Ricky Williams and the Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Williams and the Draft

Drafting a RB high when we have Ricky could be very useful to us. Specifically, Ronnie Brown IMO.

First of all, we arent putting all of our eggs in one basket. If Ricky sucks or flakes out, we've got Ronnie Brown. If Ronnie Brown is a bust, we've got Ricky Williams. One will likely work out. If both do, we've got something great.

Being able to split carries would be a very nice thing. We could end up giving them both 10-15 carries per game. Having two good power runners behind a big drive blocking O-line is something that will cause defensive coordinators of many teams to weep heavily.

Not only that, but Ronnie Brown could warrant being on the field the same time as another runner. He's not a great lead blocker, but he's got the making of an excellent passing-down back. He has the pass blocking skills and recieving skills to be used as a recieving fullback on passing downs, too.

painnotpleasure said:
If Ricky comes back I don't think we'll be drafting Ronnie Brown or any of the "TOP 3" running backs. We'll probably go with Alex Smith or Braylon Edwards. And by all means I am not saying Ricky Williams is "promising", "reliable" or the "answer" to our running back problems. I think we'll take a RB back in the mid rounds and/or maybe take a RB with our 1st next year. To sum it up, I don't see any logic to us having Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams on the same roster going into next season (especially when it'll probably mean Ronnie is going to back up Ricky most likely.)

Remember, Ricky cant come back until July. So, at the time of the draft, all Saban and Spielman will have is Ricky's word that he will be in shape, clean, and ready to play by the time of training camp. Whats Ricky's word worth these days?
And, Ronnie would not be backing up Ricky. Brown would start the first 4 games while Ricky serves his suspension. If he does well in those 4 games then Ricky may be used exclusively as a backup for the rest of the season.

TeeMoney said:
Maybe Saban has told Ricky, "look, if you come back I'll draft Ronnie Brown to do in the NFL what he has done in NCAA- be a relief for you and you can pull yourself when you want a rest, or Brown can block for you".

If you are sensitive to bright lights or asparagus please take 1/2 tsp of sodium chloride along with the reading of the above post
I don't think that Ricky is a factor in the draft... he is the biggest ? in the whole of the NFL.

First, there's whether or not he comes back, then how he performs, is his heart in it??

yankeehillbilly said:
Remember, Ricky cant come back until July. So, at the time of the draft, all Saban and Spielman will have is Ricky's word that he will be in shape, clean, and ready to play by the time of training camp. Whats Ricky's word worth these days?
And, Ronnie would not be backing up Ricky. Brown would start the first 4 games while Ricky serves his suspension. If he does well in those 4 games then Ricky may be used exclusively as a backup for the rest of the season.

Well said. Ricky's word doesn't count for hardly anything these days. I wasn't aware that he couldn't come back until July, I thought it was earlier. But... with that being said if we were to reach a verbal agreement before the draft (which seems highly unlikely) I think we'd go for a back like Arrington or maybe Marion Barber III rather than Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, or Cadillac Williams and instead go after maybe Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards or even Aaron Rodgers. If Ricky were to come back I'd feel that we would get a RB in the mid-round this year and/or possibly first round in the next couple years to come because GOD KNOWS Ricky wouldn't be the long term answer. But it is clear no matter what that Ricky will not be starting the first 4 games of the season due to suspension, but if he does come back and is in shape I think he'll be our starter again. Enjoyed hearing your opinions.

Dump the Ricky idea and draft Ronnie Brown!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom