Ross Is Finally Doing The Right Thing | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross Is Finally Doing The Right Thing

You don't need to tank to get a good QB anymore. Just trade up. Stockpile picks and trade up for it.

I sure hope so...but its not that I’m saying he’s not a good coach...I just don’t think his resume indicates he is ready yet...he hasn’t even officially been a coordinator yet he’s so green....that’s less accomplished than any Head Coach we’ve ever had!

I can at least say Richard was DC for 3 years in Seattle... had the number one defense and the “legion of boom”....was defacto DC in Dallas now and a defense that’s showing well.

Flores is the linebacker coach...is in his first year calling the defense..on a defense that’s middle of the pack?

I don’t see it...unless you just assume he’s good because he’s the linebacker coach at New England?

Oh wait...Belicheks past coaching tree has not fared well in the NFL...even Nick Saban!

So yeah...I don’t like it!
Spot on. But I hear he’s a young Don Shula.

You don't need to tank to get a good QB anymore. Just trade up. Stockpile picks and trade up for it.

Tanking isn’t necessary, but it is often sufficient in that if you do it in the right year, you have an excellent chance of getting a franchise QB, like Tua and Lawrence are supposed to be a lock to be (yes, I know anyone can be a bust, so don’t go there). Otherwise, you’re often grasping at straws, sometimes you get the right one, but a lot of times you end up with Christian Ponder or Tannehill:

Trading up is idiotic. No way would I ever trade up. It cost way too much and we need all of the picks we can get.

What is meant by saying we are going to tank?

There is no world in this universe that I believe anyone or team goes into a season saying "We're going to try to have a losing season."

IMO, that's just crazy.

If you say we are rebuilding and that results in a mediocre season.....ok......but not intentional losing!

So far, some of you are getting mad over "speculations" about hiring Flores. Did you hear anything from Ross? Grier?

And also, why the hate for Flores? What if you bipolar fans are wrong about him???
If we are wrong then it';d be the first time this team was right about anything in a long long time

I have to just laugh each time somebody here says we "just need to trade up" or just stock pile picks to trade up.......I live 10 minutes from Disney World and yet I see more fantasy on this board.

The biggest mistake this team has made was sticking with RT about 3-4 yrs too long.
Regardless of the rest of the roster, any team with an upper echelon QB always feels they can turn things around quickly, simply because theyve already fixed the most difficult position.
Look at the Colts the past 2 yrs. Luck was injured and they were mediocre. But, they knew Luck would be back, so they methodically built the rest of the team.
Now theyve done something the Phins havent done in 20 yrs...win a playoff game.

If Tua and Lawrence are as highly thought of now as when they’re draft eligible it will be virtually impossible to trade up to get one of them. They are both probably the best QB prospects since Luck. And there was a story that some team went to the Colts before they released Manning, showed them their roster and draft picks for the next three years and asked what do you want for the number one pick and the Colts didn’t even bother.

So the bottom line is that if you want one of those guys you have to be the worst team in the league.

We won’t know until we know, but everything is pointing in that direction. Ross saying the team needs a new approach (what else could that possibly be). Not committing to Tannehill when there is no one nearly as good as him waiting in the wings, which is probably the reason Gase pulled a George Constanta in getting himself fired. And now, hiring a head coach with very little actual coaching experience at any level who appears to be the type that can be easily controlled and replaced when necessary. A team that’s interested in winning now, at least attempts to talk to guys like McCarthy, Arians or really goes for the shiny toy like Kingsbury. That they even interviewed Gase’s waterboy, also known as his offensive coordinator tells you what you need to know about how much they are not planning on competing next hear.
Here is the problem with purposely tanking. We have too many players who would not go for it. Ross said that we have to take a different approach. That is correct. He also did say that he does not want to go 3-13. If it happens so be it then we are just a bad team.
Different approach may just mean that they do not go for the hot name like they did with Gase. It may mean that they are OK with a HC who came from the defensive sside. I remember 3 years ago it was all about getting Tannehill to the next level.

I agree about McCarthy. I wanted him. He developed a QB which came out of college with severe flaws in his mechanics and turned him into a future HoFer (Rodgers). Until recently he put his team into the playoffs consistently and has a Superbowl to show for. But we did not decide not to talk to him. McCarthy did. MacCarthy was not interested in our HC position or Denver or Arizona or the Browns. He said pretty much from the beginning: Jets or sit a year out. It was McCarthy's decision.

TBH I can't blame them for talking to our OC (or as you call it Gase's waterboy). Since Gase made all the calls you don't even know what you had in him. As far as we know he may just have disagreed with every call Gase made. He may have agreed with all the calls. We just didn't know. Therefore giving him an interview is just fair.

In regards to Kingsbury: I am glad we stayed away from him. We did this "shiny toy" from the college ranks before: Nick Saban.
Taking a coach from the college ranks is as much a crap shot as taking a coordinator or assistant from the NFL. You might get lucky and get a JJ or Carol but you also may get unlucky and get another Saban. Some college coaches adapt to the NFL, some are just good or great College coaches.

Most young HCs these days have had very little experience because, well, they are young. How many people have heard about McVay 3 years ago?
The transition to HC is more than just coaching. The most important part is to bring a philosophy, an identity and a system to a team: this is who we want to be. We did not have that since Sparano. Next step is the hiring of your coordinators and assistants who fill that need for your identy. Since we did not have a future vision the last 10 years we stitched our coaching staff together. A HCs first and most important job is to hire the right people. If you work for many years in the lower ranks anywhere and you are aware of your surroundings you can learn a lot about your bosses, co-workers, company etc. You can learn about the failures and how not to do things and you can learn about success and how do the right things.

We have zero clue if either Richard or Flores learned these things or not. What I found interesting is that Flores came to his first interview totally prepared, almost overrepared. Laying out the next 9 months in your initial interview is rare. The next 9 months includes FA, draft and preseason. Usually that is required for the 2nd interview. That shows clearly that Flores not only has work ethic but has a vision for us. He went through our currrent team and layed out a plan for the entire offseason. If the Dolphins would have not been impressed with that I would have doubted their seriousness.

I really don't know where all that doom and gloom comes from. We have a core of good young players, some vets who came here to play. We do have holes. Absolutely. We were 7-9 with a boatload of injuries, crappy coaching on both sides and two bad QBs. I predicted prior t the season that we are an 8-8 team and if we get some good QB play we could be better. I did not calculate horrific coaching as well. So we are by the very definition an 8-8 team. The question is how good can we be if we upgrade the coaching and some players i.e. QB on offense.
Neither Richard nor Flores will come here to tank. How fast a rookie HC can lose his job we have seen in Arizona where they fired the guy after just one season.

Before we all call the doomsday hotline we have to givee Grier and his new coach a chance.

They might hire whoever they think is the best teacher.

Value that trait over leader of men.

If you're going very young the most important thing you need is to develop them.

My friend, you are absolutely delusional if you think any combination of moves that can plausibly be made this offseason puts this team in the playoffs next year, which is what 3 extra wins would result in. It’s exactly that kind of thinking that has kept the team in neutral.

Oh I could make this a Wild Card team with ease while still building for the future. It isn’t that difficult.

This is such a negative Nancy forum right now it’s almost time for an off-season hiatus.

Jeez.

We were all thrilled for Gase for the most part and that ended up craptastic so maybe this is actually a good sign.

Here is the problem with purposely tanking. We have too many players who would not go for it. Ross said that we have to take a different approach. That is correct. He also did say that he does not want to go 3-13. If it happens so be it then we are just a bad team.
Different approach may just mean that they do not go for the hot name like they did with Gase. It may mean that they are OK with a HC who came from the defensive sside. I remember 3 years ago it was all about getting Tannehill to the next level.

I agree about McCarthy. I wanted him. He developed a QB which came out of college with severe flaws in his mechanics and turned him into a future HoFer (Rodgers). Until recently he put his team into the playoffs consistently and has a Superbowl to show for. But we did not decide not to talk to him. McCarthy did. MacCarthy was not interested in our HC position or Denver or Arizona or the Browns. He said pretty much from the beginning: Jets or sit a year out. It was McCarthy's decision.

TBH I can't blame them for talking to our OC (or as you call it Gase's waterboy). Since Gase made all the calls you don't even know what you had in him. As far as we know he may just have disagreed with every call Gase made. He may have agreed with all the calls. We just didn't know. Therefore giving him an interview is just fair.

In regards to Kingsbury: I am glad we stayed away from him. We did this "shiny toy" from the college ranks before: Nick Saban.
Taking a coach from the college ranks is as much a crap shot as taking a coordinator or assistant from the NFL. You might get lucky and get a JJ or Carol but you also may get unlucky and get another Saban. Some college coaches adapt to the NFL, some are just good or great College coaches.

Most young HCs these days have had very little experience because, well, they are young. How many people have heard about McVay 3 years ago?
The transition to HC is more than just coaching. The most important part is to bring a philosophy, an identity and a system to a team: this is who we want to be. We did not have that since Sparano. Next step is the hiring of your coordinators and assistants who fill that need for your identy. Since we did not have a future vision the last 10 years we stitched our coaching staff together. A HCs first and most important job is to hire the right people. If you work for many years in the lower ranks anywhere and you are aware of your surroundings you can learn a lot about your bosses, co-workers, company etc. You can learn about the failures and how not to do things and you can learn about success and how do the right things.

We have zero clue if either Richard or Flores learned these things or not. What I found interesting is that Flores came to his first interview totally prepared, almost overrepared. Laying out the next 9 months in your initial interview is rare. The next 9 months includes FA, draft and preseason. Usually that is required for the 2nd interview. That shows clearly that Flores not only has work ethic but has a vision for us. He went through our currrent team and layed out a plan for the entire offseason. If the Dolphins would have not been impressed with that I would have doubted their seriousness.

I really don't know where all that doom and gloom comes from. We have a core of good young players, some vets who came here to play. We do have holes. Absolutely. We were 7-9 with a boatload of injuries, crappy coaching on both sides and two bad QBs. I predicted prior t the season that we are an 8-8 team and if we get some good QB play we could be better. I did not calculate horrific coaching as well. So we are by the very definition an 8-8 team. The question is how good can we be if we upgrade the coaching and some players i.e. QB on offense.
Neither Richard nor Flores will come here to tank. How fast a rookie HC can lose his job we have seen in Arizona where they fired the guy after just one season.

Before we all call the doomsday hotline we have to givee Grier and his new coach a chance.

I’m not saying the players don’t try hard whoever they are. But you can cut or trade a lot of your better players and more importantly have your opening day QBs be David Fales and Luke Falk. You will definitely know the tank is underway if they trade Howard, which would fetch a huge return.

The bigger risk of tanking is that there can always be a team that manages to do it better than you do, in which case you get Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning. I still think it’s tbe Dolphins’ best option.

Back
Top Bottom