Ricky gets stronger in the 4th? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky gets stronger in the 4th?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
After hearing announcer after announcer make that statement about "Ricky gets stronger as the game progresses", I thought it would be interesting to check his 4th qtr stats versus some of the top backs in the league who were used in the same way. I always thought that it was just part of our game plan and the "structured" end of the game.

I'm figuring this as I type so I really am posting as I learn something here.

4th quarter

Ricky

79 attempts, 288 yards, 4 td's, and 16 first downs

Now just to put those numbers into context.

-The attempts are 15 higher than the second most quarter.
-The yardage is 57 more than the second quarter.
-The td's is 2 more than the 1st quarter.
-The first downs is 5 more than the 2nd quarter.

To me the first downs and TD's are the most staggering results at first glance. The "end results" of the 3 other quarters in those categories pale in comparison. The attempts do not surprise me because I remember the Buffalo game :D.

Jamal Lewis

63 attempts, 325 yards, 3 td's, 15 first downs

first downs and td's is the only category that lead in his stats by qtr.

Ahman Green

Nothing resembles Ricky's stats by Qtr.

Stephen Davis

Nothing resembles Ricky's stats by Qtr.

Priest Holmes

Carries a lighter load in the 4th.

Clinton Portis

Carries a lighter load in the 4th.

Deuce Mcallister

Doesn't resemble Ricky at all.

Ladanian Tomlinson

Although he rewards the team for sticking with the run in the 4th in the end results of first downs and TD's they don't come close to running as much as the first 3 qtrs.

What I'm starting to realize here is..........

We're the Baltimore Ravens. :lol:

last year, we did not give the ball to Ricky in the 4th as much as we should have since we relied so much on him early. Last game was the first time we seemed to go to Ricky for the win since we beat the Jets in Mia last year

Originally posted by ZOD
What I'm starting to realize here is..........

We're the Baltimore Ravens. :lol:

Did you just now realize this? :) I figured everyone knew it by the time the game against the Ravens had ended. No wonder it went into OT and could have easily been a tie--the teams are mirror images of each other in almost every way.

Originally posted by dolphan39
last year, we did not give the ball to Ricky in the 4th as much as we should have since we relied so much on him early. Last game was the first time we seemed to go to Ricky for the win since we beat the Jets in Mia last year

I would say the team went to Ricky for the win in the Buffalo game this year.

Running Ricky in fourth is a good thing, if we would have done it more last year we would have won the division, the New England game sits clearly in my mind, up by td or more we threw an interception resulting in a TD and a loss, I think it was on first down, when no matter what down it is we should run in the fourth if we are up by a TD or more.
Defenses are tried and can't stop the run as well, especially if Ricky has been pounding all day.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
We have to lead or be close to give the ball to Ricky in the 4th.

This past game went against that rule. That's why I was checking the stats. It seems whatever the situation, he's the go to guy.

We can't pass our way out of a wet paper bag.

Originally posted by ZOD

This past game went against that rule. That's why I was checking the stats. It seems whatever the situation, he's the go to guy.

We can't pass our way out of a wet paper bag.

i believe the key for us is to get ricky involved in the passing game as a safety valve over the middle. i believe we have not used him much at all there and if you could hit him in stride coming across the middle that is power running in open field!

Back
Top Bottom