Round 6, the top value round | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 6, the top value round

Mario Edwards is now a Dolphins.

2005 6th round steal (potentially) - Anttaj Hawthorne.

how bout rex hadnot for us last year... he played well when he was in, maybe he'll be able to crack the starting lineup again and be a solid player for us...

finsnchips said:
2005 6th round steal (potentially) - Anttaj Hawthorne.

shhh, dont say that out loud. I think he is the steal of the draft and you will get tar and feathered about his off the field problems and how he is an underachiever and half arsed it through combine workouts.... plus he smokes pot (along with about 50% of the NFL) but since he got caught, he is a bad man.

By the writers own admission, only about 36 players out of 339 selected in the 6th round from '94-'02 have been significant multi year contributers in the NFL .

So, on average once every 9 years or so a team selects a player in the 6th round that turns out to be a gem.
Not exactly my definition of "value"

Philter25 said:
shhh, dont say that out loud. I think he is the steal of the draft and you will get tar and feathered about his off the field problems and how he is an underachiever and half arsed it through combine workouts.... plus he smokes pot (along with about 50% of the NFL) but since he got caught, he is a bad man.

The fact that Hawthorne smoked pot just before the combine (when he knew he would be tested) doesnt make him a bad man.
Just a very, very stupid one.

yankeehillbilly said:
By the writers own admission, only about 36 players out of 339 selected in the 6th round from '94-'02 have been significant multi year contributers in the NFL .

So, on average once every 9 years or so a team selects a player in the 6th round that turns out to be a gem.
Not exactly my definition of "value"

Actually I think the opposite... do the math from HS to College (all divisions) to draft day to actually making a roster.... you go from millions to less than 2,000.... pretty elite group no matter how you get there.... and to be selected and have a productive career from the 6th round is the ultimate value in the play for pay game of the NFL....

More "value" news according to SN...

"23.2 percent of the players on rosters last September had entered the league as college free agents"

Some of this years crop of UDFA's and what they signed for just for a chance to make an impression...

Player Team Bonus
CB Brandon Browner Broncos $21,000

TE Tony Curtis Dallas $20,000

TE Wesley Duke Broncos $20,000

FB Jon Goldsberry Bills $20,000

ILB Mike Goolsby Cowboys $12,500

S Ernest Shazor Cardinals $12,500

S Jim Leonhard Bills $10,000

RB Kay-Jay Harris Dolphins $6,500

Senior writer Dan Pompei

yankeehillbilly said:
The fact that Hawthorne smoked pot just before the combine (when he knew he would be tested) doesnt make him a bad man.
Just a very, very stupid one.

It makes you wonder what the hell these guys are thinking!!! :shakeno:

arsenal said:
how bout rex hadnot for us last year... he played well when he was in, maybe he'll be able to crack the starting lineup again and be a solid player for us...

I hope we move him to Center

Philter25 said:
:lol:, i kno.

I can understand the 'he takes plays off' arguement, but he'll get his head sorted in the pros and be very productive.

Philter25 said:

...WOW!!!!! Sounds like someone else Iknow........RESIGN DAVID BOSTON G__AMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedayafter said:
Interesting piece on the draft and how the better teams at evaluating talent secure great values in the 6th round.... no Dolphins on the list.

http://www.gbnreport.com/guestfile.html

Some good players listed. also i don't think they should have put Punters on the list. I mean come on, Punters are suppost to get drafted in the later rounds so your not really finding a hidden gem there.

Back
Top Bottom