Rookies will report on Thursday | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rookies will report on Thursday

Tua will be the best player the Dolphins have had in years the second he walks through the door. Bloody exciting, even if we won't see him on the field for 12 mints (I hope)

Please tell me mints is UK slang for minutes. If it's 12 months I can't make it that long. That's worse than asking NBA players to go into the bubble for 2 months with no sex.

Please tell me mints is UK slang for minutes. If it's 12 months I can't make it that long. That's worse than asking NBA players to go into the bubble for 2 months with no sex.
You made it over 20 years without a Franchise QB. You want to go another 20 if Tua is mishandled?

You made it over 20 years without a Franchise QB. You want to go another 20 if Tua is mishandled?

I'm just not on board with the whole "Have Tua sit out his entire rookie year in 2020." then have him take 2021 to shake off the rust of not playing for a year and a half and adjusting to the speed of the NFL. At that rate you're looking at 2022 or 2023 before you're going to have growing into the player he's going to be. I'm all for getting learning curve over as soon as possible.

How do we know what "mishandled" actually means? If the dude is healthy and knows the playbook and is a better qb option than Fitz .... well then ppl are just being silly

He was drafted #5 overall for a reason ... TO START .... THIS SEASON..... IF the IF"s are accounted for

It's not like we didn't try for 20 years to get it right ... we did... we failed ... we are better now

Tua will start and IF he is all that and a bag of chips we will compete for the AFC East crown THIS SEASON (by compete I mean be in contention for)

What IF keeping him on the bench turns out to be "mishandling" him???????????????????? You want to go another 20 if Tua is mishandled?
1595156067386.png

Tua was drafted at #5 because we wanted him. When the coaches start playing him is a totally different question. It will undoubtedly be based on several things:

1) How quickly he picks up the new offensive system the team will be using.
2) How quickly he is able to get into playing condition.
3) How well our other QB's do in comparison in training camp.
4) Assuming that Fitz starts the season, how well he is playing.
5) How well the OL is playing and how long it takes them to gel.
6) How anxious the coaching staff is to see him play in a game.

I anticipate his debut will be similar to Rosen's; in that he will be brought in during a game and left in as long as the coaches feel he is playing well. This may be a one time insertion and then he plays out the year or it may be a sequence of game insertions until it is clear to the coaches he is ready for continuous duty.

In the end, it will be the coaches decision when to play Tua, not his draft position.

Best thread this calendar year besides draft news.

NASA Go GIF - NASA Go Launch GIFs

I'm just not on board with the whole "Have Tua sit out his entire rookie year in 2020." then have him take 2021 to shake off the rust of not playing for a year and a half and adjusting to the speed of the NFL. At that rate you're looking at 2022 or 2023 before you're going to have growing into the player he's going to be. I'm all for getting learning curve over as soon as possible.
I don't have any specific plan. If Tua is fully healthy and the O-line is performing adequately, I see no reason not to play him this year.

I think both the hardline "play him day 1" and "sit him all year" crowds are equally asinine.

And sorry, but I don't buy that having him sit a year would hold him back going into the future. The long history of QB's that have done this for various reasons does not back up this assertion.

I do think we should play it on the safer side, but that's the extent of my opinion bc I don't have all the info to form a concrete opinion. I've never seen the medicals, and I've never seen our new O-line in action.

But I've also never seen the Dolphins field a true star QB since I was a young child. So damn straight I'll wait one more year if our front office decides it's the right move.

I just believe you come into a situation inexperienced you're going to have your ups and downs, often more downs than ups. But the bottom line is are you learning and growing from the experience? If the hip is healed and ready to go I play him. The same as I would Burrow with the Bengals or Herbert with the Chargers. This is not a situation like Rodgers playing behind a icon and Hall of Famer in Green Bay or Mahomes sitting his rookie year behind a qb that was leading the entire league in passing and taking his team to winning their division. I think people are kidding themselves if they believe Mahomes would have sat out 2017 if he were playing behind a below average starter on a team that was only winning 5 or 6 games. When he's healthy and has a grasp on the offense and close to or ahead of Fitzpatrick in practice it's time to play him.

I frequent the NFL subreddit and between all the recent tweets from players/coaches, there's a good portion of fans that are starting to believe there won't be an NFL season....that the NFL seriously dropped the ball when preparing for protocols and what not. A lot believe that there will be a season regardless just due to $$$$. I have no idea what to think at this point. Just gonna take it day by day and enjoy what we get and when we get it.

I just believe you come into a situation inexperienced you're going to have your ups and downs, often more downs than ups. But the bottom line is are you learning and growing from the experience? If the hip is healed and ready to go I play him. The same as I would Burrow with the Bengals or Herbert with the Chargers. This is not a situation like Rodgers playing behind a icon and Hall of Famer in Green Bay or Mahomes sitting his rookie year behind a qb that was leading the entire league in passing and taking his team to winning their division. I think people are kidding themselves if they believe Mahomes would have sat out 2017 if he were playing behind a below average starter on a team that was only winning 5 or 6 games. When he's healthy and has a grasp on the offense and close to or ahead of Fitzpatrick in practice it's time to play him.

You mean like Tannehill behind Mariota?

You mean like Tannehill behind Mariota?

I'm not following the thought Ray. I was talking about playing your highly drafted 1st round qb over a below average veteran on a average or poor team. I'm not sure how the Tannehill/ Marriotta situation connects.

Back
Top Bottom