Rizzi Meeting With The Packers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rizzi Meeting With The Packers

How much can he take? I don't blame him for leaving

I'm one of those people that think it's in the best interest of the team that he finally leaves. It has nothing to do with his coaching ability but the need to truly clean out the coaching tree here once and for all.

WIth the previous regime changes, Philbin, Campbell, Gase etc Rizzi has been a constant. It's time!

Almost seems intentional. If it were a legitimate interview Rizzi would have been first, not last. The later interviewees always have the advantage anyway, as the Packers general manager conceded in his speech introducing LaFleur. If the Dolphins wanted to keep Rizzi they could have said hey you were very impressive, as we expected, but we were blown away by Candidate X (disregarding the alphabetical bias). Please stay. Here's a raise.

Since the Dolphins did everything in reverse it indeed looks like a token and almost a hint out the door.

Rizzi was anything but overrated. I was impressed by how dependably he picked the correct body type for each role. Then once that new 25 yard line kickoff rule was instituted I expected countless examples of guys bringing it out when they should not. Actually it's been the reverse. The Dolphins first and later the league in general understood the value of that 25 yard line.

BTW, the onside kick strategy of intentionally slamming it toward the defenders via line drive is the one aspect the league was slow to figure out, after the rules changes made the traditional onside kick far less available. All season we saw stupid choices like the deep pooch kick into a gap that is quickly no gap at all. I was waiting for some sharp team to figure out that the ricochet holds the highest percentage of likelihood, similar to tennis players who sometimes intentionally aim for the body of the opponent across the net.

Finally that strategy showed up in the playoffs. I'm sure we'll see more of it.

The Dolphins basically leaked to everyone that it was going to be Richard or Flores before they even interviewed Rizzi. They told him five minutes after his interview he wasn't getting the job. They told the media five minutes after that that it was going to be Flores. Now we're hearing that the assistant head coaching position (which had been Rizzi's job for a while) will likely be handed to Jim Caldwell.

Understandable that he'd want to go see what his options are after that sequence of events. He knows he has no path to advancement here. Also, when the Packers hired LaFleur there was a lot of scuttlebutt that he's not ready for the job and he doesn't have the presence to lead the team. In that case, a guy like Rizzi could be a great pickup for him. Assistant head coaching experience.

Wasn't Rizzi out on vacation during the initial interviews?

The coaching carousel is tough in the NFL. I'd have liked to keep Rizzi, but when vacancies open in a promoted position a franchise is tested with how much they really value the good ol' ST coach.

In the grand scheme, it's not a major deal. I wish him well.

Wasn't Rizzi out on vacation during the initial interviews?

The coaching carousel is tough in the NFL. I'd have liked to keep Rizzi, but when vacancies open in a promoted position a franchise is tested with how much they really value the good ol' ST coach.

In the grand scheme, it's not a major deal. I wish him well.

It's an NFL head coaching interview. If you tell Rizzi "We would like to interview you on X date," he shows up on X date. You bet your ass he does. At the very least, you give him 24 hours before you tell him "Hey, sorry, **** off." And maybe wait until the new coach is hired to tell him, "Hey, Jim Caldwell will be the new assistant head coach, you are being demoted."

I do think it's a bit of a major deal, because I've come to believe that Darren Rizzi is a really good special teams coach. I am sad.

I don't wish him well with another team, because it looks like he will be moving to the competition, but I wish Miami had handled this a little bit better. I wish him well in his personal life, I suppose.

I hope it’s not over, unless Flores just doesn’t want him. If Flores is happy to have him, I wish someone could repair this. Maybe he’s comfortable with his routine and lifestyle in Miami and is willing to stay if someone talks to him the right way.

I know I'm in the minority on this one -- but I think it's time Rizzi moved on.

I think he may be tad overrated in these parts as a teams guru (see the Pats game)

but an amazing talent scouting/developing kickers.

Of course I reserve the right to be wrong.

I agree - I dig the guy and he has been good for us but some cracks started showing this year. I wish him well and advancement moving on.

I think it is a big deal loosing Rizzi. Good great coaches even assistants are harder to find and keep than great players.
Last year Bill Billicheat begged his old ol coach to come back to find and coach the ol players to protect Brady.
When you get a excellent assitant coach what many fail to realize you suddenly get better draft picks. Guys get coached up and those draft picks are suddenly used on talent rather than some need.
I kinda laugh when a team uses a high pick on a kicker.
If I am an owner paying some good great coach more makes much more sense than some great player.
Flores should be begging Rizzi to stay.

It's an NFL head coaching interview. If you tell Rizzi "We would like to interview you on X date," he shows up on X date. You bet your *** he does. At the very least, you give him 24 hours before you tell him "Hey, sorry, **** off." And maybe wait until the new coach is hired to tell him, "Hey, Jim Caldwell will be the new assistant head coach, you are being demoted."

I do think it's a bit of a major deal, because I've come to believe that Darren Rizzi is a really good special teams coach. I am sad.

I don't wish him well with another team, because it looks like he will be moving to the competition, but I wish Miami had handled this a little bit better. I wish him well in his personal life, I suppose.

The Packers ST are competition? Eh.

I think if the rest of our pieces are solid, we’ll be just fine, personally.

Hey if you dig Winter , Wisconsin is awesome , but if it were me I’d just have my agent get me a big fat raise from the Dolphins.

No time stamp but this one was posted around 16:50

No time stamp but this one was posted around 17:00

They told him they wanted to retain him and gave him permission to interview. A move to the frozen tundra sounds like hell to me but....

Sounds like it was a token interview. Being a regional territory manager for an insurance company I’ve done more than my share of those. “Qualified candidate already identified”
But, in this case, was a truly MORE "qualified candidate already identified"?

Back
Top Bottom