Run The Damn Ball!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Run The Damn Ball!!!!

As long as Miami has more balance on offense I'll be happy. I would prefer to have a top five rushing attack, but I don't think the team is quite at that level. Someone else said it was more of a scheme rushing attack and I agree with that. When the Dolphins have to run the ball to put the game away or keep drives going, they haven't been that successful. If Miami can be a little above league average in that regard, then it very well could lead to a playoff run.

We brought in Frank Gore to run the ball. But, it's all situational Football these days. Each game will be a different story until the offense gets a specific identity. You have to give Kenyon Drake his carries because he too damn good not to. I predict Gore crushes it for us as well. What I want is for the offense to always have the defense on its heels. If the D doesn't know if we are running or passing that's a victory for the offense. Play Action is one of Tannehill's strengths so I expect to see plenty of it. It takes running the ball successfully to make PA effective so there's a bunch of carries early in each game that have to happen. We just can't afford to get stuffed or it will be 3rd and 9 and we know how they usually go. We really are not good enough to play behind the sticks. So, if we pass to set up the run or the other way around it doesn't matter to me. Just get the job done.

The last two years Gase was noticeably limited in what he had to work with on the offense. He is not nearly as limited this year; in fact we are probably stronger than we have been in the last two years in both our running and passing game and with our upgraded front line.

AJ was not a very consistent runner in 2016 (feast or famine) and last year he chose to avoid contact, run off script in an attempt to be a hero and failed to make yards rather than just make contact and settle for a few yards. The good news was that Drake did not suffer from whatever bothered AJ, ran called plays and excelled. He played consistently well and had a better season with us than AJ did.

I think we will be a pass heavy team and use our running game effectively to confuse defenses with a lot of passes to our RB's. I think we will see some kind of fullback implementations using our RB's and TE's. I don't have any preference between running and passing as long as we are effective with both and use them to keep defenses confused and at bay.

Our red zone performance is where I feel our running game will really make itself felt. This will be seen by either directly running for TD's, or indirectly by being a constant threat that will free up our passing game. I'm looking forward to an exciting year and have very high expectations for post season play.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Drake and this is me strictly talking from his highlights I just finished watching. It seemed like a lot of Drakes long runs last year consisted of him bouncing it to the outside as oppose to just sticking to the script. Essentially Drake and Jay were each going for the home run except that Drake had way more success due to superior speed, vision or what have you.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Drake and this is me strictly talking from his highlights I just finished watching. It seemed like a lot of Drakes long runs last year consisted of him bouncing it to the outside as oppose to just sticking to the script. Essentially Drake and Jay were each going for the home run except that Drake had way more success due to superior speed, vision or what have you.

I don't get to see many of the games and most of my information comes via this forum. What I read pointed to hitting the holes and being elusive. I always consider hitting the holes includes some type of contact. It could be a poor choice of words. I'll be in the sports bars this year.

Further point is -- pass threat (primary) means the D is playing accordingly.

Hence, play action passes = not so good.

Draws and such, including Thill "scrambles" = yea baby!

If and when you establish the run as a legit threat to the D =

of course play action etc. should get traction.

Editors note: P Manning's best shtick was with Edgerrin James (remember him?

Because of the obvious one-two punch of run/pass = play action effective.

PA passes lacking establishing the run = masturbation.

Just like the Lombardy sweep: it was "simple." But nearly impossible to stop.

I get the fact Gase and his kind offer "entertainment" upsides, which the N F L is

heretofore all about.

That said, the 3 ring circus will never = the greatness of a singular player like Marino.

Dan, as a singular temporal entity, was a "system."

And at least Shula had sufficient brains to just let that animal run free!

So. What kinda animal is Thill?

We'll soon see.

I hope he's a Crow.

With a fixed up leg. Highly intelligent.

Super efficient. Capable of getting the core task (job) done.

Play in. Play out!

If so. We could go a long way!

BNF

There was some talk before the season started from Dowell Loggains that Gase wanted to go no-huddle hurry-up like we tried in 2016 to start the season out, it wasn't remotely successful in 2016 and scares the hell out of me...

If he gets it to work I will be the first to tip my hat to him.

The Vast majority of playoff teams tend to be in the top half of the league in rushing attempts so nah.

In 2017... 6 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

In 2016... 3 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

In 2017... 6 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

In 2016... 3 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

But wouldn’t vast majority be more than 60%, I think of vast being 80% or more.

Miami uses its short passes basically as running plays. WR/RB screens

The last two years Gase was noticeably limited in what he had to work with on the offense. He is not nearly as limited this year; in fact we are probably stronger than we have been in the last two years in both our running and passing game and with our upgraded front line.

AJ was not a very consistent runner in 2016 (feast or famine) and last year he chose to avoid contact, run off script in an attempt to be a hero and failed to make yards rather than just make contact and settle for a few yards. The good news was that Drake did not suffer from whatever bothered AJ, ran called plays and excelled. He played consistently well and had a better season with us than AJ did.

I think we will be a pass heavy team and use our running game effectively to confuse defenses with a lot of passes to our RB's. I think we will see some kind of fullback implementations using our RB's and TE's. I don't have any preference between running and passing as long as we are effective with both and use them to keep defenses confused and at bay.

Our red zone performance is where I feel our running game will really make itself felt. This will be seen by either directly running for TD's, or indirectly by being a constant threat that will free up our passing game. I'm looking forward to an exciting year and have very high expectations for post season play.

OMG using the letters AJ to abbreviate Ajayi's name SUCKS!! Sorry, but I had to get that off of my chest. It is a mental thing.
Otherwise, good post.

For a coach how hates to run the ball. He’s the 1st coach since 2005 to have a rb go for 200 yards 3 times in a season. And if I counted right it’s been done 4 times. 1973 bills, OJ’s 2000 yard season. 1980 Oilers, 2005 Giants and 2016 Phins. Oilers did it 4 times in1980 to bad they lost to the Pittsburgh in the playoffs all the time.

That’s because Ajayi is the GOAT...well, maybe after Ricky Williams and of course Kenyan Drake ;)

I laugh when people say “teams need to run, run run”... then follow that up with, “that will open up the pass.”

Then you have the other side that says, pass so the opposing defenses has to play off the line and the running game will avg 4+ yards per carry.

It’s all pretty simple to me. Can we meet in the middle and call it a balanced attack?

Back
Top Bottom