RUMOR: The Team to Watch in Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Talks is Miami | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RUMOR: The Team to Watch in Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Talks is Miami

You're missing the point that Tua is average at best! Jimmy actually is better in just about every measurable stat, including winning. He just wins. I get it, he had better players around him

Is it so hard to believe a guy that's led his team to 5 playoff wins, including at Green Bay and at Dallas is better than what we have? Literally every QB ranking has him above Tua. Could this change, for sure but to this point no.

Again, I wouldn't make the trade for money reasons. I think he's overpaid but to say he's better than Tua is no stretch.

I guess the “this could change” is just it. We all hope Tua ends up being better than Jimmy G and right now there is still a chance of that happening. Otherwise we just settle for Jimmy G level which as you pointed out isn’t bad but not as good as we all would hope for.

I get that Tua isn’t the perfect QB but I sure hope everybody understands, putting their meaningless QB evaluation skills aside, him working out for us is the best case scenario whether folks were right or wrong about him. Good QB’s are hard to come by, starting over now with this roster would suck.

Last edited:
i think so, yes
Fair enough.

My position really has nothing to do with Tua per se. I just don't put a high value on trading for an average QB no matter who it is. I want better for my team than average, so I don't see the point in doing so, irrespective of who that QB is.

That is not to say that Tua has reached his ceiling or full potential. I do not know at this point.

I guess the “this could change” is just it. We all hope Tua ends up being better than Jimmy G and right now there is still a chance of that happening. Otherwise we just settle for Jimmy G level which as you pointed out isn’t bad but not as good as we all would hope for.

I get that Tua isn’t the perfect QB but I sure hope everybody understands, putting their meaningless QB evaluation skills aside, him working out for us is the best case scenario whether folks were right or wrong about him. Flood QB’s are hard to come by, starting over now with this roster would suck.
Starting over with this roster is a square one reset. If Tua fails, it may be advisable for a fire sale and try again without Grier.

Starting over with this roster is a square one reset. If Tua fails, it may be advisable for a fire sale and try again without Grier.
I don't think theirs any reason to do that. We have a strong team. If Tua fails, we can draft his replacement next year and still have up and coming talent developing in the mean time.

I get that Tua isn’t the perfect QB but I sure hope everybody understands, putting their meaningless QB evaluation skills aside, him working out for us is the best case scenario whether folks were right or wrong about him. Good QB’s are hard to come by, starting over now with this roster would suck.

PLUS Jimmy G is not 20 million dollars better than Tua (and everyone knows my opinion on Tua).

I am not trading draft capital and cap room for basically the same QB (yes at the moment Jimmy is incrementally better, but that is simply not enough for the capital and abandoning any hope on the #5 draft pick)

Although they might make it through one season collectively....lol.

Well, I partially agree.

I think they may be daring him to go deep simply because they have 5 defenders covering 3 receiving options

Defenses had it easy when Miami kept needing 6 or 7 guys to block 4.

Maybe I may not understand terminology, so I may be wrong here. But it almost always seemed like there was a defender in front and behind the deep receiver.

One of the reasons we had no YAC. Didn't matter if throw was in target or hit the receiver in stride. Always seemed to be 2 defenders around the receiver.

So I believe they dared Tua, but only because they knew 99% of the time they had the numbers.

There's a reason whenever Tua was given average time he was hitting receivers deep, or relatively deep.

When Tua had time it appeared, to me, he preferred to "push" the ball downfield.

But, this season we'll see. No excuses. He finally has a roster where the roster can't be an excuse for average or below average play.

It will be fun to see which side was right on Tua this year lol.

I think we will have a very fun season
It will be exciting watching Hill and Waddle try to one up each other this year.

2 guys who can take a 5 yard pass 95 yards for a TD and a QB with Tuas accuracy and release???????? Grier perfectly set this team up.for Tuas strengths. Even Edmods and Moster fit perfectly for his style IMO.

If he can stay healthy, Mostert will make a lot of big plays IMO.

Without going too deep into it, I personally think they played the type of defenses they did for these reasons.

1) The lack of protection. This has nothing to do with Tua, it's just a fact that we didn't have the ability to run long developing plays.

2) Long passes are low % throws for the best of them. There isn't much chance of Tua throwing a laser 30 yard out route before a defender can close. So since the over the top ball he's good at is a low % play and you aren't worried about defending the deep-intermediate area...I just think you're going to crowd the high % thing he does best, which is throw short to intermediate routes with timing.

Fair enough.

My position really has nothing to do with Tua per se. I just don't put a high value on trading for an average QB no matter who it is. I want better for my team than average, so I don't see the point in doing so, irrespective of who that QB is.

That is not to say that Tua has reached his ceiling or full potential. I do not know at this point.

Are you saying that Carolina made a mistake? /s?

Back
Top Bottom