Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons. | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons.

I think this is an exaggeration and maybe my statement wasn’t correct but I figured you knew what I meant… if he goes from top20 to top40-50 you want to cut him? That was my point.
First, athletically, I think the difference between good and bad for NFL Corners is no more that 5%-10%, so we will have to disagree about the exaggeration part. Now, there is more to being a top Corner than just the athletic part, but if a guy doesn't have top level physical tools at that particular position, the rest is meaningless. I have actually supported Jones in the past when ppl were bitching about his contract, but there's a big difference between supporting a high paid guy in which one has a high level of confidence on an every game basis and supporting a guy that has had a serious injury, creating big question marks about his abilities going forward.

As to your question, there are a few factors at play here, but I would have to definitely consider it. If he were in the 40-50 area, it would mean he is in the bottom of starting NFL corners, and it appears to me, Kohou would be substantially better, and get the starting nod. Now you are paying top $ for a guy that isn't even a starter? Or a guy that is basically low tier insurance?

None of know the specifics here, and nobody, including the coaches know if he has lost too much to be a top third corner again, or lost anything at all if he can't even get on the practice field. As fans, we can only speculate, but I guarantee the Dolphin powers that be are considering all their options and ramifications. To do otherwise is incompetence.

Last edited:
Nothing is impossible. I think there would be financial consequences for holding out in the guise of an injury. Many would say that he was already overpaid which resulted in the Fins having to redo X-Man's contract. Looks like we will be in the market for another corner next year. Hopefully There are some decent ones in the 2 or 3 in 2023 draft as we have a 2,3,7.

Do players that never played a game get a Superbowl ring? If so I would probably just sell it. Why keep something that you had no part in? Probably won't happen either way.

Nothing is impossible. I think there would be financial consequences for holding out in the guise of an injury. Many would say that he was already overpaid which resulted in the Fins having to redo X-Man's contract. Looks like we will be in the market for another corner next year. Hopefully There are some decent ones in the 2 or 3 in 2023 draft as we have a 2,3,7.
I believe we have two third round picks. New England’s third for Parker. We have Chicago’s 6th as well.

Based on his current trajectory, Kohou could realistically hold down one starting corner spot, but that still means we need a slot guy, as well as a competent #4.

I think the signing of Chubb was made to reinforce and make up for the fewer blitz packages.
Correct, now if you are able to get Byron back also, maybe God likes the Dolphins and will help us. Lol

Are you saying being overpaid, which is subjective to begin with, in itself is reason enough to eat 14 million?

No not all. We are going to it eat anyway. He is not getting another contract from us and I feel like he will sit the entire time either way.

I would rather trade him this offseason for another player or players and eat the 14 mil while getting other players to play in his stead. Plus he is overrated to boot.

If we can't do that, we are in a lose-lose either way.

Needham to the slot?
While that would be ideal but, similarly to the possible Jones situation, we really do not know, nor can we know until next year (at TC?), how he will come back from a serious injury. Let's face it, he wasn't the speediest guy before. Who knows now?

I don't think we can really afford to put all our eggs in that basket, and although I was looking forward to Trill Williams being healthy this season, at this point his future has question marks as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not projecting worst case doom and gloom. I just think there are many questions, and I doubt the organization just stands pat, and hopes for the best.

Needham was our slot guy. He's not under contract at the moment. Might be able to retain him for even cheaper than we did last year.

Correct, now if you are able to get Byron back also, maybe God likes the Dolphins and will help us. Lol
I can't see him suiting up again as a Fin. I follow him on twitter. The silence is defeaning. I've listened to the Dolphin coaches media sessions when he's being mentioned. They give nothing and wont commit to anything positive. Nothing..zero info on him. He's not even plugging his own team on his own social media. Not praising the teams wins let alone making posts about coming back. Pretty obvious he's been advised to stay shtum.

Ya but thats because they pushed that money into 2023. Should've taken a bigger hit this year and been in a better situation next year.

Also shouldn't have tagged Gesicki.

Also shouldn't have re-signed Ogbah.

Obviously we did enough good things to put us in a great situation but its hard not to wonder how much better of a situation we could've been otherwise. Tyreek Hill changed everything so I can absolutely live with some of these mistakes, especially since they made sense at the time of the transactions.

Whoa. Easy there.

The Gesicki thing happened before Tyreek became available. Very few on this board argued against tagging him more than me.

The Ogbah thing? Just no. He did very well prior to this year.

Back
Top Bottom