Richmond Webb.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Richmond Webb....

Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the not-so-deep pocketed Bengals are considering releasing LT Richmond Webb because they have so much money tied up in tackles.

RT Anderson is one of the best in the biz, and is paid accordingly. LT Levi Jones was the #10 overall pick this year, and is making some nice bread. Webb, also is making a pretty penny.

If Jones shows that he can hold up in the next few weeks, Webb may be discarded. I think it would be a horrible move. Webb is a great teacher/team mate and Jones would learn a tremendous amount from working with him. If they kept Webb for one more season and played Jones at LG he could learn the ropes with Webb right next to him, and get acclimated to the NFL at an easier position.

IF Webb is eventually released, I would have to say I'd be interested in signing him. I never saw many Begal games last year so i don't know how well he performed, but judging from 2 years ago he can't be any worse than what we currently have at LT.

Of course Webb would only be a band aid, but we need one now until we get a good young LT.

Just something to ponder.

Even if Webb were released and he was an upgrade over what we currently have. I seriously doubt he would want to come back. He felt he was screwed by the Dolphins' management, and that is why he was forced to sign for less money with the Bengals than he could have been making with us or elsewhere had we gave him a contract instead of continuously signing him as the franchise player.

SIGN HIM! SIGN HIM SIGN HIM SIGN HIM!

Heck, make a phone call and make a trade for him for some sh!tty pick! I don't care, we've still got all that money left over from the DG affair! He did well in Cincy last season. If he's released and the Phins don't sign him I would be piiiiissssseeed!

Its not like he left on bad terms and the only other team I can think of that might be heavily interested is the Vikes due to the problems in McKinney's contract negotiations (which have gotten to the point where Tice is ready to drop him and move on with the season). Even so McKinney might be signed by them.

For god sakes he might be the best LT the phins have ever had, let him retire a phin!

Yeah...I could see Ricmond signing as a dolphin again...and retiring 5 minutes later...;)

Originally posted by grooves12
Even if Webb were released and he was an upgrade over what we currently have. I seriously doubt he would want to come back. He felt he was screwed by the Dolphins' management, and that is why he was forced to sign for less money with the Bengals than he could have been making with us or elsewhere had we gave him a contract instead of continuously signing him as the franchise player.

I'm sorry dude, but I remember the proceedings that went on with the Webb affair, and there's really hardly a way you could be more wrong about that unless you started saying "Webb hates Wanny cuz Wanny had an affair with Webb's mother" or something. Webb wasn't angry about the two franchise tags at all because both of them paid him like 4.5 mil each season, and constituted a lot more than he would have gotten in free agency. And in the end, he left for the Bengals because the Bengals were offering way more than we were. They gave him a nice sized contract actually.

By the way Bodzilla I really hope you're not jerking our chains about this because I'm starting to get excited about it.

I don't know what his signing bonus was I think it was like $2 million, but he made a decent $1.5 million in base salary last year for the Bengals. Slated to make the same amount this year. Then in 2003 slated to make $4 million base salary but he'd obviously be cut before then.

If I remembered right it was a 3 yr contract valued at $9 or $10 million.

Just having a little fun.

My apologies.

we got rid of Webb b/c his price vs his productivity and years left in the league didn't add up. I doubt the staff thinks otherwise, don't get too excited.

I am predicting B Smith and Spriggs combined can do well at the position this year. Lots of 3 and 5 steps for Jay, LT not as much of a concern.

We let him go because the Bengals offered a 3 yr $9 million dollar contract which we felt was not worth it given the fact that we had Brent Smith on the roster. Brent Smith we had already toyed with at starting INSTEAD of Richmond Webb back when Richmond was on the roster still. He played a few games in relief of Rich, and looked good. Jimmy thought he could be better, and he had potential. Then blew out his knee. Now sucks. Then Spriggs blew out his knee. Now sucks.

If we magically transported our current situation back to last year, and Richmond Webb was set to be a free agent, we probably would have matched the Bengals offer. If you want to get all economical then do it right. Its price/productivity, vs. the price/productivity of the next best option. Back then the next best option was much more attractive than it is now...

And I think the point is not to force Jay into a bunch of 3 and 5 step drops, at least not in this offense. We need to be able to open things up deep in Norv's offense and that means play-actions and 7 step drops more often than we were doing with Gailey last season.

I agree about the cost vs productivity, and I agreed with his release(well not re-signing him). But now it is a different story, if cut he will get no more than the vet min from somebody, and I think everybody agrees that if his productivity is still close to what it was 2 years ago, the vet min is well worth it, and I believe the coaching staff would agree.

If he is indeed cut, the circumstances are completely different to when he left last offseason.

Precisely. I just hope whatever "sources" that are "talking" about the possible Richmond Webb release...are not just pure speculation based on the drafting of Levi Jones...

Joel Buchsbaum is the source.....I got the info from his quick hits on www.profootballweekly.com

Buchsbaum’s quick hits

The Browns want Melvin Fowler, who spent his whole career once he moved to offense at Maryland at center, to start at left guard. Their fallback option is journeyman pickup Barry Stokes. … It’ll be interesting to see if rookie Levi Jones claims the starting OLT spot with the Bengals, whether they’ll keep veteran Richmond Webb. Webb played fairly well last year at left tackle and gave Cincinnati its best OLT play since Anthony Munoz. However, the team has a tremendous amount of money invested in offensive tackles with the first-round pick Jones and near All-Pro ORT Willie Anderson. …

How good was Richmond Webb last year?

Bengals attempted 602 passes last year. Got sacked 28 times. QBs were Scott Mitchell, Jon Kitna, and Akili Smith. Nuff said.

Well either way you've piqued my interest and I'm not paying close attention to the Bengals tackle situation, and I've just become a big Levi Jones fan.

Back
Top Bottom