Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Brown: Measurables vs. Intangibles

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It looks quite probable that Ronnie Brown will be our first-round pick.

I'm a little nervous, though. He has all the measurables, but articles I have read question his instincts or "pure running" ability.

Some of the best football players aren't the fastest, the biggest, or the strongest, but they "get it done" better than anyone else. Look at Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, and of course, Dan Marino. From what I've read, it doesn't seem that Brown falls into this category.

I'm sure a lot of you have read or heard things I haven't. So let me know. Allay my fears, if you will.

I agree completely, He scares me a bit, thats half the reason I love Caddy, he is a pure runner, has the vision and agility already. With questions on his size (which he has put on), hands and blocking, which he has improved. Brown definitley has the size/speed, but he still scares me a bit. We will see what happens, draft is getting closer!!

There's no sense in listening to anyone. All the guy has is combine numbers and a few highlight reels. No real college production. I actually don't think there is any way Saban selects him at #2 with so many question marks. You don't get to the #2 selection in the draft and then choose a guy that may or may not be better than a guy you could get in the third round. It's silly. You take the BPA at #2. I would be really surprised if Saban didn't choose Edwards or Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban picks Smith at 2 and waits to get Sproles later in the draft. Or if he goes with Caddy (best pure runner in the draft) at #2. I just hope he doesn't care about making the natives unhappy.

ABrownLamp said:
... and then choose a guy that may or may not be better than a guy you could get in the third round....

and who, in your opinion, is this 3rd round player that is better than Ronnie Brown?

I also agree about Saban drafting Brown, I think there are going to be alot of disappointed dolphins fans. I just can't imagine Saban picking Brown at #2 based on his combine, I realize Brown produced at Auburn, but so did Caddy. and so did Benson at Texas. Best pure runner without a doubt is Caddy and I honestly feel if Saban doens't select a QB @#2 then we will somehow end up with Caddy, Pending Ricky coming back, and then I could see a WR or trading down and going defense, but in all reality what do I know, or any of us for that matter. Saban is the only one who knows what is in his head. 3 more weeks!!! GO PHINS!!!

TeeMoney said:
and who, in your opinion, is this 3rd round player that is better than Ronnie Brown?

Arrington, Faison, the Louisville kid, Barber. There are quite a few who will be there in the third round. You have to remember that not many teams need RB help, and even more will be helped during FA.

ABrownLamp said:
Arrington, Faison, the Louisville kid, Barber. There are quite a few who will be there in the third round. You have to remember that not many teams need RB help, and even more will be helped during FA.

Fason: a slasher, not good up the middle (poor lateral movement).

Arrington: another north south runner with poor lateral movement. poor patience and benifites from being the best player against mediocre opponents.

Barber: He's very good and could be a sleeper pick, but he is inexperienced and needs to add some weight to take NFL punishment.

Shelton: he is not quick, has no lateral movement and poor vision. He's a fullback.

Some of those guys would be fine 3rd round picks, but none of them come close to the overal NFL ready package that Brown provides. I'm not super high on Brown- if that's Saban's pick, I trust him- I'd rather have a little more excitement in a RB.

If we don't trade down I think it'll be Braylon (first) or Smith (second bet). Edwards is about as sure of a thing as you can get and many say he's the best all-around athlete available while Smith is a good QB but QB's have more ? marks then a solid WR that can be a game changer.

Saban knows what Brown and Williams bring to the table better than any other NFL coach or scout. He's had to gameplan against them for the past few years. He's not gonna draft either of them based on their combine numbers alone.

I've read and watched so much about Edwards it makes me sick. I think he is a lazy WR that lulls the defense asleep- and wakes them with an awesome play. He drops easy passes, has lapses of concentration, and runs poor routes. He has the best skills ,when he wants to, of any WR in the draft- that makes him a top pick. But if you don't keep that carrot in front of him, he'll lose interest. (IMO of course) I would rather have Williams if a WR is picked.

Benson is my favourite back in the draft. On their official numbers, Brown: 4.48, Caddy: 4.5, Benson: 4.55(average). There's not much difference in the official 40 times. I like Benson the best but he doesn't fit our offense, hands aren't good, isn't shifty like Linehan's backs in Minny. I would love to make a trade somehow with Minnesota to get the 7 pick and an 06 1st rounder from them and then pick Caddy with it, that way we get the back that best fits our offense and we don't have to pay them a huge $15M signing bonus. Plus we get future 1st rounder and something in the way of a 4th and a 5th this year to stockpile draft picks.

how does cadillac best fit the offense. cadillac doesn't fit any offense in the league that well at all unless he gets to have a back catch and block for him (like ronnie brown)

1. He is the best pure runner and has great vision and agility with good speed.
2. Had a good share of the carries in college.
3. Is shifty and hits the hole best.
4. Has good hands out of the backfield which will go good in Linehan's pass heavy offense.

Ronnie Brown is a great overall back but he is the worst out of the 3 in running style and ability.

Dolfan2788 said:
1. He is the best pure runner and has great vision and agility with good speed.
2. Had a good share of the carries in college.
3. Is shifty and hits the hole best.
4. Has good hands out of the backfield which will go good in Linehan's pass heavy offense.

Ronnie Brown is a great overall back but he is the worst out of the 3 in running style and ability.

Someone define pure running ability. I'm seeing this term used by some of you, and I don't believe you know the meaning of pure running ability. Because if you think that Ronnie Brown doesn't have pure running ability, you are dead wrong. Just because Cadillac is more shifty and has better start/stop ability in the open field than Ronnie doesn't make him the better pure runner. The advantage Cadillac brings with his wiggle and start/stop ability as an open field runner doesn't trump the advantages that Ronnie Brown's overall speed, size, power, and ability in the passing game brings.

Back
Top Bottom