Ronnie in the Slot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie in the Slot

South Florida

Pro Bowler
Joined
May 16, 2004
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
Miami
Is Nick going to use Ronnie as the slot in a singleback like they did at Auburn?

What about as a fullback?

I think Ronnie would bust a nickleback in half.

I don't know about risking him with run-blocking, but if he's that much better at it than our fullbacks are, it could be worth it to try every now and then.
 

CitizenSnips

Ready for Henne.
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
6,921
Reaction score
1
Age
33
our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.
 

byroan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
18,503
Reaction score
1
He'll probably play a little bit of everything, of course mostly RB. If Kay Jay turns out to be a great backup, we could see Ronnie in the slot more and more.
 

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
4,335
Reaction score
0
Saban4prez said:
our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.

Nuh uh. There isnt a whole hell of alot of teams in the league who do not use lead blockers at all. Maybe the Colts do, but their short yardage is pretty horrendous.

We will use some sort of lead blocker at some times, that is to be sure. Linehan hasnt used one in the past, but who is the say he will not now? Fit the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme.

I cant imagine Ronnie Brown NOT playing WR. A RB splitting out from the backfield isnt exactly rare. According to news from rookie camps, he played H-Back, and Fullback too.
 

Dolphin North

Club Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
4,749
Reaction score
6,442
Disgustipate said:
Nuh uh. There isnt a whole hell of alot of teams in the league who do not use lead blockers at all. Maybe the Colts do, but their short yardage is pretty horrendous.

We will use some sort of lead blocker at some times, that is to be sure. Linehan hasnt used one in the past, but who is the say he will not now? Fit the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme.

I cant imagine Ronnie Brown NOT playing WR. A RB splitting out from the backfield isnt exactly rare. According to news from rookie camps, he played H-Back, and Fullback too.
H back would use his array of skills nicely.
 

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
6,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland
I really think rush blocking would be one of the last priorities Ronnie Brown wlill be needed for, for us. I don't see him being used as a FB unless Ricky comes back and we have a two-headed duo... that's all different story that probably won't happen. I think Ronnie will see a lot of time playing WR, he might be best suited in the slot if we don't end up getting anymore WR's like Boston... which would switch everything up and Chambers could very well end up in the Slot. I also think a big priority for Ronnie will be pass blocking which could really use and I think whenever he will be asked to do so, I have total confidence that he will be efficient and is a incredible versatile athelete.
 

South Florida

Pro Bowler
Joined
May 16, 2004
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Location
Miami
We could very well have a two headed monster in the backfield even without Ricky Williams if you don't forget KJ Harris.

It could confuse the defense if we fake the handoff to Ronnie, toss it to KJ, and have them running full speed together toward the endzone.

That could work.
 

cnc66

wiley veteran bad spelur
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
19,512
Reaction score
0
Location
indian river country
South Florida said:
We could very well have a two headed monster in the backfield even without Ricky Williams if you don't forget KJ Harris.

It could confuse the defense if we fake the handoff to Ronnie, toss it to KJ, and have them running full speed together toward the endzone.

That could work.

Lamar Gordon just gets no respect :shakeno:
 

fsu_nole4life

The Game
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Location
GA
Saban4prez said:
our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.

I have to ask.. What was the point of picking up the FB Evans??
 

HysterikiLL

Super Duper Club
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
12,653
Reaction score
0
Part of the reason we chose Ronnie was because he's the most complete back. We weren't looking for just a runner. He'll be utilized in any way possible and Saban is more than aware of the options that gives us.
 

Regan21286

Wa Wa Wee Wa
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
0
Location
UCLA
I think we'll use a fullback since it certainly makes it easier for RBs to shed the first defenders. Plus, we signed a FB earlier in the offseason so unless Saban likes throwing money away, he's going to see some action. Minnesota wasn't so good with the run with Linehan and any success they had was due to their good O-Line. Ronnie could be more like a Brian Westbrook-type player, but that means he might not get too many rushing attempts. But to get more rushing yards, you need a good fullback like what Alexander, Lewis, and LT had.
 

CitizenSnips

Ready for Henne.
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
6,921
Reaction score
1
Age
33
fsu_nole4life said:
I have to ask.. What was the point of picking up the FB Evans??

you're guess is as good as mine. if you guys honestly believe that we'll use a fullback then ok, thats fine with me. I just know that Jimmy Kleinsasser is technically the vikings Fullback, and he never played much. Im going off what Linehans done before, not what i think he'll do.
 

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
4,335
Reaction score
0
Saban4prez said:
you're guess is as good as mine. if you guys honestly believe that we'll use a fullback then ok, thats fine with me. I just know that Jimmy Kleinsasser is technically the vikings Fullback, and he never played much. Im going off what Linehans done before, not what i think he'll do.

Kleinsasser never played much? What? Why did they franchise him, then?
 
Top Bottom