a stadium and sells triple the luxery boxes of every other team, he shouldn't have to share that money. Period. End of story.

What you will see is the lower end owners (aka the cheap ones) stop caring and start pinching penny's knowing a big check is coming. And you will see the top end owners (aka the big spenders) stop spending cause its not worth it in the end. And who gets hurt by this, the fans of course!

the current system works....this is why 90 percent of the teams are competitive enough to not stay doormats every year (teams like Arizona are an exception)....

Revenue sharing is a reason that the NFL is the most lucrative and popular sport in the USA by a landslide....

IF the NFL went to a baseball-style format (god no)...teams like Green Bay, Buffalo, Kansas City, Minnesota, Cincinnati, and other teams would have no shot at staying competitive year in and year out...and you'd be watching the Dallas, Oakland, Washington, Atlanta, and a bunch of major market teams dominate the super bowl....

MikeO said:
What you will see is the lower end owners (aka the cheap ones) stop caring and start pinching penny's knowing a big check is coming.

This is what happened in Cincinnati for about 12 years prior to the arrival of Marvin Lewis. Mike Brown had to be the all-time worst. No scouting department (left to assistant coaches in the offseason). Wouldn't spend on players, etc. One time they sold bottled tap water to fans at a game.

It's a problem when you've got turds like Red McCombs and Tom Benson owning teams. And then you turn around and look at what we've got here in Miami. Take a look at the things Huizenga has done and is planning on doing. Look at how he locked onto Saban and the lengths he went to to get him. Look at how he re-organized the franchise. Then you look at how Benson has kept Jim Haslett for six years now. How Minnesota usually hovered around $20 million under the cap on opening day. How Mike Tice makes less than many of our assistants. We've got ourselves a great owner dedicated to winning.

And that's the fear. As Mike O said, guys like Benson and McCombs will slack off while guys like Huizenga and Jerry Jones keep them afloat.

TerryTate said:
IF the NFL went to a baseball-style format (god no)...teams like Green Bay, Buffalo, Kansas City, Minnesota, Cincinnati, and other teams would have no shot at staying competitive year in and year out...and you'd be watching the Dallas, Oakland, Washington, Atlanta, and a bunch of major market teams dominate the super bowl....

If going to a baseball format meant relegating Buffalo to doormat status, I'd be in favor of such an arrangement. :tongue:

TerryTate said:
the current system works....this is why 90 percent of the teams are competitive enough to not stay doormats every year (teams like Arizona are an exception)....

Revenue sharing is a reason that the NFL is the most lucrative and popular sport in the USA by a landslide....

I'm not talking about not sharing at all. What i am talking about is LOCAL Contracts and luxury boxes. Wayne Huizenga and Jerry Jones work hard to generate money for their teams, why can't other teams do that , even if they are in smaller markets.

Muck said:
If going to a baseball format meant relegating Buffalo to doormat status, I'd be in favor of such an arrangement. :tongue:

But it also means the Jets and Pats will be two Top 5 franchises

finmann said:
I'm not talking about not sharing at all. What i am talking about is LOCAL Contracts and luxury boxes. Wayne Huizenga and Jerry Jones work hard to generate money for their teams, why can't other teams do that , even if they are in smaller markets.

Because those owners are lazy and cheap

MikeO said:
Because those owners are lazy and cheap

That really sucks. In that case I hope this is not implemented.

I can't see sharing the revenue from luxury boxes. Not unless teams also share the COST of installing them. Same goes for local sponsorship....if the NFL was to force all the teams to chip in for stadium renovation costs then all the teams should share in the profits from advertising/sponsorship at those stadiums. Otherwise the money should stay with the guy that footed the cost.

Right now, some of the historically better franchises in the league are profitable, but just barely. If you take away a large portion of the profit derived from these two sources, some teams would be losing money if they tried to maintain the same level of quality they had in the past.

Bad idea all around

the only team that would benifit is Arizona. revenue sharing would only give the week a reason to not improve because even if their stadium is empty they will still turn a profit

Back
Top Bottom