Ricky and the cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky and the cap

Scotphin

Scout Team
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before. If Ricky comes back this year, could we redo the contract to a vet minimum with incentives, but with the understanding that his $8m will be written off after 2 seasons, or something similar? Would this be a $4m cap hit ($8m over 2 years) or a $400K cap hit (vet min)?

I could be wrong but the debt was a result of a clause in his contract that dealt with the issue of early retirement. If Ricky un-retires, I don't believe the debt would still apply. Ricky is still under contract.

yankeehillbilly said:
By stipulating that the debt goes away only after Ricky has played for 2 years, the Phins would in essence be giving Ricky a performance bonus....which would count against the cap. Thats my guess, anyway.

I know you are knowledgeable about the salary cap rules because I have read your posts before but lets look at the facts.

The $8.6 million is, off the top of my head, made up of about $3.3 million of original signing bonus that the Saints charged off when Ricky was traded to the Fins. The other $5.3 million is for incentive bonuses that the Dolphins paid him and was charged to team salary in the appropriate period.

This money is not a loan but a judgement against money paid because Ricky didn't complete his contract and the Fins want it back. So if Ricky comes back and completes his contract or is traded how is the $8.6 million still owed to the Dolphins???

The money in question has also already been charged correctly to the respective teams' salary and somehow it is going to be charged again??? I don't think so.

Even if Ricky paid back the $8.6 million the Dolphins would not get a cap credit for the signing bonus portion because it was never charged to the Dolphins cap. And there is no rule that requires incentive bonuses that are repaid to the team to credit this money though that would make sense. Yet this same money should be charged to Team Salary again if he comes back and it is not repaid???

Back
Top Bottom