Rookie pool numbers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookie pool numbers

PhinPhan1227

Why is there a watermelon there?
Reaction score
"Miami 9 $2,782,469 "

Now, most likely only our 2nd and two 3rd round picks will be counted against our cap...but that still leaves us pretty close 1.5-1.75 million as a probable hit to sign those three players. After Rogers is cut, that should leave us about 3.25 million in cap space, and of that space, the Phins always leave .5 million for emergencies during the season. That leaves about 2.75 million to sign Griese and Knight. I think we can all safely assume that after Griese and Knight, the average fan won't recognize the name of any other FA's that are brought in after June 1st.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
"Miami 9 $2,782,469 "

Now, most likely only our 2nd and two 3rd round picks will be counted against our cap...but that still leaves us pretty close 1.5-1.75 million as a probable hit to sign those three players. After Rogers is cut, that should leave us about 3.25 million in cap space, and of that space, the Phins always leave .5 million for emergencies during the season. That leaves about 2.75 million to sign Griese and Knight. I think we can all safely assume that after Griese and Knight, the average fan won't recognize the name of any other FA's that are brought in after June 1st.

Aqua posted these numbers in the thread "Cap Numbers"...I imagine they are based on the numbers from the players drafted in the same positions last year:

Expected drafted rookies cap numbers (rounded).
Moore 553K
Smith 392K
Whitley 371K
Lee 258K
Tolver 255K
Jenkins 249K
Provost 239K
Bell 238K
Williams 234K

The Sun-Sentinel posits, and you concur, that only Moore, Smith, and Whitley's cap figures will be in the top 51. Since we only count the top 51 salaries in terms of salary cap figures against the total salary cap and we already have more than 51 players who "count" against the cap, we are talking about replacing those at the bottom with the top 3 rookie salaries (our additional cap charge for those 3 rookies will be the difference between their cap charge and those at #49-51). If Whitley's salary will be enough to count against the cap but Lee's won't, this means that the 51st is somewhere between $258k and $371k. For the sake of easier numbers, let's say that the 51st highest cap figure currently on the Dolphins is at $300k (In actuality, since we are talking about 3 rookies sliding into the top 51 we should be talking about the 49th highest cap figure). Anyway, if we use 51st=$300k then Moore will add around $253k to the cap, Smith around $92k, and Whitley around $71k. That totals $416k in additional cap charges to sign all of our rookies (since the remaining rookies won't be in the top 51 in term of cap charges). It also bumps up our 51st to $371k, meaning signing a veteran to the minimum would give us a cap hit of less than $100k (the amount a $450k cap charge would increase our total cap figure by replacing the 51st highest).

We should have plenty of money to sign Griese and Knight, as you say. We should also have enough money to sign a veteran LB and WR to the minimum and still leave room for an emergency signing or two. And should we be able to get either Griese or Knight to sign for the minimum, we should have plenty of space to go after a solid OLT, LB, or WR should one become available after June 1.

Lol...that looks like a REALLY long version of what I just said..:) One thing though, I'd say you shorted Moore and Smith somewhat. If I remember correctly, Greenwood and McKinney have somewhat higher numbers than that, yes?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Lol...that looks like a REALLY long version of what I just said..:) One thing though, I'd say you shorted Moore and Smith somewhat. If I remember correctly, Greenwood and McKinney have somewhat higher numbers than that, yes?

Greenwood and McKinney may have higher cap figures this year, but I am unsure of what their figures were when they were rookies.

Aqua, where did you get those figures for all of this year's rookies?

Salary alone should be around 220-250k, and even a 1 million bonus would tack another 330k, giving a 550-580k number for Moore, and probably 440-475k for the third rounders.

Numbers are based on players selected in '02 draft at the exact same slot as the Miami picks of '03. I'm also using a flat scale meaning no pay raises which was the case last year as well.

Right now only the top two draft picks would count against the top 51. Player #51 would now have a $375K cap number.

Also, let's not forget that one week before the season starts is when we have an actual cap number for the season. That means two players have to be added to get the 53 man roster, all players on IR count against the cap, along with the 5 player practice squad which counts for $340K. We also need to have money set aside in case of injuries during the season. Everything listed above should add another $1.5-$2M to our present so if we want to sign Griese or Knight we still need to shave cap.

All details which seals my point that there are no pleasent surprises coming June 1st. Either we get Griese and Knight, or we don't and we're screwed. If we do get them, that's all we're getting.

Only Moore and the 2 #3's will count toward our cap of the top 51 players for the offseason.

Back
Top Bottom