Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 1, Pick 18: Austin Jackson, OT

Better than Jones. Better than Cleveland.

Needed to trade up to get Wills - if you couldn't make that happen Jackson at #18 is the next best thing. Miami was forced to reach a little bit here to still get one of the top tackles. The potential for someone to trade up and take him before #26 was there. Give him time.
I think we did try or at least some team did that's why SF traded out at 14.

Better than Jones and Cleveland at LT. Those 2 guys are RTs.

Cleveland in the 2nd would be nice. Biadazs in 3rd.

The thing I’m disappointed most about with this pick is the fact that we picked a “project” with glaring weaknesses the 18th overall pick, rather than a plug and play starter. We’ve had our share of “project” o-lineman picked in the first 3 rounds that wind up not reaching their “potential,” so why should we expect this guys to be any different from, say, a Jonathan Martin?

Here's a good outline on 73 Austin Jackson. He wasn't a man among boys elite but I'd take his collage stats in the NFL.

Austin Jackson.jpeg

He could potentially go in the top 20 picks, but given his performance and developmental stage, is definitely more of a Day 2 player. But given how important offensive line is, and with how many teams are in need of tackles, Jackson will get every chance to succeed there.

RELATED STORY: 2020 NFL Draft: Josh Jones leads the second tier of tackles
Calling Jackson a risk is an understatement. Someone like Ezra Cleveland is also a risk, but at least Cleveland had a good, long college career. J

The thing I’m disappointed most about with this pick is the fact that we picked a “project” with glaring weaknesses the 18th overall pick, rather than a plug and play starter. We’ve had our share of “project” o-lineman picked in the first 3 rounds that wind up not reaching their “potential,” so why should we expect this guys to be any different from, say, a Jonathan Martin?

I can accept your point, but Martin as an example is a horrible analogy. Martin’s issues were mental, and he is not a high character guy. Austin Jackson gave bone marrow to save his sister which impacted his senior year play because of the recovery time. It is a huge insult to Jackson to compare him to Martin!!

I watched all but a couple USC games and this kid has a huge upside. He was a much better player from mid Nov on. I'm sure what he did for his sister took a lot out of him. It's an intense procedure to donate marrow. Jackson might not be a plug and play guy, but he'll get in there. He's only 20. I love the pick

So we gotta wait 3 years for this guy to become Juwan James because he’s only 20? RT becoming LT because you have a left handed QB is so overrated. Defenses are not going to shift their defense because a QB is left handed.

So tired of pumping 1sts into the O-line by reaching with so so talent.
This pick is the anti-Ja'wuan James.

James was pretty much where he was going to be when he was picked.

The classic high floor, low ceiling, safe, reach of a first round pick.

I'm not sure Jackson isn't already in the James ballpark floor-wise, but you can't hardly see his ceiling from here.

No comparison.

Back
Top Bottom