Rivera leaves Chicago | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rivera leaves Chicago

In_Flames

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bears part ways with D-coordinator Rivera
NFL.com wire reports

"LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Feb. 19, 2007) -- Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera will not return next season. Rivera, who has talked with eight different NFL teams about their head coaching job the last two seasons, including San Diego last week, had a contract that was set to expire this month. The NFC champions announced that he will not be back."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/10007836

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago doesn't plan to retain D-coordinator Rivera

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

"Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has interviewed for nine head coach positions in the NFL over the past two years but landed none of them, is poised to become a man without a job. It is believed that Ron Rivera earned $500,000 as the Bears' defensive coordinator in 2006. Negotiations between Bears officials and Rivera's representatives, aimed at extending the coach's contract, have produced no progress toward a new deal and have broken off. Unless the discussions are suddenly revived, and a new contract is struck before Tuesday, Rivera will become a free agent."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771399

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from KFFL.com:

Bears | Rivera not renewed, team likely to promote Babich
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:47:12 -0800
"Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Chicago Bears have opted not to renew the contract of defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, leaving one of the top defensive minds in the game without a job. The team wanted to pursue a long-term plan for the position due to Rivera's candidacy for numerous head coaching positions and head coach Lovie Smith felt the need to move in a different direction sooner rather than later. Smith will likely promote linebackers coach Bob Babich to the newly-vacated defensive coordinator position."

Hes the Linebacker coach for Chargers now.

Hes the Linebacker coach for Chargers now.

How do you go from NFC Champ Def. Co-ord to a LB coach? I don't understand it. Maybe there was tension with the FO or something?

Wow. I just dont think it makes sense at all.

What implications do you think this will have on the Bears' def.?

Seems the wheels are falling off another 2006 juggernaut!

I would have thought that maybe Chicago's OC would get canned before the DC. It was Chicago's poor offense that played into Indy's hands in the SB, and it's not like Indy's offense can't score. :shakeno:

Seems the wheels are falling off another 2006 juggernaut!

I would have thought that maybe Chicago's OC would get canned before the DC. It was Chicago's poor offense that played into Indy's hands in the SB, and it's not like Indy's offense can't score. :shakeno:
Yes but the D played way too soft, but I cant imagine why they would.nt want him back, and then to go from a DC, to a lb coach. A SB team DC....I dont get it.

How do you go from NFC Champ Def. Co-ord to a LB coach? I don't understand it. Maybe there was tension with the FO or something?

Wow. I just dont think it makes sense at all.

What implications do you think this will have on the Bears' def.?

I thought this this morning too. I was really shocked when I saw he left the Bears DC position to be the LB coach for the chargers... Almost seems like a demotion

I dont think it will effect the Bears defense too much. The players are still there, they have an awful lot of talent on that D

He really must be a bad interview. He was interviewing for HC jobs just a few weeks ago. Now he is just a LB Coach. Wonder what all went on with that.

Back
Top Bottom