Rich Gannon on Dolphins - It’s embarrassing | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rich Gannon on Dolphins - It’s embarrassing

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon, who works Sunday’s Dolphins game on CBS, said off air that this franchise’s problems extend well beyond poor play.
“There’s a lot of turmoil and dysfunction in that organization that needs to be worked out,” he said. “They’re either going to figure it out or stay in this pattern for a while.”
He said he couldn’t understand why neither Tannehill nor anybody called timeout with 19 seconds left before the first half ended last Sunday: “It was a train wreck. Don’t let somebody else’s mistake become your mistake.”
Gannon also doesn’t understand why the same mistakes keep happening with this team: “I see guys not running the right routes, running routes short. The spacing in the routes is not where it needs to be. I know [coordinator] Bill Lazor doesn’t coach on 3rd and 6 to run a shell barely across the line of scrimmage. I am not waiting until Monday to make that correction. Get it right in practice or throw the guy out of practice.
“[And] you spend $114 million on a guy [Ndamukong Suh] and you’re 31st in run defense? That’s incredible. You don’t need the most talented guys to play good run defense. I see corners swinging and missing on perimeter runs. Poor run fits. Safeties taking poor angles. Defensive ends and linebackers getting hooked by tight ends. It’s just bad. Who’s on that side is going to say, ‘It’s embarrassing’

I think he has some valid arguments here... Maybe we don't have the right players for this system or maybe we don't have that much talent which would mean that we can't draft for ish!!!!

**** Gannon. He is a Philbin guy.

Make no mistake: any shortcomings that we see now, 90% should be pinned on Joe. Finesse team...on Joe. Poor starts to games...on Joe. Mentally weak....on Joe.

Campbell knows he needs to change these things around, but trying midseason is near impossible.

it might have been fine if Philbin had been an offensive genius

lets get a defensive genius for a HC. look at Denver and Carolina, not exactly being driven by great QB play

I think it is fair to criticize the team and some of his comments are valid. Our defense has been poor against the run and our offense has not been putting up enough points.

Is coaching a big part of the problem.....you bet it is. Obviously, the players need to do a better job, but coaching is a big factor as well. I'm also to the point I would like to see the offense go in a different direction. I'm not a Lazor fan and I think his play calling and decision making have been suspect at critical times.

When you have a bad staff you have bad performances. I like Campbell but he can only make a finesse team so tough. Let's put the big boys pants on and get a real staff in here. I really wish Ross would clean house from the top down and do this right, but unfortunately that wont happen.

Hard to argue about any of that except the part about the 3rd and 6 play calls, they have been the same going on two years now. Not blaming the players for that.

“They’re either going to figure it out or stay in this pattern for a while.”

“I see guys not running the right routes, running routes short. The spacing in the routes is not where it needs to be. I know [coordinator] Bill Lazor doesn’t coach on 3rd and 6 to run a shell barely across the line of scrimmage. I am not waiting until Monday to make that correction. Get it right in practice or throw the guy out of practice.

“It was a train wreck. Don’t let somebody else’s mistake become your mistake.”

I have noticed these issues every week Miami has played for over a decade and at times you could even say they are not "trying" out there but just waiting for the check to be deposited every week. I have noticed times when they could not even execute a simple middle school level two minute drill during games but rather let the clock run out. It is the same old issues and same old results every season and the weird thing is Miami fan shows up every year expecting to see Bob Krafts team on the field playing in their aqua & orange uniform but all they get is disappointed.

Agree completely with Hayden. This team was built around Joe Philbin and what he wanted to create and achieve....for better or worse. You want a team that resembles Dan and what he would like to create and achieve, then give him an opportunity next year. This year he has to work with what he has (and what he was given) not what he wishes he had.

IF this season continues into a **** storm, Ross deserves blame for keeping Joe, but Philbin deserves the most criticism because of keeping Coyle, depending on the guards he did and creating a completely soft team/culture.

It is clear that it is a personnel issue starting with ownership. He has made bad decisions on hiring coaches and FO staff and it trickles down. Since 2011 we have 4-5 legit starters out of 40 plus picks. You cant win like that and expect to also nail free agency when you cant even evaluate the draft right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to see here.

tumblr_mqxy6op7Xj1rth2h5o1_400-1.gif

**** Gannon. He is a Philbin guy.
Make no mistake: any shortcomings that we see now, 90% should be pinned on Joe. Finesse team...on Joe. Poor starts to games...on Joe. Mentally weak....on Joe.
No doubt Philbin left this team as bad as he found it, perhaps worse, but at some point before the end of the season it becomes Campbell's responsibility. So my question to you is "When?"

Campbell knows he needs to change these things around, but trying midseason is near impossible.
At some point during his interview to be the interim coach, someone must have asked Campbell if he could turn this team around. And Campbell must have answered "yes." So whether it's "impossible" or not, Campbell has accepted responsibility for improving the product, and if he doesn't show any ability to do that, he needs to be replaced. What this team does between now and the end of the season is Campbell's resume. He really has nothing else. He has no track record of past success in a position of any significance. Unless he can prove himself fairly convincingly by the end of the season, I certainly don't want this team committing to multiple years to an unproven coach.

I don't really think there is turmoil in our front office but every thing else he said is pretty dead on and our run d is very embarrassing .

WE have had a a huge issue drafting for most of this century and is the BIGGEST reason for our struggles. Those issues have led us to overspend on players like Marshall, Wallace, Suh, and even worse put our hopes in to players with injury histories like Albert, Moreno, and Delmas to fill key positions, all which backfired.

Back
Top Bottom