Rio Ferdinand banned 8 months for missing a drug test | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rio Ferdinand banned 8 months for missing a drug test

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=286549&cc=5901

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=286547&cc=5901

I think Rio Ferdinand is being treated unfairly. A Manchester City player did the same thing Ferdinand did and he only received a fine (which was way smaller than Rio's fine). Rio Ferdinand later passed a drug test and now he is getting banned for 8 months. This is just ridiculous because Edgar Davids got 4 months for failing a drug test. Ferdinand should be punished, but he should be suspended for a week, not 8 months. I really hope the ban is shortened, because even though I hate Manchester United I think this punishment is unfair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That really sucks for Man U and England. If that is the case then yes they should shorten it, but maybe there is more to the story yet to be released/known.

There isn't. He was supposed to take a test, but he missed it. He then took the test soon after and passed. He is getting punished because he missed the test, and they are really using him as an example.

This is really bad for England because he will miss Euro 2004 if the punishment stands.

Let it be known the rule is if you miss a drug test, the punishment is a 2 year ban which is what I thought they were going to give him. I personally believe the greater the punishment, the lesser the chances of an athlete making the offense.

And I never heard of him finally taking the drug test after he intentionally missed the routine one? Either way, I think the punishment is fair, if not too little. I'm a firm believer of following rules in everything - as in this case for the sake of the sport's future. I don't feel sorry for nobody in these cases. Europeans have high standards and they don't funk around unlike us, that's why they don't have guys pulling out cell phones after scoring a goal. Thats my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
Let it be known the rule is if you miss a drug test, the punishment is a 2 year ban which is what I thought they were going to give him. I personally believe the greater the punishment, the lesser the chances of an athlete making the offense.

And I never heard of him finally taking the drug test after he intentionally missed the routine one? Either way, I think the punishment is fair, if not too little. I'm a firm believer of following rules in everything - as in this case for the sake of the sport's future. I don't feel sorry for nobody in these cases. Europeans have high standards and they don't funk around unlike us, that's why they don't have guys pulling out cell phones after scoring a goal. Thats my 2 cents.

He did take a test after, and he passed. A 2 year ban is the maximum sentence, but no one thought he would receive that. People were expected something like 3 months.

What makes this punishment complete bull**** is that a Manchester City player missed a test and received no suspension and a small fine. They are making an example of out Rio Ferdinand.

Edgar Davids got 4 months for failing a drug test. Rio shouldn't receive double that for missing a test and then passing one soon after.

Possibly FIFA does it because it is a big name and If people see this they will know not to do it. If someone like "John Deer" were suspended for 8 months for missing a drug test noone would care and they would say "I am too much of a star for them to do that to me". So therefore they are making an example out of him. When does England start WC Qualifiers? If it is in the 8 month span, they will be in trouble, because he has rallied that defense to multiple wins.

Back
Top Bottom