Rumor: Aikman still very much on Phins' radar | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Aikman still very much on Phins' radar

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
From NFL Insider (June 26):
By Michael Jessen

Wither Aikman...

Meanwhile, another future Hall of Famer, former Cowboys' QB Troy Aikman, also still has the itch to get back on the field. And make no mistake about it, Aikman is very much in the bullpen for the Dolphins. Here's the drill. If Jay Fiedler stays healthy, there's zero per cent chance that Aikman will play for the Dolphins this season. But if Fiedler goes down, that could change to 100 per cent chance as the Dolphins will almost assuredly give Aikman a call. In fact, Aikman already has the Dolphins' playbook; he's staying in shape, and he talks with former Cowboys' assistant coach and current Dolphins' offensive co-ordinator Norv Turner regularly. It still could still be a tough decision for Aikman, however, who would have to give up his newly-won role as Fox' No. 1 color commentator after inheriting the job from MNF-bound John Madden."

"Meanwhile, it's been slow going for Miami on the Ricky Williams' contract front. Before the trade that got him out of New Orleans, the Dolphins promised they'd take care of Williams after the deal went down. And Williams accepted because he viewed Dolphins' owner Wayne Huizenga's word as good as gold. He even jumped into the Dolphins' offseason program with both feet, but is still waiting for the new deal. Believe it or not, though Williams didn't actually meet Huizenga until this week, when they attended a banquet together. That may be just the ticket to getting talks between the two sides humming."

Well, whaddya think??

You sure that was from June 26th? I read the exact same article on Apirl 26th give or take a week. I see this as another crap story from NFL insider. I think Norv and Dave would be more comfortable with Ray Lucas at the helm then a 37 year old concussion victim with a bad back, that didn't go thru training camp. Maybee if Jay goes down before the preseason games start.

Dajesus, I agree 100%, I would agree more but it is not possible to agree 110%, so my agreeing level stays at 100%

Just re-checked. Yup, it says June 26th. Read it on the GBN Report.

It's not 100% out of the question, but highly unlikely. There's a guy on DT who thinks that Ray Lucas will not make the team. He hears that Lucas IS NOT doing well in Norv's offense and believes that Lucas is battling KUSTOK for the 3rd QB spot and that Levcik is currently the #2 man.

Where did this crap about Ricky Williams getting a new contract this year come from?? Everything, I heard said they were asking Williams to play on his current contract for this year, and if things worked out the would take care of him NEXT year. I beleive I even read a quote directly from Wannstedt to that effect.

It sound like this "writer" is VERY ill-informed to me.

Grooves thats what I am taling about, this is a reprinted article that that horrible web site reprinted and took credit for. I am almost positive it was a ESPN reporter that wrote this right after the draft, if not ESPN then it was pro football weekly. Levcik may have some potential but it would take a 10 td 0 int performance this preseason for him to unseat Ray as the #2 guy. He played against D1aa that is quite a leap to the NFL.

I honestly don't know how Levcik is considered the second stringer already when training camp hasn't even begun. I like Levcik a lot but to already say he's our 2nd QB is a bit of a reach at this point.

I doubt Aikman would want to give up his cushy job with FOX just to help the Dolphins, but if Fiedler were to go down to injury in the latter part of the season, you'd be hard pressed to find someone else more qualified that would be available. Ray Lucas?---please. I'd take my chances with Aikman over Lucas and any of the rooks anyday. And for 6 or 7 games, he should be able to remain healthy enough.

I like Aikman even though he's one good hit away from being the second coming of Rain Man.

I heard the same thing about Ricky months ago (that his contract won't be touched until after the season). So I know that report is bullcrap. But I thought I'd throw it in there anyway for the sake of discussion. It's the offseason you know!! But I hadn't seen the original article your talking about. I feel it's bullcrap too.

Originally posted by Muck
Just re-checked. Yup, it says June 26th. Read it on the GBN Report.

It's not 100% out of the question, but highly unlikely. There's a guy on DT who thinks that Ray Lucas will not make the team. He hears that Lucas IS NOT doing well in Norv's offense and believes that Lucas is battling KUSTOK for the 3rd QB spot and that Levcik is currently the #2 man.

I read somewhere that Levick and Kustok.....one will be on the practice squad the other won't make the team and will be cut. And the only reason people are talking about either of them is because Cade McNown was so bad they each looked decent next to him. Lucas isn't going anywhere becuase of his contract. Impossible to move him. If a vet QB is cut sometime during training camp by another team, Miami could go after somebody. Kent Graham is a name talked about.

Originally posted by relive1972
I doubt Aikman would want to give up his cushy job with FOX just to help the Dolphins, but if Fiedler were to go down to injury in the latter part of the season, you'd be hard pressed to find someone else more qualified that would be available. Ray Lucas?---please. I'd take my chances with Aikman over Lucas and any of the rooks anyday. And for 6 or 7 games, he should be able to remain healthy enough.

Actually Aikman isn't thrilled with his job at FOX I have read in a couple places. But unless Fiedler goes down in Sep or Oct, Aikman ain't coming back. Say Fiedler goes down iN November. It would take at least a month for Aikman to sign, get in shape, learn the offense, and practice with the team so everyone is on the same page. The season would be over by the time he is ready.

This is why Miami needs another WR. Lucas showed in NY when Vinny went down that one year if you put quality around him (Marrtin, Keyshaw, Chrebet) that he is capable of holding down the fort and doing a decent job. If Fiedler were to go down, there isn't enough around a player like Lucas to let him succede.

Originally posted by Muck
I heard the same thing about Ricky months ago (that his contract won't be touched until after the season). So I know that report is bullcrap. But I thought I'd throw it in there anyway for the sake of discussion. It's the offseason you know!! But I hadn't seen the original article your talking about. I feel it's bullcrap too.

If Miami is smart they wouldn't touch Ricky's contract until after the season. Say Ricky gets hurt, then you can sign him at a lesser price come seasons end. Say Ricky stinks the place up, you can sign him at a lesser price. Unless Ricky tears things up and has a career year does Miami get burnt and end up paying more. Which would be OK because if Ricky has that kind of year it probably means the team did well and nobody would mind paying out that kind of money.

Originally posted by Iron Man
I honestly don't know how Levcik is considered the second stringer already when training camp hasn't even begun. I like Levcik a lot but to already say he's our 2nd QB is a bit of a reach at this point.

Once again, reports I have read and heard are both really aren't NFL QB's and anywhere near ready. They were just better than Cade McNown which shocked everyone because McNown had been in the league for so long. Levick or Kustok in 4 or 5 years might be capable NFL back-up's. But right now it looks like one will be looking for work come August and the other might be on the practice squad.

Back
Top Bottom