Ross gets it, So should you | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross gets it, So should you

Sorry you are tired of reading complains about Grier. Yet as I stated, he has been part of the problem for the past 20 years and he should NEVER have been retained once Ross decided to completely blow up the roster. Ross has shown over his time as the teams owner that he has no clue with it comes to hiring the right men to turn around this team. So why would anyone believe that he made the right decision in giving Grier the power to manage this rebuild.

The fact Grier isn’t going anywhere right now merely means that the Dolphins will likely just have to wait until Ross hires another GM in a year or two to actually start a legitimate rebuilding job, IMO. Of course the best solution would be for Ross to sell the team to an owner who might actually have a clue, but of course that is probably too much to ask for.
In you rookie opinion... Jeesh

I know, I know... he's the owner, he represents a target for you to hurl your pent up frustrations and mommy or daddy issues. Yet, he is right. The only proper way to rebuild, is to stick to the build.
WV, is that you?

Not sure why anybody thinks having a number one pick in the draft somehow guarantees that you'll have a good rebuild. they are bad teams that pick number one year after year and never get much better
Haven't seen one person make any such guarantees.

In you rookie opinion... Jeesh
While I may be new to posting on this particular forum. I am certainly no rookie when it comes to the Dolphins. I was in the stands when Joe Auer returned the first kickoff for a TD in the first game the Dolphins
played in their history.

I have attended over 400 Dolphin games since 1966. Not only home games but games in many stadiums
around the country and one of their games in London. So I have seen the Dolphins at the very best and their worst over the past 50 plus years.

Fortunately I was in the stands during their glory years and I saw an owner who actually knew how to hire the right people to build an organization. Joe Robbie wasn’t one of the richest owners but he knew how to
hire the right people for the job. This is something Ross has shown that he just doesn’t have a clue when it comes to hiring quality football people.

At my age I have accepted that I will never again see the Dolphins in another Super Bowl, even if I am fortunate enough to live another 10 years. Because I just have zero faith in Ross as the owner and I doubt he will be selling the team before I become worm food.

So how many seasons to be in playoffs by pretty much replacing 95% of your roster?
I say at least 4 after this

So how many seasons to be in playoffs by pretty much replacing 95% of your roster?

The thing is, your not replacing that much of your roster. I could see half the guys on the team now being back ups in 2-3 years.

Your really only focused on starters.

Not even including free agency, we could see up to 20, top 75 selections added over the next 4 years.

I am not as concerned with putting a time stamp on things. Get to 8-8 with a franchise QB on young team and a revolving draft arsenal and the rest will be history.

The thing is, your not replacing that much of your roster. I could see half the guys on the team now being back ups in 2-3 years.

Your really only focused on starters.

Not even including free agency, we could see up to 20, top 75 selections added over the next 4 years.

I am not as concerned with putting a time stamp on things. Get to 8-8 with a franchise QB on young team and a revolving draft arsenal and the rest will be history.

Ok we will be replacing as starters...
QB
RB
2 WR
LT
C
RG
2-3 DL
2-3 LB
CB
FS
SS

Yeah, 3 minimum. But possibly 4 or 5. Again, not guaranteeing anything.

It's strange to me, but what I don't understand are the comments I hear of Grier being a part the problem for the past 20 years. Yes, he's been working there the past 20 years, but that does not mean he was actually a part of the problem. In any given year, there are between 15-20 employees in the scouting department, and I am pretty d@mn sure all are NOT inept at their jobs. I don't know but just a thought, has anyone actually considered maybe Grier was promoted to the GM position on merit, because he was better than the rest, and was credited for some of the draft picks who worked out well for us in the past?

Since he's been in a position that placed him in the spotlight the past 4 years, he's had some hits and misses, but I believe he's had more hits than anything else. Plus no knows what moves (good or bad) were his because Tannebaum had a heavy influence in their everyday operations.

It is very obvious there is a plan in place and it's being followed religiously. This is YEAR ONE of the show being all his; and right now, he's put this franchise in a great position to turn things around quickly, and that we can definitely credit him for. He's a forward-thinking GM, making moves that actually show the intent of positively affecting the franchise in the future. He is not impulsive like our past GMs, he shows the ability to close deals on trades with good compensation in return, now when is the last time we could EVER say that? And he did an excellent job of cleaning up our cap space quickly.

What the Fins are doing, most franchises are afraid to do, and there are plenty of franchises who have been stuck in the 7-8 wins a year like them, so props for trying something new instead of the same thing over and over and hope things change.

For those who see the big picture will be able to stomach this year, for those who can't see the big picture, drink plenty of alcohol this season.

PFF has John Jenkins as their highest rated defensive player. Multiple individuals pointed out he played well against the Patriots. There was an outcry when Taylor was let go and Jenkins was picked up. Why did Jenkins not standout during the Ravens game? Maybe because he had been here for less than a week. Jenkins fits with a 3-4 scheme. After watching him during training camp, it was clear to the coaches Taylor did not.

The point is that the scores for THE FIRST FOUR GAMES DO NOT MATTER!!!! Give the coaches time to evaluate players within new schemes during real games. Judge the product by how it performs later this year. Is it competitive at that point. Have any of the young players grown by the last half of the season? That is a useful question. As for being a laughing stock, I do not care. I care if we actually move forward during the season and if we field a better team next year.

While I may be new to posting on this particular forum. I am certainly no rookie when it comes to the Dolphins. I was in the stands when Joe Auer returned the first kickoff for a TD in the first game the Dolphins
played in their history.

I have attended over 400 Dolphin games since 1966. Not only home games but games in many stadiums
around the country and one of their games in London. So I have seen the Dolphins at the very best and their worst over the past 50 plus years.

Fortunately I was in the stands during their glory years and I saw an owner who actually knew how to hire the right people to build an organization. Joe Robbie wasn’t one of the richest owners but he knew how to
hire the right people for the job. This is something Ross has shown that he just doesn’t have a clue when it comes to hiring quality football people.

At my age I have accepted that I will never again see the Dolphins in another Super Bowl, even if I am fortunate enough to live another 10 years. Because I just have zero faith in Ross as the owner and I doubt he will be selling the team before I become worm food.
I commend you loyalty and like mine it is being tested. I think Ross has had to 'learn' how to be a competitive owner', and IMO the jury is still out. I do like the recent hires and promotions, hated the TannenBum hire, and hope we have turned a philosophical corner to get this team back to the point that we were used to seeing back when we were kids. Peace

People are saying it's the right way to build a team and I don't see any empiracal evidence that it is.

Feel free to name any NFL team this century that has tanked to build a winner or any number one overall pick an not named Manning that a team has required to win a championship.

Last time I checked we could have drafted TomBrady, Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Foles, or Joe Flacco if the QB is the one key ingredient.
Which recent Superbowl champion needed to put the worst possible product on the field to win their championship?

Let's quit making excuses for an owner that has presidee over a decade of below average at best football.

Let's not act like we could not have traded up for Pat Mahomes or Ben Rothlisberger previously.

Ross hired Chris Grier who was a part of the decision making team that traded up to get one of the most worthless draft picks in Dolphin history in Dion Jordan.

People are saying it's the right way to build a team and I don't see any empiracal evidence that it is.

That's true.

Feel free to name any NFL team this century that has tanked to build a winner or any number one overall pick an not named Manning that a team has required to win a championship.
I'll play devil's advocate :). There are none, because I don't think no one has ever tried it this way before.

Ross hired Chris Grier who was a part of the decision making team that traded up to get one of the most worthless draft picks in Dolphin history in Dion Jordan.

This sounds like an opinion, unless you have proof of it. If there is no direct evidence in the matter, I'd have to disagree, because I believe that move was all Jeff Ireland.

That's true.

I'll play devil's advocate :). There are none, because I don't think no one has ever tried it this way before.

This sounds like an opinion, unless you have proof of it. If there is no direct evidence in the matter, I'd have to disagree, because I believe that move was all Jeff Ireland.
So the head of college scouting had no input at all on such a huge deal to draft a college player?

Back
Top Bottom