Ross v.s Philbin + Ireland - Is there a Power Struggle in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross v.s Philbin + Ireland - Is there a Power Struggle in Miami

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
At the end of last season, Ross wanted a big name coach, a big name playmaker to sell tickets...

This Sunday, we still have the same big names on offense and defense (Wake and Bush)

When Ross hired Philbin, I'm not sure he knew that Marshall would be released because he does not fit the new philosophy..

He probably begged to sign Chad Johnson to boost ticket sales and we ended up releasing him.

Now, we drated Tannehill and he doesn't have the luxury that Big Ben had (Elite defense, Hines Ward, etc..) and honnestly, Garrard gives us the best chance to be competitive this season..

So, what is going on in Miami???

I think Ross understands that you don't put all the pieces in place the first year under a new coach. We got the most important piece...QB. Give these people a chance to build from there. It takes time but if the QB choice is right, we will be good because this league is built that way. Remember, Manning had no weapons whatsoever as a rook and it all worked out for him.

I think Ross understands that you don't put all the pieces in place the first year under a new coach. We got the most important piece...QB. Give these people a chance to build from there. It takes time but if the QB choice is right, we will be good because this league is built that way. Remember, Manning had no weapons whatsoever as a rook and it all worked out for him.
LOL. Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Ken Dilger, Marcus Pollard.

Look, I dont care if BB quits NE and comes down here to be HC, nothing will sell out this stadium. Dont you people get it? The market is just not good. rich people own yachts and spend time on those yachts. Middle class depleted in Miami and largely hispanic culture. The football market there has dwindled for years. A great team is not going to fix that. It rarely sold out when Marino was around. I remember the orange seats and saying this for over 20 years!

Now, struggle between the men? cmon man, this is just pure fan reaction based on everything you are hearing. Just let the season play out and go from there. Its just not real if you talk about in a sense that we will start out the same as last year. Completely different circumstances.

Ireland and Ross had to convince Philbin to take on Chad Johnson...that was never going to work. Chad Johnson is overrated and for all the people that said we should never have let him go he was our best receiver...who's picked him up?

Ireland tried to land some free agents and succeeded with Richard Marshall but that was pretty much it. I think that's a product of a few things. Ireland isn't well respected around the league by players. Players on the outside (as well as fans) are not sure about the direction of this team. The roster has very little talent to begin with and free agents (unless they're grossly overpaid) want to be the player to take a team over the top not just another piece of a mostly unsolved puzzle.

Garrard got hurt or he would be starting. Hard to rely on someone who hurts himself playing with his kids. Getting hit in the mouth by a 275 lbs DE or 250 lbs linebacker is a heck of a lot more violent than playing with your kids.

What's going on is that we're in a bad situation with a lot of dead money tied up in our cap and a GM that thinks undrafted free agents can be developed into NFL starters and playmakers. The GM has put the coaching staff in a difficult situation and he's asked them to develop these players and I think now we're starting to see the coaching staff push back as evidence by some of their comments...like the receiving corp is a problem, Philbin saying 90% is on the players 10% is on coaching/scheme and just a general feeling that the roster lacks talent from the coaches if you listen to the press conferences. Ireland wants miracles, coaching staff is saying no can do.

And to add to my last point it's a lot easier to develop talent if the players have talent in the first place they can coach up and there is already a talented player at the position the younger players can learn from. We let go of Auitui who signed with the Jets but that kid flashed every time he played as did Randall. Both did more than McDaniel IMO but they probably didn't want two rookies backing up Soliai and Starks but my point is we have Soliai and Starks who are good, talented players that have probably taught Randall and Auitui a thing or two to make them better. There are too many units on the Dolphins where that's not the case.

yeah even with those, he still went 3-13. ...so the message here is to temper expectations when it comes to T/Hill
Yeah but even as a rookie with a 2nd year WR and a RB that would eventually get into the hall of fame they were 19th in total offense. Their defense was 29th and gave up 444 points.

I don't think the Dolphins will get anywhere near the offensive production that Indy got from Manning and his crew.

At the end of last season, Ross wanted a big name coach, a big name playmaker to sell tickets...

This Sunday, we still have the same big names on offense and defense (Wake and Bush)

When Ross hired Philbin, I'm not sure he knew that Marshall would be released because he does not fit the new philosophy..

He probably begged to sign Chad Johnson to boost ticket sales and we ended up releasing him.

Now, we drated Tannehill and he doesn't have the luxury that Big Ben had (Elite defense, Hines Ward, etc..) and honnestly, Garrard gives us the best chance to be competitive this season..

So, what is going on in Miami???

What are you doing?

Guessing?

Power struggle?

Ross own the damn team. He has ALL the power.

Look, I dont care if BB quits NE and comes down here to be HC, nothing will sell out this stadium. Dont you people get it? The market is just not good. rich people own yachts and spend time on those yachts. Middle class depleted in Miami and largely hispanic culture. The football market there has dwindled for years. A great team is not going to fix that. It rarely sold out when Marino was around. I remember the orange seats and saying this for over 20 years!

Now, struggle between the men? cmon man, this is just pure fan reaction based on everything you are hearing. Just let the season play out and go from there. Its just not real if you talk about in a sense that we will start out the same as last year. Completely different circumstances.

100% Agree. And I add the Miami Heat to back up that statement. They have one of the best teams ever built and look at how the Arena was hardly ever filled to capacity the past 2 years. South Florida is a horrible market for sports because there is just so many other things to do here.

Ireland and Ross had to convince Philbin to take on Chad Johnson...that was never going to work. Chad Johnson is overrated and for all the people that said we should never have let him go he was our best receiver...who's picked him up?

Ireland tried to land some free agents and succeeded with Richard Marshall but that was pretty much it. I think that's a product of a few things. Ireland isn't well respected around the league by players. Players on the outside (as well as fans) are not sure about the direction of this team. The roster has very little talent to begin with and free agents (unless they're grossly overpaid) want to be the player to take a team over the top not just another piece of a mostly unsolved puzzle.

Garrard got hurt or he would be starting. Hard to rely on someone who hurts himself playing with his kids. Getting hit in the mouth by a 275 lbs DE or 250 lbs linebacker is a heck of a lot more violent than playing with your kids.

What's going on is that we're in a bad situation with a lot of dead money tied up in our cap and a GM that thinks undrafted free agents can be developed into NFL starters and playmakers. The GM has put the coaching staff in a difficult situation and he's asked them to develop these players and I think now we're starting to see the coaching staff push back as evidence by some of their comments...like the receiving corp is a problem, Philbin saying 90% is on the players 10% is on coaching/scheme and just a general feeling that the roster lacks talent from the coaches if you listen to the press conferences. Ireland wants miracles, coaching staff is saying no can do.

And to add to my last point it's a lot easier to develop talent if the players have talent in the first place they can coach up and there is already a talented player at the position the younger players can learn from. We let go of Auitui who signed with the Jets but that kid flashed every time he played as did Randall. Both did more than McDaniel IMO but they probably didn't want two rookies backing up Soliai and Starks but my point is we have Soliai and Starks who are good, talented players that have probably taught Randall and Auitui a thing or two to make them better. There are too many units on the Dolphins where that's not the case.

I'm with ya truth, 100%.

Back
Top Bottom