Rishard Matthews NV WR in the 7th | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rishard Matthews NV WR in the 7th

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Joined the Wolfpack in ’10, started 12-of-14 games and totaled 56-879-5 (15.7) receiving and 5-76-0 (15.2) rushing with 25-244 (9.8) on punt returns, including a 72-yard score against Boston College, and 5-91 (18.2) on kickoff returns. Was the team’s leading receiver in ’11 after grabbing 91-1,364-8 (15.0) and also returning punts 23-307-1 (13.3) in 12 starts. Did not play in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl with a knee injury. Team captain. Has eight career fumbles.

Positives:
Good size — well-proportioned with muscle definition. Fluid and athletic. Deceptive vertical speed. Soft hands to extend and catch. Good ball reactions, hand quickness and body control. Concentrates to track and adjust — can make contested catches. Good field and boundary awareness. Makes himself available to the quarterback. Strong after the catch. Returns punts. Tough, competitive and football smart. Solid character.
Negatives:Average initial quickness (more smooth than sudden). Lacks elite top-end speed to blow by defenders or pull away from the pack. Could stand to improve route running — ran a limited tree and needs to learn how to sell patterns and get in/out of breaks more efficiently. Limited creativity after the catch. Poor effort and technique as a blocker.
Summary:Well-built, athletic, productive, “Z” receiver with reliable hands who elevated his game as a senior despite the absence of Colin Kaepernick. Still honing positional nuances but has clear developmental value.

He is great pick for being in round seven.

All the crybabies who were saying we have the worst receivers in the NFL should now zip it. :brewskis:

1364 yards and 8 TDs out of 91 receptions. Another very good late round WR pick with nice production.

Him and the other receiver probably are more ready to contribute right away than most 6th and 7th round picks.

I really like this kid...he didn't play against the highest competition, but from what I've seen he gets a ton of separation, and even when he doesn't, he's physical enough to get through the first or second guy and turn it upfield...

Seems like a lot of these late round WR's have issues getting off the LoS. With all the motion we're supposed to run their disadvantage may not be such a big disadvantage.

That guy really ticked me off in the Boise State game two years ago. Boise State needed to win to lock up a BCS bid but they couldn't stop Kaepernick or Matthews in the second half.

I really do think Matthews and Cunningham could do some good things for us in our offense!

I love reading the positives and negatives of players like him. Some of the "opinion" on both ends completely contradict the other.

these guys are not number 1s or even 2s in some situations, they are role receivers in a wco. I get tired of hearing miami media talking about replacing our big loss. They do not have to. They are role receivers. The same as those currently on the roster.

Back
Top Bottom