Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles

well said KB which is why although the people who do this for a living praise the 3 RBs they, as a whole, rate Brown higher.

It's really confusing as to which player should be picked, Caddy, Brown, Benson their all interesting players but all have question marks in one way or another. Brown may end up being great but then again if he was so great why did he share carries with Caddy and why does it seem Caddy had the majority of the carries and not brown? It appears at least to me that Benson was the more dominant back of the three but he had so many carries is he worn out already? Of course we can speculate all we want but Saben may have a different player in mind entirely than Edwards or Smith or the three Running backs. The Draft sure will be interesting.

I've quit trying to convince all these people who doubt Ronnie Brown just because he split carries in college with Caddy.

It's like trying to talk to a brick wall.

MiamiMan147 said:
Saban knows what Brown and Williams bring to the table better than any other NFL coach or scout. He's had to gameplan against them for the past few years. He's not gonna draft either of them based on their combine numbers alone.

Exactly!

DolphinDevil28 said:
I've quit trying to convince all these people who doubt Ronnie Brown just because he split carries in college with Caddy.

amen...

DolphinDevil28 said:

and I'm quit trying to convince all the Ronnie Brown combine bandwagoners, that Caddy is a better runner then Brown. Brown might be a more complete package b/c of his hands and blocking, but which is harder to teach someone, vision or how to catch and block. Vision is the biggest factor when it comes to RB's, not if he can catch or block.Caddy has amazing vision, Brown has average vision. I'll take Caddy anyday of the week, espcially since he put on weight.

OneHondo said:
It's really confusing as to which player should be picked, Caddy, Brown, Benson their all interesting players but all have question marks in one way or another. Brown may end up being great but then again if he was so great why did he share carries with Caddy and why does it seem Caddy had the majority of the carries and not brown? It appears at least to me that Benson was the more dominant back of the three but he had so many carries is he worn out already? Of course we can speculate all we want but Saben may have a different player in mind entirely than Edwards or Smith or the three Running backs. The Draft sure will be interesting.

Eric Dickerson shared carries at SMU with Craig James. Would you question how good Dickerson really was because he shared carries with another runner?

Using the fact that Ronnie and Caddy shared carries is as bad of an argument against either one as saying that Benson had too many carries is against him.

You don't base your draft off college numbers. You base it off physical ability and intangible qualities you might see. The only thing stats are used for is an objective parameter that may separate two close athletes.

Stats can also be twisted any way you want them as well. Despite having less carries than Cadillac and Cedric, Ronnie Brown had more runs of 30+ yards than either back. So, if Ronnie doesn't have pure running ability, how does the fact that he made more big runs than the other two runners make sense?

Some of you are so damn intent on pumping up the runner that you want Miami to get that you slight the other two runners, when in fact, these three runners are as good as any runner that has come out of college in the last 10 years. Determining who is better between the three is like splitting hairs. In my opinion, the completeness of Ronnie Brown gives him the advantage.

knight6jb said:
and I'm quit trying to convince all the Ronnie Brown combine bandwagoners, that Caddy is a better runner then Brown.

No, see there is a difference. THAT actually is debatable.

I'm just so sick of the people who say that it is FINAL that Brown will not be that good JUST because he split carries in college and ran a sub 4.4 at the combine.

What would they rather him do, run a 5.6?

knight6jb said:
and I'm quit trying to convince all the Ronnie Brown combine bandwagoners, that Caddy is a better runner then Brown. Brown might be a more complete package b/c of his hands and blocking, but which is harder to teach someone, vision or how to catch and block. Vision is the biggest factor when it comes to RB's, not if he can catch or block.Caddy has amazing vision, Brown has average vision. I'll take Caddy anyday of the week, espcially since he put on weight.

Brown has average vision? What, is he 20/40 whereas Caddy is 20/20?

I've watched Ronnie Brown for four years. He does not lack in vision nor instincts.

KB21 said:
Eric Dickerson shared carries at SMU with Craig James. Would you question how good Dickerson really was because he shared carries with another runner?

Using the fact that Ronnie and Caddy shared carries is as bad of an argument against either one as saying that Benson had too many carries is against him.

You don't base your draft off college numbers. You base it off physical ability and intangible qualities you might see. The only thing stats are used for is an objective parameter that may separate two close athletes.

Stats can also be twisted any way you want them as well. Despite having less carries than Cadillac and Cedric, Ronnie Brown had more runs of 30+ yards than either back. So, if Ronnie doesn't have pure running ability, how does the fact that he made more big runs than the other two runners make sense?

Some of you are so damn intent on pumping up the runner that you want Miami to get that you slight the other two runners, when in fact, these three runners are as good as any runner that has come out of college in the last 10 years. Determining who is better between the three is like splitting hairs. In my opinion, the completeness of Ronnie Brown gives him the advantage.

I agree completely, numbers are nothing, otherwise Ron Dayne would be the ebst back in NFL history, and I also agree it is hard to determine who is the best out of the three, but from watching them, my opinion goes to Caddy, I'm not one to say Brown wont be good, but I feel Caddy is a better actual RB than Brown, and I feel that he will fit in Linehans system better than Brown. But I would be happy with any of the three.

Doktor Ivel said:
hes good, but I'v now relized that we shouldnt get him. Hes not the bpa, and there will be great rbs in later rounds

bpa at #2 (imo if sanfran grabs a QB) could very well be Braylon with whatever QB is left b/t Smith/Rodgers very tight as the bpa at that point as well. Because of this and Saban has said he won't draft on need based on being so high at #2 but what will help us the best way for the longest time....i don't think we're going RB w/the #2 pick.

knight6jb said:
I agree completely, numbers are nothing, otherwise Ron Dayne would be the ebst back in NFL history, and I also agree it is hard to determine who is the best out of the three, but from watching them, my opinion goes to Caddy, I'm not one to say Brown wont be good, but I feel Caddy is a better actual RB than Brown, and I feel that he will fit in Linehans system better than Brown. But I would be happy with any of the three.

I disagree with Cadillac being the better fit in Linehan's offense. The tailback in this offense is going to have to make an impact in the passing game as well as being a runner. Considering how close the three backs are as runners, it's not even close when you consider their ability in the passing game. Ronnie Brown is a far better receiver and pass blocker than either of the other two, and he brings the size to play in a single back set.

KB21 said:
Brown has average vision? What, is he 20/40 whereas Caddy is 20/20?

I've watched Ronnie Brown for four years. He does not lack in vision nor instincts.

ANd you're going to tell me he has vision as good as Caddy's??? I'm sorry, but from watching them both over and over again, Caddy see's alot more opening up around the field, he see's cutbacks and takes them, where in my opinion Brown doesn't and will lower his shoulder, gaining extra yards, where as there is nothing wrong with this, but I prefer Caddy's vision to Ronnie's without a doubt.

KB21 said:
I disagree with Cadillac being the better fit in Linehan's offense. The tailback in this offense is going to have to make an impact in the passing game as well as being a runner. Considering how close the three backs are as runners, it's not even close when you consider their ability in the passing game. Ronnie Brown is a far better receiver and pass blocker than either of the other two, and he brings the size to play in a single back set.

Brown is more of a down hill power runner, where as Caddy is more of an elusive back. Linehan's system not doubt uses a RB with hands, and Brown are superior to Caddy's but Caddy has very good hands as well. If you look back at Linehan's offense in Minny, he didnt have a RB over 215lbs. And most of the backs were cutback runner's with good ope field speed. I'm with you guys on Ronnie being the most complete back but Caddy is a better runner, and this is a RB not a WR. I guess i just prefer the vison/agility to the power/size/hands/blocking. We will all see when the season starts though.

Back
Top Bottom