Revised Top Targets In First Round | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Revised Top Targets In First Round

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Now that Miami's coaching staff is in place, how about looking at potential targets at #13. Now we know a few things. The Dolphins plan on being "multiple" on defense, meaning versatility is the key and that likely will be the focus mostly on the defensive side.

Here are my thoughts.

Trade-Up Scenario
I don't know how far Miami would trade-up, but I would think it would only be for Haskins or Murray. My guess is the team holds onto that 2020 #1 pick, but a slight trade up if they "love" a quarterback is definitely possible. I suppose Lock could be in the conversation as well.

Targets at #13 (in no particular order)
Rashan Gary, DE/DT Michigan
Christian Wilkins, DE/DT Clemson
Devin White, LB, LSU
Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma
Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
Montez Sweat DE/LB Mississippi State
Greedy Williams, CB LSU
Jachai Polite DE/LB Florida
Daniel Jones, QB Duke

Notes
Lots of targets in trade down scenario, so I haven't gone there. Gary and Wilkins are very versatile with high upsides. I've seen Gary mostly mocked around top 5. Wilkins is more all over the map, but mostly top 20. White makes sense in a 3-4 considering Alonso could be a cap casualty and the Dolphins will need more talent there. Ford becomes more likely if James isn't kept. He can also play guard and add a physical presence to the offensive line.

I think Gary and White are top 10 picks and will be gone. I also think that someone will trade up ahead of Miami for Williams.
I love Wilkins. he would be my guy if White is not there.
I think Ford is a better guard than tackle. I also believe Lindstrom is a better guard than Ford.
I am skeptical of Oliver and Sweat being dominant at the NFL level.
I am skeptical of Polite being able to stay out of trouble after he gets his money.
Ferrell would be an upgrade over Charles Harris who is a bust.
I would rather have Lock than Jones but would not be opposed to Jones in a trade down.
Other favorites of mine in a trade down are Byron Murphy, T.J. Hockenson and Lindstrom or Ford
Under no circumstances do I draft Kyler Murray, Dexter Lawrence or Greg Little.
Also, I do not trade up.

I like White but no way he's there at 13. Unless some type of controversy pops up, like him wearing a bong gas mask or something. We know that never happens though. Can't hurt to dream.....

I think Gary and White are top 10 picks and will be gone. I also think that someone will trade up ahead of Miami for Williams.
I think Ford is a better guard than tackle. I also believe Lindstrom is a better guard than Ford.
I am skeptical of Polite being able to stay out of trouble after he gets his money.
I would rather have Lock than Jones but would not be opposed to Jones in a trade down.
Other favorites of mine in a trade down are Byron Murphy, T.J. Hockenson and Lindstrom or Ford
Also, I do not trade up.

My guess is Wilkins or one of the quarterbacks.

I am still trying to figure out the top 10 hype on Gary. Where's the production? I get the versatility but he looks like a 5 tech in a 3-4, who can also play strong side DE and kick inside in a 4-3. I don't see top 13 pick for a run stopping DE though. I have been wrong before.

From everything I read, these players will/should be off the board by 13. Big run on our biggest needs....

Dwayne Haskins
Kyler Murray
Quinnen Williams
Nick Bosa
Josh Allen
Brian Burns
Greedy Williams
Devin White
Jonah Williams
Jawaan Taylor
Ed Oliver
Reshan Gary

On the D-line that leaves

Sweat, Ferrell, Polite and Wilkins. Good players but may be a tier below. I think Wilkins could be better than projected with a lot of evaluators ranking him around 16-22.

Obviously edge rusher is the biggest value outside of QB in this class.

Ferrell could be a decent SOLB/SDE but not real bendy around the corner. Seems to still be getting better. He could probably play either side though but with his ability to play run/drop in coverage I like him on the strong side once we find that weak side speed rusher.

So do you take a strong side DE/OLB or will we have to replace the right tackle with a high pick?

We also still need a NT but not at 13 this year. So many scenarios and dilemmas. Once again we seem to be out of range for the best players of biggest need. Someone will be a great player at or after 13 but who will it be?

Looks like a good spot to trade down if we can find a partner looking for someone we don't need at 13.

For a team looking to rebuild and not be competitive for a year or so Jeffrey Simmons would be a steal in round 2 if they can get past his woman beating issues.

I would put the list of unreachables more like:

DT Quinnen Williams
DE Nick Bosa
OLB Josh Allen
QB Kyler Murray
QB Dwayne Haskins

Everyone else is fair game. And even Haskins above may be stretching it to say he will for sure go above our pick.

You can easily imagine any of the following going above our pick at #13 overall. But the odds are, 6 of them will be available:

QB Drew Lock
RB Josh Jacobs
TE T.J. Hockenson
OT Jonah Williams
OT Jawaan Taylor
DT Ed Oliver
DT Christian Wilkins
DE Rashan Gary
DE Clelin Ferrell
DE Montez Sweat
LB Devin White
CB Greedy Williams
CB Byron Murphy

Personally, the guys I might think twice about if they were available at #13 are Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary, Devin White, and Greedy Williams.

Otherwise I'm focused on trading UP to get Kyler Murray, or trading DOWN to get a bunch of picks.

Also, I do not trade up.

I like it. A lot of it.

I would put the list of unreachables more like:

DT Quinnen Williams
DE Nick Bosa
OLB Josh Allen
QB Kyler Murray
QB Dwayne Haskins

Everyone else is fair game. And even Haskins above may be stretching it to say he will for sure go above our pick.

You can easily imagine any of the following going above our pick at #13 overall. But the odds are, 6 of them will be available:

QB Drew Lock
RB Josh Jacobs
TE T.J. Hockenson
OT Jonah Williams
OT Jawaan Taylor
DT Ed Oliver
DT Christian Wilkins
DE Rashan Gary
DE Clelin Ferrell
DE Montez Sweat
LB Devin White
CB Greedy Williams
CB Byron Murphy

Personally, the guys I might think twice about if they were available at #13 are Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary, Devin White, and Greedy Williams.

Otherwise I'm focused on trading UP to get Kyler Murray, or trading DOWN to get a bunch of picks.
CK, would you deal up for Haskins? I haven't seen a lot of him, but I keep hearing how smart and football detailed he is. Sounds like someone the new regime could "fall in love with." Jones is the other quarterback who could interest Miami at #13. Personally, I'm not real high on him, but he could be a Chad Pennington type.

CK, would you deal up for Haskins? I haven't seen a lot of him, but I keep hearing how smart and football detailed he is. Sounds like someone the new regime could "fall in love with." Jones is the other quarterback who could interest Miami at #13. Personally, I'm not real high on him, but he could be a Chad Pennington type.

No. I would deal up for Kyler Murray.

Concern for Haskins is that he's just too heavy limbed, doesn't move around very well, legs, feet, arm, everything. Gets the ball out quickly, reads the defense quickly, throws with trust, accurate, not a lot of tape of him throwing with NFL power but he's capable of it when he dials it up.

I think he's a good prospect. One I'd think about at 13. But not one I'd trade up for. He sort of compares with Josh Rosen as a prospect a year ago, except Rosen had a demonstrably better arm, and demonstrably better work with pressure at his feet. And yet Rosen has not been working out very well so far, so what does that say?

Every prospect is different, I recognize that. Haskins is young, was only a first year starter, will probably continue to improve, and if he does then watch out.

No. I would deal up for Kyler Murray.

Concern for Haskins is that he's just too heavy limbed, doesn't move around very well, legs, feet, arm, everything. Gets the ball out quickly, reads the defense quickly, throws with trust, accurate, not a lot of tape of him throwing with NFL power but he's capable of it when he dials it up.

I think he's a good prospect. One I'd think about at 13. But not one I'd trade up for. He sort of compares with Josh Rosen as a prospect a year ago, except Rosen had a demonstrably better arm, and demonstrably better work with pressure at his feet. And yet Rosen has not been working out very well so far, so what does that say?

Every prospect is different, I recognize that. Haskins is young, was only a first year starter, will probably continue to improve, and if he does then watch out.
I hear you. I do think that Miami might move up slightly for Haskins or Murray, but I don't expect a leap to say #4 or #1. And that depends, of course, on how they actually feel about these quarterbacks. Waiting for 2020 is risky because there are just too many variables involved. This coaching staff may end up getting a lot more out of the team than we might expect.

While we are talking quarterbacks, what is your view on Jones? Is Pennington a good comparison? I question Jones's arm talent, but he's another who is said to be smart and well-coached.

I hear you. I do think that Miami might move up slightly for Haskins or Murray, but I don't expect a leap to say #4 or #1. And that depends, of course, on how they actually feel about these quarterbacks. Waiting for 2020 is risky because there are just too many variables involved. This coaching staff may end up getting a lot more out of the team than we might expect.

While we are talking quarterbacks, what is your view on Jones? Is Pennington a good comparison? I question Jones's arm talent, but he's another who is said to be smart and well-coached.

I am the wrong guy to ask on Daniel Jones because I do not like him at all. Weak arm. Not great accuracy. Doesn't even have a consistent throwing process when you really break down the mechanics. Takes sacks. I just don't like the talent at all and think he's being overrated on a sum of parts thing, but the whole is not the sum of the parts on this prospect.

I am the wrong guy to ask on Daniel Jones because I do not like him at all. Weak arm. Not great accuracy. Doesn't even have a consistent throwing process when you really break down the mechanics. Takes sacks. I just don't like the talent at all and think he's being overrated on a sum of parts thing, but the whole is not the sum of the parts on this prospect.

I could not agree more about Jones. I do not get the love at all.

Back
Top Bottom