Rookie Cutler takes over No. 2 QB job | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookie Cutler takes over No. 2 QB job

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
From 47 yards away, the Denver Broncos quarterbacks were taking turns trying to spiral a pass into a garbage can that was set up on the practice field.

Rookie quarterback Jay Cutler stepped up, lobbed a pass toward the trash receptacle and swished the football.

Things are definitely going Cutler's way right now. The first-round pick out of Vanderbilt was officially promoted to second-string quarterback Monday, replacing former Colorado State standout Bradlee Van Pelt. Cutler will now serve as Jake Plummer's backup.

And while this day may have been imminent, it arrived sooner than anyone may have anticipated.

Except for Cutler, that is. He wasn't surprised by the move.

"I was happy," Cutler said. "I think I've done some good things and picked it up pretty quick.

"I still have a lot to learn."

The learning curve hasn't been all that steep for Cutler. Denver coach Mike Shanahan has been impressed with his prized quarterback so far in camp.
"He's picked up things very quickly and thrown the ball extremely well," Shanahan said.

But he's still got a ways to go.

"By no means is he a polished quarterback at this time," Shanahan said.
Cutler will now be facing the Broncos' first-team defense on a regular basis in camp. The team is interested in seeing how Cutler fares against a defensive unit that was third in the NFL in points allowed last season.

"He'll get used to the speed of the game in the NFL against a [darn] good defense," assistant coach Mike Heimerdinger said. "Those windows he has been seeing may not be quite as wide open when Champ Bailey's out at corner and our linebackers are dropping underneath the zone. We'll see what he does with that."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/07/bc.fbn.broncos.cutler.ap/index.html

i could see him starting next year but it would be nearly impossible for him to start this year

Back
Top Bottom