Rumor has Dolphins, Patriots eyeing each other with concerns... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor has Dolphins, Patriots eyeing each other with concerns...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
On September 23rd, at 9am Pro Football Talk posted this...

FINS FAR FROM PERFECT

Sure, they're 3-0. Sure, they've got their most dominating running back since the days of Larry Csonka. Sure, the defense is still suffocating the opposing teams, even without Patrick Surtain in the lineup.

But the Miami Dolphins need to address a couple of key areas if they hope to get past the reigning kings of the AFC, the New England Patriots.

A league source tells us that, despite their overall success, there are two key components of the passing game that could drag the fish (okay, mammals) down as the season unfolds. First, the offensive line isn't consistently buying enough time for quarterback Jay Fiedler to unload the ball. Though he was sacked only one time by the Jets, Fielder passed for only 185 yards on 30 attempts.

The other problem is that the wideouts aren't getting enough separation in their routes. Oronde Gadsden had a highlight-reel catch on Sunday -- but it was his only reception of the day, for 23 yards. Chris Chambers caught four passes for 33, and Dedric Ward caught two balls, for a mere 17 yards.

Rookie tight end Randy McMichael has been picking up the slack nicely, with five catches for 79 yards on Sunday (and a touchdown). However, the Dolphins are concerned that future opponents (i.e., the Pats) will try to shut him down.

As the Dolphins prepare to play teams who will be better equipped to contain Ricky Williams -- who suddenly looks better than ever -- Fiedler will need time and open targets in order to keep the chains moving. It's an issue that bears watching as the weeks unfold.

Not wholly unreasonable in my opinion. Our WRs aren't where they need to be right now, they need to improve. They're YAC/R figures and their YPC figures are far below where they should be when the Norv Turner offense is firing on most/all cylinders.

But now, today, Pro Football Talk posted this...

PATS CONCERNED ABOUT D-LINE

On Monday, we outlined some problems that the Miami Dolphins need to address if they hope to compete with the New England Patriots. However, a league source tells us that the Pats have concerns of their own regarding the Dolphins, especially with Ricky Williams suddenly looking like the dude who nearly persuaded Mike Ditka to turn fruity three years ago. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

According to the source, the Patriots realize that their D-line is composed of several guys who had career years in 2001. On Sunday, however, the unit was dominated by the Chiefs and running back Priest Holmes. Though Holmes has emerged since moving from Baltimore to K.C. after the 2000 season, no one should confuse him with the new, improved Ricky Williams, who arguably is the leading early candidate for MVP honors.

Given the quiet concerns regarding the Dolphins passing game, look for the Pats to stack up against the run on October 6, forcing Jay Fielder to try to beat them with his arm. Either way, it'll be a good one to watch.

So it would seem that the Patriots and Dolphins are eyeing each other with concerns in their mind about their own shortcomings, despite the magnitude of BOTH teams' success on offense and defense. This will be, a REALLY good matchup!

I can guarantee you that Tom Brady is not going to make Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain look bad, and all in all he's going to have a heck of a time against our secondary if the Patriots pass as much against us as they have against other opponents thus far this season.

If we can control the clock against the Patriots with the run, and cause Brady and Co. to have numerous 3 and outs, which is possible considering the fact that our secondary is very good and the patriots are very pass-happy, we should beat them (Assuming we win the turnover battle, of course).

PFW is bs

It think they are shooting in the dark just fishing for something to write about.
These are the two best teams in the NFL and PFW want to be the first to throw logs in the fireplace.

Miami doesn't have to pass as much. They failed to mention the dropped passes as part of the problem--this can be corrected.
They also didn't mention the play action fake and how successfull it has been.
Norv is no fool--did they mention that?? He will take what the defense gives him.
I don't think Miami has a problem with the WR getting separation more so than them dropping passes.

Fiedler can beat you with his arm...its not like he hasn't thrown enough td passes yet.

I think its kinda about time we start giving Brady some credit here. He's got the best QB rating in the NFL right now, and he's thrown something ridiculous like 120 passes in 3 starts. They've put him in the shotgun and let him pick the field apart against everyone and he has with his crisp on target passes. He's a lot like Jim Kelly, and he's got a great NFL future sitting in front of him.

It will be a tough matchup, but in the end if we win it, it will probably be because Antowain Smith is nothing but a pretender at RB and Brady can't do everything himself.

Since when is dropped passes by WRs a correctable problem? If that was the case then James McKnight would be starting over Oronde Gadsden right now. PFT is right. This IS pro football TALK by the way, not pro football WEEKLY. Very different sites. PFT's rumor mill hits more rumors right on the head weeks before they happen than any site I've ever heard tell of. They posted the Daryl Gardener situation up like a month before it finally happened.

They should be worried about each other, they're both 3-0 possibly 4-0 going into a showdown in Miami for the division lead, CBS has got to be drooling over this one. :p

Both teams have weeknesses that the other will try and expose,,,,,,, ahhh thats football folks

what happened to focusing on KC and not looking ahead? That's how teams get beat...focus.

As I eluded to in an earlier post...

The Patriots are a better team then people were giving them credit for before the season, but I don't think they are as good as most people are saying they are now...

IMHO the reason they are beating people and looking so good on O is because NO-ONE saw the Patriots Pass offense comming...

They went from an ultra-conservative ball control "let the defense win the game" last year to a High flying air show this year... Teams just weren't ready for that from the Pats...

I believe the Pats are winning with Scheme more then they are with talent...

By week 5, there SHOULD be enough game tape to at least be better prepared defensively to face them. KC has already shown us how to de-scheme their defense...

Sure the Pats will have game tape on us, but we are winning on Scheme AND Talent. So no matter what defensive scheme they come up with we have so many offensive weapons that they are going to be forced to play us honest or pay. Once they do that...? Wel, I'll take a talent on talent matchup with the Patriots any time.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Since when is dropped passes by WRs a correctable problem? If that was the case then James McKnight would be starting over Oronde Gadsden right now. PFT is right. This IS pro football TALK by the way, not pro football WEEKLY. Very different sites. PFT's rumor mill hits more rumors right on the head weeks before they happen than any site I've ever heard tell of. They posted the Daryl Gardener situation up like a month before it finally happened.

When the WRs start catching the passes, is the problem corrected or was there ever really a problem in the first place?

Using McKnight as an example really is pointless...he has consistently dropped passes since he has been with Miami. Gadsden on the other hand is known for having good hands and I'd be surprised if he keeps dropping them all year long.

Originally posted by Hellion
They should be worried about each other, they're both 3-0 possibly 4-0 going into a showdown in Miami for the division lead, CBS has got to be drooling over this one. :p

Both teams have weeknesses that the other will try and expose,,,,,,, ahhh thats football folks

NO they shouldn't. You think that both of these teams are focusing on each other right now? NO! They are looking to who they play next week and trying to win that game.

We fans have the luxury to harp about what is coming up ahead.

Right now the KC team is a good team that almost beat the Pats,,I think that should be the focus, as Wanny said the Pats game is next week..i put a stats thread here about the Fins vs Chief..check it out...the Chiefs is where the focus such be..

PHINS MATCH UP NICELY!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that the PHINS matchup nicely against the PATS!!! I really think our PHINS are the BETTER TEAM!! I'll tell you why!! Just look at last season, down here the PHINS simply CRUSHED tha PATSIES and BRADY was a TOTAL non factor and even gave up the ball a few times!! In the second game and a very important game the PATS had to use trick plays to move the ball and get momentum and don't forget the PHINS were in the RED ZONE 3 times and came away with ZERO points!! That crucial fumble by LAMAR at the 1 yard line still sticks in my mind!! I know it's a different year and the PATS did go on a roll last season but I still think the PHINS are just SUPERIOR at this JUNCTURE!!! GO PHINS!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 85inthehall
what happened to focusing on KC and not looking ahead? That's how teams get beat...focus.

Dude, we're not the players or coaches of the Miami Dolphins.

Ahhh...Never mind. I see what comments you were replying to.

Back
Top Bottom