Rooney Rule | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rooney Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
first off the Rooney Rule is a joke. Sounds like they’re making it even more of one compensating teams for hiring minorities. apparently there’s only like 4 black coaches and 2 black gms in the league

Miami has one of each, are they not going to get compensated for this? Lol I’m partly joking on that question but seriously, how do people feel that say Miami hires a coach for possible extra draft picks instead of...oh I don’t know, he’s the right person for the job?

Last edited:
first off the Rooney Rule is a joke. Sounds like they’re making it even more of one compensating teams for hiring minorities. apparently there’s only like 4 black coaches and 2 black gms in the league

Miami has some of each, are they not going to get compensated for this? Lol I’m partly joking on that question but seriously, how do people feel that say Miami hires a coach for possible extra draft picks instead of...oh I don’t know, he’s the right person for the job?

1589929234198.gif

I’d still rather have the Rooney Rule than the Tuck Rule any day.

I'm seeing conflicting info about these new rules.

Some reports that draft position incentives, and supplemental picks. Other reports that is not the case.

I'm seeing conflicting info about these new rules.

Some reports that draft position incentives, and supplemental picks. Other reports that is not the case.
If true about the incentives, that totally doesn’t seem sustainable long term

I'm an old black man, but even I can see the original Rooney rule may have had good intentions but it's as flawed as hell. You have teams bringing in black candidates that they have no intention of hiring. Usually it's just wasting people's time. I mean if team x knows that they just fired their head coach with the intent of hiring some big name coach, don't make them waste my time and have me come in and interview for a position just to satisfy a rule even though they already know who they're hiring. The new rule isn't much better, you can't bribe teams to interview or hire minorities. Offring teams cash, draft picks or other incentives doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
This top down approach is the wrong way to go about encouraging change. I think they need to put more effort into getting former college and pro players of all ethnicities at the lower levels, where it seems nepotism is most prevalent. The quality control coaches, assistant passing coordinators, and the countless other jobs that have been created over the last couple decades.

I'm an old black man, but even I can see the original Rooney rule may have had good intentions but it's as flawed as hell. You have teams bringing in black candidates that they have no intention of hiring. Usually it's just wasting people's time. I mean if team x knows that they just fired their head coach with the intent of hiring some big name coach, don't make them waste my time and have me come in and interview for a position just to satisfy a rule even though they already know who they're hiring. The new rule isn't much better, you can't bribe teams to interview or hire minorities. Offring teams cash, draft picks or other incentives doesn't make sense.
Totally agree!! Teams are going to hire who they like or who they think is the best candidate for them. Sometimes the 2 of those happen to be the same person, sometimes not. I believe most teams know already who they want or at least their top 2 or 3 candidates. Having these silly rules are a joke! it’s Downright embarrassing IMO, and Giving a team extra picks just because they hired a minority is insane!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Interviewing more is fine, but if they wouldve went ahead with rewarding teams for it, that would have been incredibly stupid

Thanks for posting Anthony but there is already a thread on it so I merged them

Guys be sure to just discuss the rule and not get into general racial discussions or your post will be moved to the POFO forum.

Any racist comments will get you banned from the discussion.

The Rooney Rule is useless. It's 2020. Nobody is going to not hire someone they think can be successful for them just because they're a minority. And nobody is going to believe somebody can't be successful because they're not the right skin color.

TFK

This top down approach is the wrong way to go about encouraging change. I think they need to put more effort into getting former college and pro players of all ethnicities at the lower levels, where it seems nepotism is most prevalent. The quality control coaches, assistant passing coordinators, and the countless other jobs that have been created over the last couple decades.
How?

None of the answers are ideal. Everyone hates quotas, except for those who end up directly benefiting. Incentives programs also tend to fail.

To me the most logical approach is in creating academies for those looking to get into coaching or other professions after a playing career. If you have a measurable way to show your quality you can present a better argument as to why you should be hired over some coaches' son. Its a shame the league has never been able to maintain a minor league system like the NBA's g-league where they have room to experiment with both on and off court initiatives.

Thanks for posting Anthony but there is already a thread on it so I merged them

Guys be sure to just discuss the rule and not get into general racial discussions or your post will be moved to the POFO forum.

Any racist comments will get you banned from the discussion.

Deleted my posts. Not sure how you can discuss the Rooney Rule though without mentioning race. Good luck with that. This thread is gonna be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom