FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
This is a nice piece:

Rough and ready

Iowa DE Roth has power, toughness and desire to succeed at next level

By Chris Neubauer
April 22, 2005

Matt Roth

Matt Roth doesn’t want to scare people, just intimidate them.

But scare is what the 6-3, 280-pound Roth often did to college opponents and even teammates.

Listen to this Roth tale told by the man, the myth himself in the chilly, dimly lit basement of his parents’ sprawling Oak Brook, Ill., home just west of Chicago. This Rothian tale, like so many involving the former Iowa defensive end, takes place on the serene Hawkeyes’ practice fields and involves a Roth vs. Unsuspecting Offensive Lineman showdown.

“Last year (an offensive tackle) that was a junior, we were about to go up and do a pass-rush drill. He got real nervous,†Roth said. “I’m getting down in my stance. They’re about to call the cadence and he passed out. He got so nervous. It was going to be his chance to start that week and then he got a little more nervous when he saw it was me in the pass rush.

“I’ve had some easy paths to the quarterback, but that didn’t seem right.â€Â

Neither did the time when Roth ripped the facemask off the helmet of Raiders OT Robert Gallery  the No. 2 overall pick in the 2004 draft  at an Iowa practice.

“I was trying to shed a block and then he grabbed my pads and must have grabbed my facemask on accident. He pulled me to the ground so I threw a punch at him. The next thing I know we’re rolling around. I just grabbed something. I went to yank off his helmet and his facemask  the bolts popped off and off came the facemask,†Roth said while demonstrating the tearing motion he used with his 11-inch hands  third largest at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“The rest is history. It popped off pretty easy. I had to sit out a few plays,†he said. “Even afterward me and Gallery were fine. We were laughing about it. It was in good fun.â€Â

Yeah, it’s all fun and games until someone’s facemask gets ripped off.

Mod edit: Copy write laws forbid us from hosting full articles that belong to someone else. Provide a short sample and a link to your articles, please.

Boomer said:
Some of Roth’s intensity can also be attributed to his successful run as a state-champion wrestler in high school. Many coaches, scouts and wrestlers-turned-football-players will laud wrestling for the leverage and quick hands it provides for football. Roth credits wrestling for the never-say-die attitude it gave him.

“It’s the attitude. (Wrestling) helps you with your hips, your hands and your balance, but more than anything it helps you with your attitude,†he said. “A lot of these kids that are basketball players, we eat those kids up. It’s just our mentality  you’re going to get the job done and you’re going to punish them.â€Â

Roth said his dream partner on the wrestling mat would be Ravens LB Ray Lewis, himself an accomplished high school wrestler. Don King is already promoting the match as “The Rumble in the Limo.

I am likeing this guy more and more. I also was a wrestler and this is good to hear. I hear so many kids that will not wrestle cause they are playing football. They don't realize what wrestling can give ya. This is awsome and will have to keep this to read it off to some of the kids at practices. Roth and Lewis. I would love to see that
:wink:

“A lot of these kids that are basketball players, we eat those kids up. It’s just our mentality  you’re going to get the job done and you’re going to punish them.â€

best part :evil:

He has that same nastiness that Rick Graf used to have--just hope and i'm sure he is going to be a better player :wink:

the first time this kid lines up in practice across from an o-lineman, said lineman should just fall over...

i thought if u give credit to the publisher and writer its not a copywrite infringement??

tucker said:
i thought if u give credit to the publisher and writer its not a copywrite infringement??
What about the site that hosts the original article...Are they supposed to let the content go all over the web without one single click on any of the ads that people have paid to put on their website?

Back
Top Bottom