Ricky loves to play full-contract, huh? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky loves to play full-contract, huh?

HysterikiLL

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Pass the melodrama, it seems that Ricky is BACK *anticlimax* but from what I've been reading it seems Ricky wants more than the vet minimum of $540, 000.

Now, I ask y'all this -- Can Ricky honestly hold out or reject a damn contract? Sure Nick said he was "open to his return", but in reality, nobody pleaded for Ricky's incredulous comeback kid astro-sculpted antics.

IMO Ricky is only coming back for the money but if he wants more and we're not going to budge, what do you guys this will happen?

HysterikiLL said:
Pass the melodrama, it seems that Ricky is BACK *anticlimax* but from what I've been reading it seems Ricky wants more than the vet minimum of $540, 000.

Now, I ask y'all this -- Can Ricky honestly hold out or reject a damn contract? Sure Nick said he was "open to his return", but in reality, nobody pleaded for Ricky's incredulous comeback kid astro-sculpted antics.

IMO Ricky is only coming back for the money but if he wants more and we're not going to budge, what do you guys this will happen?

I think Miami will offer Ricky something slightly higher (a cool million maybe), but nowhere near the 3+ million his old contract would have paid him. We dont need Ricky Williams anymore, and if he pulls some holdout crap, I'll sour on him completely. Ruck Ficky if he stalls over contract disputes, he is in absolutely no position to negotiate. And I dont think Saban would put up with any contract disputes because the noise it would make would start to effect the team and what little respect any teammates have for Ricky now will be lost completelyif he holds out for a raise.

The agent is just doing his due dilligence. According to the language in Ricky's contract, he is slated to make $540,000 a year becasue he breached his new contract that the Dolphins gave him. The agent wouldn't be doing his job if he just accepted what the Fins is going to give his client. It's his job to find a loop hole in the contract that can result in getting more money for his clients. If he doesn't do that, than he will looked at by other athletes as a push over. Why do you think Drew Rosenhaus has so many clients? Because he knows how to get money out of organizations. The fans shouldn't be worried about what the media is writing, they are making a mountain out of a ant hill to sell some papers. The Dolphin Brass has all the leverage right now becasue the courts ruled in their favor, awarding them $8 millions because they said Ricky "breached" his contract. The language in the contract said, if for any reason Ricky breaches his contract, it will revert back to New Orleans old contract (vet minimum) if he wants to return.

I do not know how iron-clad the Dolphins contract is, but it seems to be in their favor and the media is trying to cause anxiety among the fans to sell a few more newspapers or receive a few more hits to their sites.

I think the only real fair thing is to pay the vet min, but with a BUNCH of incentives. Maybe that way it can get close to 2 or 3 mil. However, there has to be some penalty for leaving last year. So the full amount should not be even suggested.

I think the Dolphins will hold firm that Ricky breached his contract, and that he's only entitled to the league minimum, per the contract. Ricky's agent will counter that once Ricky returns, he's no longer in breach of his contract, and is thus entitled to his $3.7M salary. The dispute will head to an arbitrator. But, rather than risk that, I bet the Dolphins offer to forget part or all of the $8.6M Ricky owes if he agrees to play for the league minimum.

Personally, I think ricky really wants to pay off his debt to us. At the vet, minimum, that'll take longer then he plans on playing. Im sure he only plans to play for a few more years. (i'd say 4 at the most) and with his old contract, he could pay off his debt and get out with some money to spare. at the vet minimum, hes gonna owe us for life.

HysterikiLL said:

He's only coming back to get his big pay day, if Miami doesn't give him that he won't come back. You guys are much better off w/ him not coming back. He doesn't deserve another dime from the dolphins.

Saban4prez said:
Personally, I think ricky really wants to pay off his debt to us. At the vet, minimum, that'll take longer then he plans on playing. Im sure he only plans to play for a few more years. (i'd say 4 at the most) and with his old contract, he could pay off his debt and get out with some money to spare. at the vet minimum, hes gonna owe us for life.

That would have to be a backroom handshake kind of thing. If the team agrees to let him play for vet minimum and a removal of some of the debt, the part of the debt we're forgiving will count towards the salary cap.

There are so many filters this thing is going to pass through it's crazy to even try to keep up....

Bottom line, if Saban thinks RW can help the team win and bring "value" and if RW can prove he is capable, clean and productive.. a deal will be struck.

Saban4prez said:

I have also heard that if he played out the new contract that the debt would be payed in full no matter how much he is making.

I'll bet 10 dollars that if Ricky can't sign for more than the minimum he'll roll out the red carpet for Mr. Rosenhaus.

FinaticalOne said:
The agent is just doing his due dilligence. According to the language in Ricky's contract, he is slated to make $540,000 a year becasue he breached his new contract that the Dolphins gave him. The agent wouldn't be doing his job if he just accepted what the Fins is going to give his client. It's his job to find a loop hole in the contract that can result in getting more money for his clients. If he doesn't do that, than he will looked at by other athletes as a push over. Why do you think Drew Rosenhaus has so many clients? Because he knows how to get money out of organizations. The fans shouldn't be worried about what the media is writing, they are making a mountain out of a ant hill to sell some papers. The Dolphin Brass has all the leverage right now becasue the courts ruled in their favor, awarding them $8 millions because they said Ricky "breached" his contract. The language in the contract said, if for any reason Ricky breaches his contract, it will revert back to New Orleans old contract (vet minimum) if he wants to return.

I do not know how iron-clad the Dolphins contract is, but it seems to be in their favor and the media is trying to cause anxiety among the fans to sell a few more newspapers or receive a few more hits to their sites.

agree on the hosenhaus thing... but say they play ricky for the 3 million dollar contract, but they actually pay him say, 1 million, like he's paying back that 2+ million?

nyjunc said:
He's only coming back to get his big pay day, if Miami doesn't give him that he won't come back. You guys are much better off w/ him not coming back. He doesn't deserve another dime from the dolphins.
:beerbang:

Back
Top Bottom