Rizzi To Interview For Miami Hc Position | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rizzi To Interview For Miami Hc Position

I laughed at this move at first, but I've opened up to it a little more. All of these potential candidates are crap shoots at this point. Rizzi actually has HC experience, and has been virtually HCing this team for awhile I feel like (handling many of the responsibilities).

The big question/problem will be who he could get as his coordinators and staff. The same area that helped cost Gase his job. Rizzi has only really worked for Miami that I know of, so not sure how many connections he has out there. I would think he may struggle to assemble a staff. However, if he could manage to lock up Bowles at DC I would much more inclined to give him a shot.

Does anyone know is his background more offense or defense? All I know of is ST, not sure which side of the ball he coached on before that.
He was DC for a few years at New Haven, where he was also HC later on. He also played TE for NH.

HC at Rhode Island for 1 year, as well.

Posted 18-23 record as collegiate HC. In fairness, those schools are not exactly power house programs.

One thing about Rizzi is his units have consistently over performed their talent level. Our special teams have been top notch under his tenure.

One thing about Rizzi is his units have consistently over performed their talent level. Our special teams have been top notch under his tenure.
He has done an outstanding job.

There were a couple instances last year, one being an ongoing problem with blocking on punts, where I was shocked that they weren't prepared. Doesn't happen often.

He was DC for a few years at New Haven, where he was also HC later on. He also played TE for NH.

HC at Rhode Island for 1 year, as well.

Posted 18-23 record as collegiate HC. In fairness, those schools are not exactly power house programs.

he was 18-23 as collegiate HC??? and people want to make him D head coach? NO

So we are judging his qualifications solely on his collegiate coaching career and discounting the last 10 years as a coach in the NFL? He’s not learned anything since 2009? Are we erasing the last 10 years coaching experience of all the other candidates too?

I’m not advocating for Rizzi or proclaiming he's the best candidate but judging him solely on his HC coaching from 10 years ago is short sighted imo.

Last edited:
So we are judging his qualifications solely on his collegiate coaching career and discounting the last 10 years as a coach in the NFL? He’s not learned anything since 2009? Are we erasing the last 20 10 years coaching experience of all the other candidates too?

I’m not advocating for Rizzi or proclaiming hes the best candidate but judging him solely on his HC coaching from 10 years ago is short sighted imo.

Fair enough but... 10 years in the league and he's obviously a known commodity.

How many teams are lining up to interview him for HC???

And the zinger he suffered by the Pats this year was pretty embarrassing for a dude with his supposed chops

and extensive background focused EXCLUSIVELY on teams.

Not knocking the guy. He's brilliant (!) evaluating kickers and getting them to produce -- but

I really don't see him as our solution @HC.

Beyond that -- he'll stay in Miami because he has 10 years in the area and unless he's HC elsewhere why leave???

Rizzi didn't really get beat by the Patriots special teams coaches. John Denney just flubbed two blocks.

Denney will probably finally be replaced this off-season.

So we are judging his qualifications solely on his collegiate coaching career and discounting the last 10 years as a coach in the NFL? He’s not learned anything since 2009? Are we erasing the last 20 10 years coaching experience of all the other candidates too?

I’m not advocating for Rizzi or proclaiming hes the best candidate but judging him solely on his HC coaching from 10 years ago is short sighted imo.
I don't think the record is a huge deal. I didn't look it up, but I would guess that's probably the ceiling for those schools.

The fact that his only coordinator experience is a few years DC, at a below average program, is a bit concerning.

I have no idea what kind of game planning expertise he has.

Rizzi didn't really get beat by the Patriots special teams coaches. John Denney just flubbed two blocks.

Denney will probably finally be replaced this off-season.

NOT a fan of absolving coaches of their responsibility.

The Cheats found a weakness and exploited it.

Then exploited it again!

No matter what way you slice it -- that's the coaches responsibility

to anticipate and recognize a "weakness" before it gets exposed.

And certainly NOT allow it twice in the same game!

My opinion. Of course.

I don't think the record is a huge deal. I didn't look it up, but I would guess that's probably the ceiling for those schools.

The fact that his only coordinator experience is a few years DC, at a below average program, is a bit concerning.

I have no idea what kind of game planning expertise he has.

exactly why he would have to go into his interview w an excellent OC and DC in mind that he could land. No clue about any OC options though.

Rizzi will get us the first overall pick. Make it so number one.

look, idk who the best candidate is but in regards to rizzi...

at least hes not a fraud like gase and philbin, who only got interviews based on the fact they were in OC positions with elite qbs.

Rizzi actually gets something out of the guys on the bottom of the roster...he has guys like mike hull, walt aikens, spencer paysingers hang around on the team for years due to their special teams play....his unit has been the only steady one thru the philbin and gase eras.

now im not saying rizzi is the answer, but im also not saying he isnt. Theres no way of knowing.

Theres got to be a reason why he has survived all the coaching changes. He basically had to hold Gases hand.

Gase was clearly an arrogant douche who thought he was the smartest guy in the organization. According to an article he even threatened Ross that he could tear down the entire organization with his complete control over the roster if he wanted to. Rizzi has that scrappy fight for what you get mentality like the bottom of the roster guys who have to ball out on ST just to stay on the roster. Im sure this is one of the qualities players respect. Rizzi has paid his dues on his own merit. He wasnt put in his position because he was friends with nick saban and had the title OC while arguably the best qb of all time was running the offense.

Back
Top Bottom