*rumor* No Source - Texans Looking To Move Clowney??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*rumor* No Source - Texans Looking To Move Clowney???

He’s going to want a mega deal.

I wouldnt want to give up high assists in next year’s draft for him personally... but he would be an okay add... he is injury prone indeed though.

Texans radio guy is reporting Clowney refuses to sign a long term deal so MIami backed out.

The problem with that report is he can’t sign a long term deal. He can wink/nod, but that is all.

Then the guy said he worded it wrong. Miami wanted “long term assurances” which is worth less than toilet paper.

I find it hard to believe MIami would back out because of that.

I also have issues with the potential compensation. Without a long term deal, what would MIami offer for the guy? Say he signs a long term deal elsewhere in FA, that is what a 3rd round compensatory? That is the starting point as the absolute floor if I am the Texans.

I dunno. If we got him for Reshad and a 3rd he would be worth a one year rental to see if he fits and we want him long term. But that is about it for me... and I don’t know their safety situation.

Edit: I think he could totally alter the arc of our d. Put him at RDE, move tank to LDE, and all of a sudden the CBS don’t have to cover for 7 seconds

I wouldn't do it at this point. We need way too many pieces to spend big bucks and draft picks on him. I do like him, but I'd rather us build through the draft.

I agree with NOT trading away our first round pick for this guy. That'd be an ireland or t-bumb kind of move from the past.

Texans radio guy is reporting Clowney refuses to sign a long term deal so MIami backed out.

The problem with that report is he can’t sign a long term deal. He can wink/nod, but that is all.

Then the guy said he worded it wrong. Miami wanted “long term assurances” which is worth less than toilet paper.

I find it hard to believe MIami would back out because of that.

I also have issues with the potential compensation. Without a long term deal, what would MIami offer for the guy? Say he signs a long term deal elsewhere in FA, that is what a 3rd round compensatory? That is the starting point as the absolute floor if I am the Texans.

I dunno. If we got him for Reshad and a 3rd he would be worth a one year rental to see if he fits and we want him long term. But that is about it for me... and I don’t know their safety situation.

Edit: I think he could totally alter the arc of our d. Put him at RDE, move tank to LDE, and all of a sudden the CBS don’t have to cover for 7 seconds
I'm a little confused about the quote I just finished reading on Bleacher Report. Apparently Clowney refused to go to Miami? Is it because doesn't want to play there or is it something else?

The only way Clowney can refuse to come here is to refuse to sign the franchise tender. That report seems off though. He can’t sign anything but the franchise tender until next year.

Anyone ready to offer anything more than a 5th needs to follow Gase to New York. This is not the same ole, same ole Fins. We are heading in a new direction. I'm not going to get into the comp pick strategy (seems like many fans do not understand it). I'll just say you don't trade away premium picks for a DE in his last year of contract, has not been able to stay healthy and never has recorded a 10 sack season.

But here’s the problem, as outlined to me by a league source: Say the Dolphins are interested in Clowney. They’re giving up a first-round and possibly other picks to get him and then sign him to a huge deal?

Would he agree to come to Miami and sign a new deal? And would the Dolphins think it a good investment to pay multiple high picks in the current environment?

Is he the final piece of the puzzle on defense for a Miami team making a run at a championship with a great franchise quarterback?

Oh, wait. No. The Dolphins actually have no franchise quarterback.

And to get that great quarterback the Dolphins have to hope Josh Rosen suddenly blossoms into something amazing or they have to draft a QB next spring in the first round. Except that would take a first-round pick and maybe other resources

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/...ticle233807042.html?__twitter_impression=true

Nah.

Doesn't make sense for Miami. Slimm mentioned it before the draft, but Pass Rushers help put you over the top - when you're already good. They don't make bad teams good. What does make bad teams good? Playcallers, QB's, OL, and receiving options.

The Bears had a stacked D and an elite DC, but they needed a Pass Rusher. But, even with a historically good D, Chicago came up short because of their QB (and Kicker), and the D is bound to regress in 2020 (would have even if Fangio stayed). In life and football, invest in things with staying power. Offensive production is sticky, because so much of its success is tied to Playcaller, QB, and OL - all tend to be good or bad year over year. Miami isn't close to where Chicago was, but even if they were, that type of investment in a Pass Rusher is more questionable than most understand.

Spot on.

IMO you have X, Tunsil, Fitz, Baker, and our new DT, and some game breakers on O. For the right price (say Stills and a 3rd) with a new contract, I have added another weapon to build around, a potential game changer. A change of scenery and new attitude coaching approach may be advantageous. Also think Tom Brady, you have to make him uncomfortable to beat him.

Back
Top Bottom