Run The Damn Ball!!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Run The Damn Ball!!!!

I laugh when people say “teams need to run, run run”... then follow that up with, “that will open up the pass.”

Then you have the other side that says, pass so the opposing defenses has to play off the line and the running game will avg 4+ yards per carry.

It’s all pretty simple to me. Can we meet in the middle and call it a balanced attack?

Yes.

The idea is easy to understand. Pass when they are ready for the run and run when they are ready for the pass.

The trick is in keeping the defense unprepared for the play they are about to receive (that doesn't necessarily mean a pass :happy).

I want to see more rushing this year (no way to go but up), but I'm not expecting a 50-50 split. You can be pass heavy if you still have the ablity to run when you need. Hopefully, the trio of Drake, Gore and Wilson will give us the ability to run in a variety of situations.

I have been around in those Marino years when the defense always stunk because of our quickstart offense and the defense was worn out being on the field the entire game.
Then along came Rickey Williams and suddenly our defense was top 10 every year.
A strong running game protects both your defense and QB. So running the ball just makes sense.
There were also much better defensive players around post Marino. If the defense filled with guys like Timbo, gardner, JT, Ogun, Zach, Madison, surtain, marion etc. Had a guy like Marino tossing the pill around and putting points on the board we would have been unstoppable. JT probably would have broke the sack record with more opportunities on defense and more occasions where he could pin his ears back and get after the QB because he knew the opposing team was going to pass due to them being down on the scoreboard. I watched every game Marino ever played in and let me tell you, the defensive struggles were all because they were "gassed" it was mainly because they werent that good. Marino was in a lot of shootouts early in games because the D gave up points early.

There were also much better defensive players around post Marino. If the defense filled with guys like Timbo, gardner, JT, Ogun, Zach, Madison, surtain, marion etc. Had a guy like Marino tossing the pill around and putting points on the board we would have been unstoppable. JT probably would have broke the sack record with more opportunities on defense and more occasions where he could pin his ears back and get after the QB because he knew the opposing team was going to pass due to them being down on the scoreboard. I watched every game Marino ever played in and let me tell you, the defensive struggles were all because they were "gassed" it was mainly because they werent that good. Marino was in a lot of shootouts early in games because the D gave up points early.
Hum that was the excuse I remember all on the defense I also remember we couldn't run the ball for the life of us. A 1000 yard rusher was a pipe dream for literally years then suddenly JJ first year he grabs a kid from California in like the 5th round or so named Kareem Abjar runs him in the ground his rookie year for a 1000 yards on upteem carries. We didn't have the best record that year but a much better defense. Hum

The recipe for success in 1972 is just as valid in 2018.

Running game and a pissed of defense.

If you have those, you will win.

And we have more. We also have a serious sleeper passing game.

Nothing wrong with running the ball, my problem is not being strategic with it. Many time watching the game, I can almost predict a run play coming, or trying to run the ball with 9 defensive players in the box, it drives me crazy. Learn to take what the defensive gives you, let your QB take charge of the offense not just manage it.

Adam Gase doesn’t like to run the ball much at all, and it’s why I believe he’s destined to fail long term as a head coach unless he has a Tom Brady level Qb.

We were dead last in rushing attempts last season. That is unacceptable.

Cutler was ranked worse than 33 other QBs...basically not even worst starter in the entire league quality... He had 2-3 good games out of an entire season, now that is unacceptable from the most important position on the field by a long shot

Pretty hard to run the ball when nobody respects the QB/passing game even a little bit...

Cutler was ranked worse than 33 other QBs...basically not even worst starter in the entire league quality... He had 2-3 good games out of an entire season, now that is unacceptable from the most important position on the field by a long shot

Pretty hard to run the ball when nobody respects the QB/passing game even a little bit...
Cutler played like a little bitch, afraid to get hit. Can't believe i thought he would be his 2015 self

Hum that was the excuse I remember all on the defense I also remember we couldn't run the ball for the life of us. A 1000 yard rusher was a pipe dream for literally years then suddenly JJ first year he grabs a kid from California in like the 5th round or so named Kareem Abjar runs him in the ground his rookie year for a 1000 yards on upteem carries. We didn't have the best record that year but a much better defense. Hum
That year you're talking about was 1996 when Jimmy Johnson took over. We allowed 325 points that year, and 327 the year before. A difference of 2 points allowed, but we scored 59 fewer points. In fact the year before JJ came into town and we started focusing on the run we scored 398 points and we havent scored that many in a season since. We have allowed more than the 327 points allowed that year 11 times since then though. But also in 96 they drafted Zach Thomas, the year after that they drafted JT, and Sam Madison, the year after that Surtain. All very good players, 1 in the HOF, another should be, and none of them around when Marino was slinging it around constantly and putting points on the board.

Gase has had to scale back what he wants to do since he's been here. The players we had wouldn't or couldn't do what he wanted. Now that Case has his players I believe he will drive opposing defenses crazy trying to predict what he is going to do.

Last edited:
Today's NFL is built to be a pass first league. If we play run first, we'll struggle to keep up on the scoreboard.
Exactly and this has been changing before our eyes for some time. Remember the game vs the Colts when Sparano was coach where we dominated the LOS and held the ball 46 minutes (a record), yet lost on 3 Peyton Manning big pass plays. You can’t score enough when you play this way. Teams good at it top out at 9-7ish.

That year you're talking about was 1996 when Jimmy Johnson took over. We allowed 325 points that year, and 327 the year before. A difference of 2 points allowed, but we scored 59 fewer points. In fact the year before JJ came into town and we started focusing on the run we scored 398 points and we havent scored that many in a season since. We have allowed more than the 327 points allowed that year 11 times since then though. But also in 96 they drafted Zach Thomas, the year after that they drafted JT, and Sam Madison, the year after that Surtain. All very good players, 1 in the HOF, another should be, and none of them around when Marino was slinging it around constantly and putting points on the board.
Thanks for the feedback and great job on the stats, our defense ranking improved in that year did it not? Thanks

Almost all the run first coaches have gotten fired. it's a brand new nfl.
Doug marrone is a very good “run first play good defense” coach, but he’s one of the very few left. I was happy when the bills got rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom