Ronnie Brown Weakness | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie Brown Weakness

CD13

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Weaknesses: Is a little bit of a straight-line runner. Doesn't always show the ability to plant and drive quickly enough to hit and get through the cutback lane. He doesn't have great elusiveness. Won't make many defenders miss in the open field.

This is from the Scouts on ESPN. I am not saying they exactly know what they are talking about -- but I wonder if this back is getting over hyped because of his combine. Has anyone watched enough of him in college disagree with this weakness ? I pray for a tradedown -- and I like Carnell.

Watched his clips and had the same thought. Not going to last too long in the NFL trying to run over people.

If we do not want to play "Wad ball" then why would we draft Ronnie Brown?

Here is the misconceptions that are being tossed around the league IMO about Ronnie Brown:

He is a great pass catcher. Maybe so, but how is he any better than Caddy who they question? I think this is bunk. I think they are both good at pass catching. Who is better in the open field? this is a no brainer.......and ill give you a hint, its not Brown.

Brown is the better blocker. Maybe so but this is not going to be the overriding deal in the end. I think all three could handle a simple block on a blitzing LB or CB.

Brown is faster than lightining. Maybe so but Caddy was severely overlooked who also ran very fast the second day and was faster in the shuttle run which is more telling. Caddy is quick and fast and can go long for the bomb. Maybe so can Brown but Brown would never be asked to go long IMO. If you take Caddy and Brown and the passing game, you want Caddy becuase he is the best in the open field. Period.

All this talk about Brown is very fixed and overrated IMO. He is a simple straight ahead power guy. So is Benson. Caddy is the differential here and it is getting so overlooked because everyone thinks a great RB is one with simple power. A great running back has great vision and moves and the team attitude that transcends everyone else on the team. Mark my words, in the long haul, Caddy is the better RB.

They all have a weakness, I have read other articles that said he can make people miss. Yes he loves to lower the Pads and run over DB's, what big running back doesn't? He has the speend to be very dangerous in the open field, not to mention the second gear to pull away. Carnell is good also, trust me Saban knows both these players.

Ronnie can also run crisp routes, not just out of the backfield. He can be split out to a WR or Slot position. Ronnie and Carnell ran the same running plays, but they both had their own way of doing it.

Like I said, Saban got to see a lot of these two. He will make a good choice if it's either one of them.

when push comes to shove I don't see Nick taking a RB at #2. I could see him taking a WR then taking a RB in round 3 if he gets an extra pick. Taking a RB at #2 is nonsense unless its Marshall Faulk, Edge, or Ricky (nobody knew he was nuts back then). None of these guys are that type of back. Taking a RB at #2 is very very stupid.

I wouldn't worry about Ronnie Brown since I don't see us taking him.

"Negatives: Has a very lean lower body with sprinter's legs … Does not have the strength to push the pile … Might not be able to add more weight to absorb punishment at the next level, as his frame appears to have little room for additional growth. … Has ball security issues, especially on pitch-outs, as he has marginal hands … Has made improvement as a receiver, but is prone to letting the ball into his body and double catching it, rather than extend for the ball away from the body's frame … Gets stonewalled quite a bit trying to pick up the blitz due to his lack of size and lower-body strength." from NFL.com report

compare

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
"Negatives: Has a very lean lower body with sprinter's legs … Does not have the strength to push the pile … Might not be able to add more weight to absorb punishment at the next level, as his frame appears to have little room for additional growth. … Has ball security issues, especially on pitch-outs, as he has marginal hands … Has made improvement as a receiver, but is prone to letting the ball into his body and double catching it, rather than extend for the ball away from the body's frame … Gets stonewalled quite a bit trying to pick up the blitz due to his lack of size and lower-body strength." from NFL.com report

compare

2 things, who are you talking about here and if its caddy, then this is total crap IMO. Maybe on the blocking he is weaker, but like i said, this wont matter much in the end. The other thing here is that negatives get tossed about in this league that get so proven wrong all the time. Case and point. Chris Chambers, questionable hands.........yeah right.

CD13 said:
Weaknesses: Is a little bit of a straight-line runner. Doesn't always show the ability to plant and drive quickly enough to hit and get through the cutback lane. He doesn't have great elusiveness. Won't make many defenders miss in the open field.

This is from the Scouts on ESPN. I am not saying they exactly know what they are talking about -- but I wonder if this back is getting over hyped because of his combine. Has anyone watched enough of him in college disagree with this weakness ? I pray for a tradedown -- and I like Carnell.

Why did you skip the weaknesses of the other RB's? :shakeno:

Unless of course you are bias against Brown ... which is patently obvious.

Such posts like this are nothing more than preaching to the choir - in this case, the choir that supports CB as a RB or some other player.

It's basically meaningless to note this w/out noting the weaknesses of the other RB's.

Having said that, I like Caddy equally as well as Brown.

you got a point i was just posting them so i didnt have to make another thread about it plus i dont kno how to Merge yet, and ya kno we dont kno, whoever Saban picks Saban picks id rather have Ronnie Brown, BUt Caddy would be cool also, i believe Saban will pick the right person for the Dolphins

He is a simple straight ahead power guy. So is Benson.

Yea, but Benson is a better powerback. The guy shakes off defenders and gets amazing yards after first contact. I'd get Brown because he's a better fit, but Benson is a better back.

MikeO said:
when push comes to shove I don't see Nick taking a RB at #2. I could see him taking a WR then taking a RB in round 3 if he gets an extra pick. Taking a RB at #2 is nonsense unless its Marshall Faulk, Edge, or Ricky (nobody knew he was nuts back then). None of these guys are that type of back. Taking a RB at #2 is very very stupid.

I wouldn't worry about Ronnie Brown since I don't see us taking him.

I tend to agree Mike, I tend to think we are going to end up with Edwards based on the need and deep RB class and also the fact that Saban was called out at the Michigan workout where he then had a long long conversation with the HC of Michigan about Edwards and then Edwards siad he would absolutely love to play in Miami and that it would be perfect for him. I think QB we have a few guys picked out later like David Green, Mcpherson, Orlovsky, and maybe a few others who i cant think right now.

Before, I was iffy about Edwards and I ussually am Iffy about WR's at the top spots, but I saw this kid on NFL Network and I like his attitude and I do think he has the talent to do some extroardinary things.

touborg said:
Yea, but Benson is a better powerback. The guy shakes off defenders and gets amazing yards after first contact. I'd get Brown because he's a better fit, but Benson is a better back.

The plays I have Seen Benson he had holes the size of TExas to run through. That wont happen in the NFL my friend. That is not to say that Benson is not a great RB. I am concerned about his attitude once he gets his big money. He has said some things in the past that make you think twice and its been covered up. In the long haul, a Benson would not be happy and would seek bigger money to play somewhere else in four years Cus that is what he will be all about in the end. This is the thing that noone considers when thinking Benson.

finfan54 said:
If we do not want to play "Wad ball" then why would we draft Ronnie Brown?

Here is the misconceptions that are being tossed around the league IMO about Ronnie Brown:

He is a great pass catcher. Maybe so, but how is he any better than Caddy who they question? I think this is bunk. I think they are both good at pass catching. Who is better in the open field? this is a no brainer.......and ill give you a hint, its not Brown.

Brown is the better blocker. Maybe so but this is not going to be the overriding deal in the end. I think all three could handle a simple block on a blitzing LB or CB.

Brown is faster than lightining. Maybe so but Caddy was severely overlooked who also ran very fast the second day and was faster in the shuttle run which is more telling. Caddy is quick and fast and can go long for the bomb. Maybe so can Brown but Brown would never be asked to go long IMO. If you take Caddy and Brown and the passing game, you want Caddy becuase he is the best in the open field. Period.

All this talk about Brown is very fixed and overrated IMO. He is a simple straight ahead power guy. So is Benson. Caddy is the differential here and it is getting so overlooked because everyone thinks a great RB is one with simple power. A great running back has great vision and moves and the team attitude that transcends everyone else on the team. Mark my words, in the long haul, Caddy is the better RB.

Addressing some of the misconceptions in your post...

Brown is the best receiver of the 3 backs, anyone that's watched all three for the past 3 years would acknowledge that. Brown catches anything thrown to him. Auburn lined him up out wide and he'd catch balls over the shoulder like a WR. Gruden said Brown had the best hands at the combine, better than any of the other RBs, TEs, or WRs.

Brown is the best blocker of the 3 backs, again... anyone that's watched all three for the past 3 years would acknowledge that. Caddy puts in good effort and has had his share of great blocks, but his legs are way too skinny for him to be a great blocker in the NFL. Benson's blocking is one of the negatives most 'experts' critisize him for. As Mike Mayock says, he doesn't seem to be interested in blocking. You can try to downplay it all you want, but having a RB that's a great blocker is important... especially with the immobile QBs we currently have on our roster.

Brown would "never be asked to go long" but Caddy would? That doesn't make any sense. Brown had more 30+ yard runs than Caddy in fewer carries... he's certainly as much or more of a threat to break long runs than Caddy or Benson.

A great running back needs "the team attitude"? Not sure that's a true statement, but even if it is then how does Brown not have the same great team attitude as Caddy?

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
you got a point i was just posting them so i didnt have to make another thread about it plus i dont kno how to Merge yet, and ya kno we dont kno, whoever Saban picks Saban picks id rather have Ronnie Brown, BUt Caddy would be cool also, i believe Saban will pick the right person for the Dolphins

And dont get me wrong, I would be happy to have either RB of all 3. I just think Caddy is more versatile in many ways. Will he get injured cus of his size? I dont know, he just put on some weight and has room to get a little bigger. Brown can get hurt just as well though if he is a straight ahead guy going into the pile more. Benson to me is more character questions comparably.

In the end, I dont think we take any of these, but what do I know? NO less or more than anyone else. We may get surprised and take a DEfensive guy.

touborg said:

Benson will not "shake off defenders" nearly as much in the NFL. NFL defenders are faster and much better tacklers. There's no North Texas, Rice, Iowa State, Kansas, etc on an NFL schedule.

Back
Top Bottom