Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles

When I read "pure running ability" I assume it is meant as the innate ability of the RB to feel the flow of the defense, set-up and position defenders, and the burst of speed to exploit the overpursuit. That is a lot of words that make up the combination of lateral movement, hip swerve, and change of direction, but I guess it can be thought of as a QB's ability to "feel" the pressure in the pocket. Some have it, and some don't. Some RB's may be faster down the stretch, or more powerful at the point but the play isn't moving in slow motion for them, that is where the "pure running ability" trumps the speed and power.

TeeMoney said:
When I read "pure running ability" I assume it is meant as the innate ability of the RB to feel the flow of the defense, set-up and position defenders, and the burst of speed to exploit the overpursuit. That is a lot of words that make up the combination of lateral movement, hip swerve, and change of direction, but I guess it can be thought of as a QB's ability to "feel" the pressure in the pocket. Some have it, and some don't. Some RB's may be faster down the stretch, or more powerful at the point but the play isn't moving in slow motion for them, that is where the "pure running ability" trumps the speed and power.

Very well said!!! I couldnt have put it better myself....seriously i couldnt have!:lol:

Doktor Ivel said:
hes good, but I'v now relized that we shouldnt get him. Hes not the bpa, and there will be great rbs in later rounds

Not to call you out or anything bud, but your signature should read Who's it going to be, not Whose it going to be.

Whose is possessive, while who's is a contraction of who is. So you are asking Who is it going to be. Whose doesn't work there.

Sorry, English is one of my majors and I'm anal. :)

KB21 said:
Someone define pure running ability. I'm seeing this term used by some of you, and I don't believe you know the meaning of pure running ability. Because if you think that Ronnie Brown doesn't have pure running ability, you are dead wrong. Just because Cadillac is more shifty and has better start/stop ability in the open field than Ronnie doesn't make him the better pure runner. The advantage Cadillac brings with his wiggle and start/stop ability as an open field runner doesn't trump the advantages that Ronnie Brown's overall speed, size, power, and ability in the passing game brings.

Great post. I agree 100%.

Thanks, but KB's right, there is, as far as talent goes, a smidge of difference between the top 3 RB's. So you have to decide what is more important (personally, I think Benson's attitude and off-field troubles take him out of the equation- for Miami). In all of the Auburn games I've seen there is a palpable sense of urgency and a tingle of excitement when Caddy has the ball. As a viewer, you are waiting, and expecting, that one last guy to miss, or see all the complexities of a play reduced to a few side-steps and dips from Williams. With Brown, the play is over and you aren't really surprised at all. Well, you can see why I'm not a writer.

TeeMoney said:
Thanks, but KB's right, there is, as far as talent goes, a smidge of difference between the top 3 RB's. So you have to decide what is more important (personally, I think Benson's attitude and off-field troubles take him out of the equation- for Miami). In all of the Auburn games I've seen there is a palpable sense of urgency and a tingle of excitement when Caddy has the ball. As a viewer, you are waiting, and expecting, that one last guy to miss, or see all the complexities of a play reduced to a few side-steps and dips from Williams. With Brown, the play is over and you aren't really surprised at all. Well, you can see why I'm not a writer.

Oh i agree completly, all of these backs are good and all of these backs have their own style of running. I just prefer Caddy's to Brown. I'm definitly not knocking Brown, b/c I feel he will be a very good back in this league, but after watching more and more clips and games, I have just falling in love with the way Caddy plays.

KB21 said:
Someone define pure running ability. I'm seeing this term used by some of you, and I don't believe you know the meaning of pure running ability. Because if you think that Ronnie Brown doesn't have pure running ability, you are dead wrong. Just because Cadillac is more shifty and has better start/stop ability in the open field than Ronnie doesn't make him the better pure runner. The advantage Cadillac brings with his wiggle and start/stop ability as an open field runner doesn't trump the advantages that Ronnie Brown's overall speed, size, power, and ability in the passing game brings.

I do know what pure running ability(although it is not very definable) is and i'm not just throwing the term around all the time either. He has great vision, is patience with his blocks, knows when to cutback and can go the distance any given carry. Granted Ronnie and Benson are also good at running the ball but they are behind Caddy in the pure skills he has in running the ball. Caddy isn't inept at catching the ball either, he showed at the Senior bowl and at the combine that he can catch the ball well out of the backfield. One of the main reasons Benson does not fit into the offense also is because he is not very use to catching the ball nor has he got good natural skill at catching the ball out of the backfield.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I've quit trying to convince all these people who doubt Ronnie Brown just because he split carries in college with Caddy.

It's like trying to talk to a brick wall.

Why are you trying to convince people? You have your opinion, good for you. :confused:

Cadillac weighed in at 217 pounds at the combine.

I forgot which draft site it was, either the one from ESPN or Sportingnews, said that Carnell Williams is "pound for pound" the toughest RB in the draft. That is said for a guy that weighs 217 pounds. He's no softy.

I myself think Cadillac is the best RB in the draft with underrated hands, excellent vision, excellent short area burst, excellent instincts, excellent shake'n bake talent, and one hell of a tough S.O.B. Some people think he is a finesse type runner because of his wiggle talent, but he brings the load as well as any RB in the draft.
Cadillac is no joke.

1. Cadillac 2. Cedric Benson 3. Ronnie Brown

Just my opinion.

pound for pound....my 30 lb 4 year old is pretty fiesty sometimes :)

.....just being a smart-alleck :)

Ronnie Brown produced as well as the other 2 backs when he was given the oppurtunity, and he is a Freak on the Field... even in the NFL. An instant mismatch making machine. I think you would have to gameplan more when facing Brown than the other two backs. He can do it all while the other 2 are more one-dimesional. He's also Bigger, and has that extra gear. Don't get me wrong, Benson and Williams may even be better "runners"... but Ronnie Brown has the slight advantage as an NFL prospect. With that said... I will not be dissapointed at all with whoever we take at #2. I know who could possibly be taken number 2 and I want them all.

Good post, I think that only Benson is the closest thing you'll get to a one-dimensional back, but he is great at what he does. Caddy can catch and run well also, still yet to be convinced about his blocking abilities. I agree with what you said about mismatches, Ronnie definitely creates mismatches especially out in the flats against DB's. Because he is more of a north south runner that is extremely fast and powerful I think that he could definitely run over some DB's out in the flats after catching a pass and making some big gains, he will require a fast LB to keep an eye on him like Arrington, Peterson linebackers of that ilk.

TeeMoney said:
Can you explain why Brown had more runs of over 40 yards than Caddy...4-0?

knight6jb said:
and I'm quit trying to convince all the Ronnie Brown combine bandwagoners, that Caddy is a better runner then Brown. Brown might be a more complete package b/c of his hands and blocking, but which is harder to teach someone, vision or how to catch and block. Vision is the biggest factor when it comes to RB's, not if he can catch or block.Caddy has amazing vision, Brown has average vision. I'll take Caddy anyday of the week, espcially since he put on weight.

I keep looking at this from Linehan's eyes...Brown is the proto-typical type of back for his offensive scheme. Now, does Saban take him based on that, none of us know right now, but the draftniks and other experts seem to think that he will (again probably based on his potential in Linehan's O). Brown is a slashing power runner who excels after he breaks from the LOS. Benson will be better suited to a NT type offense...(run up the middle and then break to the outside if it is clogged up). He is not, however, very good in the passing game, a major prerequisite for Linehan. Caddy is more of a shifty, change of pace back with more ability than a Minor or Warwick Dunn. But not very good in the passing game either. So, based on each RBs specific abilities, Brown is the better choice for us....

I wouldn't be too unhappy with any of these guys in a Fins uniform, but also would not be a bit surprised to see him pass on any of them and go QB or WR, if we stay at #2 or trade down (which I personally think he will do)...We could pick up a back in the 3rd round that would compliment Gordon/Morris in Linehan's scheme as well. Actually, Gordon is a very intriguing prospect. His potential seems to fit well in this offensive scheme also. Potential is the operative word here on Gordon.

Caddy is more suited to the offense than Brown is, Linehan had no-one over 220 pounds on his Rb depth chart and Brown is 13 pounds heavier than that. He is also not a shifty runner like the runners he had in Minny, apart from Moe Williams, who was used in goaline and 3rd and 1 situations usually.

Back
Top Bottom