Ronnie Brown does not equal Bo Jackson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Brown does not equal Bo Jackson

JJ777

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I had been reading the forums and everyone saying how fast Brown is for his size and that he is the second coming of Bo Jackson. So I did some research and...

On the ESPN website it states that Bo Jackson at 6'1", 230 lbs, ran a 4.12 40 yard dash. If I recall correctly, this was run at the NFL combine after his senior year of college. Reportedly this is the best 40 yard dash in the history of the combine and beating out Neon Deion Sanders who at 6'1", 180 lbs ran a 4.15.

Their height and weight seem about right and Im guessing similiar builds but...Ronnie Brown ran a 4.4+...Bo Jackson ran a FRIGGIN 4.12!!! DANG!!!

Not that Im down on RB...but he aint no BJ.

i've always read and heard deion ran the fastest time at the combine, not to dispute you but that's what i've always heard

Bo Jackson did not beat the time laid down by Deion because Deion's time came after Bo's. I am skeptical of this story for that reason.

The reason Ronnie isn't Bo Jackson has nothing to do with speed IMHO. It has to do with vision. I think they may be close physically, but Bo had tremendous vision on both the baseball and football fields. Even as an Alabama fan, I have to lament that we didn't get to see all that Bo could have done on the football field due to his love of baseball and that tragic injury.

Jimmy James said:
Bo Jackson did not beat the time laid down by Deion because Deion's time came after Bo's. I am skeptical of this story for that reason.

The reason Ronnie isn't Bo Jackson has nothing to do with speed IMHO. It has to do with vision. I think they may be close physically, but Bo had tremendous vision on both the baseball and football fields. Even as an Alabama fan, I have to lament that we didn't get to see all that Bo could have done on the football field due to his love of baseball and that tragic injury.
i'm a BAMA fan too and i'm glad as hell to see caddy and ronnie and even cambell leave even though the tide pretty much contained the two backs when we played them. What's even better is now i get to cheer for ronnie

A friend of mine watched a show on the Discovery Channel (I believe) where a guy broke down footage of olympic sprinters' 40 times and claimed it was impossible for football players to break the 4.3 mark.

Here's an article about it: http://www.usolympicteam.com/11611_32384.htm

Here's a snippet:

Ben Johnson is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track's top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul's Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.

Then again, maybe Ben Johnson isn't the fastest 40-yard man in the world.

Maybe half the NFL is faster.

infiltrateib said:
A friend of mine watched a show on the Discovery Channel (I believe) where a guy broke down footage of olympic sprinters' 40 times and claimed it was impossible for football players to break the 4.3 mark.

Thanks kindly for the link. That was a great read.

I'm confused. Just because Johnson is the fastest at 100 m, he's the fastest at 40 m automatically? That logic is flawed because some people are better at longer distances.

jnewmant said:
i'm a BAMA fan too and i'm glad as hell to see caddy and ronnie and even cambell leave even though the tide pretty much contained the two backs when we played them. What's even better is now i get to cheer for ronnie

I agree on all counts. I would have preferred Ronnie in crimson, but I understand why the team has been losing out on guys like him. I might be in the minority of BAMA fans, but I'm far more forgiving of guys like him choosing Auburn than guys who choose that nasty orange team to the north. At any rate, Mike will have the team turned around soon enough and Miami can start drafting Alabama alums. :)

JJ777 said:
I had been reading the forums and everyone saying how fast Brown is for his size and that he is the second coming of Bo Jackson. So I did some research and...

On the ESPN website it states that Bo Jackson at 6'1", 230 lbs, ran a 4.12 40 yard dash. If I recall correctly, this was run at the NFL combine after his senior year of college. Reportedly this is the best 40 yard dash in the history of the combine and beating out Neon Deion Sanders who at 6'1", 180 lbs ran a 4.15.

Their height and weight seem about right and Im guessing similiar builds but...Ronnie Brown ran a 4.4+...Bo Jackson ran a FRIGGIN 4.12!!! DANG!!!

Not that Im down on RB...but he aint no BJ.

As long as he doesnt have an injury shortened career like Bo I will be happy, for all his speed he wont be in the hall of fame.

infiltrateib said:

Here's an article about it: http://www.usolympicteam.com/11611_32384.htm

Here's a snippet:

Ben Johnson is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track's top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul's Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

And, as we learned later, with muscles built with the assistance of the anabolic steroid stanazolol.

Four-point-three-eight seconds.

Then again, maybe Ben Johnson isn't the fastest 40-yard man in the world.

Maybe half the NFL is faster.

What a crock!! I ran the 40 in 4.08 back in high school. They timed me twice and and it was exactly the same the next time. I asked if it was the fastest ever, and they said, not even close......wait a minute, we are talking mintues here, RIGHT??

ih8brady said:
I'm confused. Just because Johnson is the fastest at 100 m, he's the fastest at 40 m automatically? That logic is flawed because some people are better at longer distances.

You missed a part: "Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds."

50m is ~55 yards. He ran faster than the world records at that distance. So, if he had been in a race with everyone else in the history of olympic sprinting (him running 100m, and everyone else running 50m) he still would have beaten all of them.

Also, remember these olympic sprinters train to be FAST only. Not to have bulk (though sprinters tend to for momentum) or break tackles or take a hit.

Back
Top Bottom