Ricky Williams’ One Career Regret | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Williams’ One Career Regret

Yeah I felt that same way when it happened, I mean he was by far my favorite player. I know his decision wasn't malicious though. He was going through some stuff mentally. I wish he handled it better but he wasn't ever a scumbag or anything to that degree IMO.

He came back gave us another 1000 yard season to go along with some really great moments over those 3 years.

It's still just sports entertainment and in the end, his personal happiness comes before my fan happiness.
This post says everything. Good job

I always liked Ricky. Favorite Dolphin back all-time.

I never blamed him for retiring like most seem to. Wanny was engaged in career homicide his first two years as a Dolphin with 430 touches in 2002 and 442 in 2003.

872 touches in two years is nothing short of abusive. Wanny should have been arrested and charged with assault and battery.

I'm a Dolphins fan. We needed him and he went to go live in a tent in Australia and F'ed us.
The two seasons Williams are referring to are the 2002 and 2003 campaigns. In 2002, he rushed 383 times for an NFL-high 1,853 yards and the next season he ran 392 times for 1,372 yards.
"I could see my mortality as a football player, that I'm not going to be able to do this much longer,” Williams said. “It just became obvious to me that playing football for me is not going to be fun, not something I'm going to enjoy and it's time for me to do something different."
Williams returned to the Dolphins in 2005 after paying back a portion of his signing bonus and finishing his four-game ban for failing a drug test. He was also suspended for the entire 2006 season after failing another drug test.

Williams ended his career in 2011 with 10,009 rushing yards and 66 touchdowns in 10 seasons with Miami, the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens.
- Scooby Axson

BY
SI WIRE
e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

ADVERTISEMENT

I always liked Ricky. Favorite Dolphin back all-time.

I never blamed him for retiring like most seem to. Wanny was engaged in career homicide his first two years as a Dolphin with 430 touches in 2002 and 442 in 2003.

872 touches in two years is nothing short of abusive. Wanny should have been arrested and charged with assault and battery.

Wanny is a team destroyer. No one ever talks about how he destroyed the bears on his own.

Wouldve been cool for him to come back here, clearly he thought of us as his 'home' team.... not the Saints or Ravens

I bet he would retire if we had an actual qb
blame the organisation for starting that qb thrash and continuing that trend when they could have had Aaron rodgers and frank gore instead of ronnie brown

People who still think Ricky just quit "to go smoke weed" are still oblivious to the situation and are simply ignorant and childish.

Wannstedt drove him into the ground because he failed to acquire any other talent and mature our offensive capabilities. We were in another offseason of not increasing talent offensively and Ricky being pounded into the ground again. Wannstedt wasn't listening and Ricky was breaking down physically and mentally and couldn't sustain it another season. Then toss on top of that fire Ricky's mental health issues which exacerbate it all.

Folks should hold the big grudge against Wannstedt. Any coincidence once The Stache was gone Ricky came back and played pretty damn well for us alongside Ronnie Brown?

Last edited:
Retiring was indeed selfish. But as others have mentioned, when you consider his mental health issues and how Wannstedt used him, I can't blame him too much. He came back and worked hard for the Phins afterwards. I've got nothing but love for Ricky, as a player and a person.

Flushing two seasons of ours down the drain because he was an irresponsible piece of trash? Loved Ricky but he's in the hall of scumbags for that crap.
This post says alot more about you than about Williams... I'll just leave it at that.

You don’t just quit on your team the night before camp opens. Time heals wounds and Ricky came back because he owned the Dolphins money for his signing bonus. But people here trying to spin that Ricky was just making a life choice and wanted to retire are not taking in account how quit before camp started. How he made the Dolphins a laughing stock. How he quit on his teammates. he coulda retired in February March April may. But he did it the last minute.

he came back because of the signing bonus. He played well and I worked hard. I like him. But let’s not act like it was not a big deal and didn’t devastate this franchise. All those picks wasted on someone who quit. Yes and wanny sucked and was at fault. I dislike him a lot.

People who still think Ricky just quit "to go smoke weed" are still oblivious to the situation and are simply ignorant and childish.

Wannstedt drove him into the ground because he failed to acquire any other talent and mature our offensive capabilities. We were in another offseason of not increasing talent offensively and Ricky being pounded into the ground again. Wannstedt wasn't listening and Ricky was breaking down physically and mentally and couldn't sustain it another season. Then toss on top of that fire Ricky's mental health issues which exacerbate it all.

Folks should hold the big grudge against Wannstedt. Any coincidence once The Stache was gone Ricky came back and played pretty damn well for us alongside Ronnie Brown?
Yep. What he did at age 32 w 1100 yards was incredible. Also, about the weed. Turns out he was ahead of the curve - refusing the team-prescribed opioids and using marijuana to deal w the pain he had. In retrospect he really got ****ed by the league.

You don’t just quit on your team the night before camp opens. Time heals wounds and Ricky came back because he owned the Dolphins money for his signing bonus. But people here trying to spin that Ricky was just making a life choice and wanted to retire are not taking in account how quit before camp started. How he made the Dolphins a laughing stock. How he quit on his teammates. he coulda retired in February March April may. But he did it the last minute.

he came back because of the signing bonus. He played well and I worked hard. I like him. But let’s not act like it was not a big deal and didn’t devastate this franchise. All those picks wasted on someone who quit. Yes and wanny sucked and was at fault. I dislike him a lot.
I was devastated when he quit but it did help rid the team of wannstache earlier than he likely would have been canned. I don’t think Ricky’s quitting set the team back really. I mean, wannstedt wasted the best single season rushing performance in team history in 2002 w that epic choke in Foxboro. Point is, even when Ricky was running like Jim Brown we weren’t good enough to even make the playoffs. Sub-standard QB play and wuss for a coach - we weren’t going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom