Rights to Henson Cost a Future 2nd | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rights to Henson Cost a Future 2nd

relive1972

Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be worth it.

Henson is working out at the IMG complex with former quarterbacks coach Larry Kennan in an attempt to get back in football shape and show interested NFL teams what kind of ability he has. The Texans own his rights after selecting Henson in the sixth round of the 2003 draft and are interested in trading him. The asking price is believed to be a future second-round pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...g=insidedishhensonwantstob&prov=tsn&type=lgns

they haven't signed him, so they don't have the rights to him. he;ll re-enter the draft, odds are.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
they haven't signed him, so they don't have the rights to him. he;ll re-enter the draft, odds are.

They have the rights to him, they drafted him last year in the 6th. They can trade those rights to another team without having to sign him first. It's been done on draft day in past years.

This is real interesting, imagine we get our future QB, AND two number one picks this year.....hmmmmmm.

Originally posted by inFINSible
This is real interesting, imagine we get our future QB, AND two number one picks this year.....hmmmmmm.

Still don't know anything 'bout Henson. Anybody have a good link?

The Texans reliquinsh his rights on March 3rd, at which time he becomes eligible for the draft.

Houston would take a dirty pair of tube socks for Henson come February, cause there not gonna get SQUAT

I don't understand how that article comes to the conclusion that someone would spend a first round pick on him should he enter the draft.

There STILL isn't an agreement in place between him and the Yankees... and without him signing something saying he is giving back all that money the Yankees gave him, there is no guarantee that he will actually play in the NFL. PLUS, he hasn't played football in what?? three years now??

I would be willing to spend a 3rd rounder on him... but a FIRST?? or even a second?? that seems a little high to me.

But in steps demand. With Henson actually heading to a football facility to work out and get in football shape, show teams what he can still do...

That means he's back in the game. Folks know its just a matter of time before the baseball thing is resolved and they've got Drew Henson, a guy destined to be a top five pick in the draft not more than 3-4 years ago, in the fold. The baseball thing has likely matured him too (remember what we were saying about Crash Jenkins? his experience in baseball gave him perspective).

I've seen 2004 draft projections of this guy. Saw him ranked as high as 12th on a reputable site like Great Blue North. So that means a bunch of teams out there will be clamoring to give up a low pick to a team that is about to lose his rights anyway to get ahold of this guy. You got 20 teams offering you a 4th round pick, and one team offering a 3rd round pick, who do you give it to? Then you tell those 20 teams that such and such is offering a 3rd round pick and you're going to go with them unless you beat it, and what happens one of them ups the ante to a 2nd rounder.

The only problem as I see it is that I THINK that if, say, the Texans trade us the rights to Henson some time in February when they are gettin desperate, we probably have only until March 3rd to negotiate with Henson and get him signed to a deal otherwise he just enters the draft, becomes a high first round pick, and all the sudden has all that leverage to get a nicer deal done.

Ok go look at Carson Palmer's. That is a pathetic place to get a player profile.

Negatives: Lacks a quick arm, as the ball does not explode out of his hands … Does not take command of the huddle the way he should … Plays well in spurts, but until the second half of 2002, he did not show consistency … Can be rattled under pressure … Very streaky thrower who makes poor decisions when off his game, eyeing his primary targets too long … Needs to do a better job of reading and reacting to the pass rush … Will spray the ball at times on his long tosses.

If I didn't know better, it sounds like they're talking about Fielder.

Instead of reading what the stupid NFL site says go watch some videos of him.

He has the arm, size, and intangibles.

It is my understanding that he must sign with Houston before being traded. He must also fit within the constraints of the 2003 rookie pool. Thus, unless he's willing to take far less money by signing now, he will go back into the draft and make much money upfront

Back
Top Bottom