Running and defense wins championships | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Phincos

Active Roster
Reaction score
Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.

The Titans won a championship last night? That's news.

Running is one of the ways to win a championship, not the only. The Ravens contributed significantly to their own demise.

Derrick Henry is on a historical run right now. His ability to punish a defense and wear it down the way he is doing is rarer than having elite QB play.

His style of running is reminiscent of Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Hershel Walker. Runners with that much power and speed don't come along often.

Last edited:
Yeah, you just need to stop two 4th and 1's (vs a team that went 8 of 8 on the year), hold the opponent to 1 of 4 in the RZ, and win the TO battle 3-0. Very sustainable plan.
Exactly. If you watched the game - it’s a head scratcher.
Can’t take issue with 4th & 1 calls- I want ball in Jackson’s hands - one of them was poor execution but Simmons was a monster. Maybe an outside zone or Option idk.
I did not like the deep out calls- it’s not LJx game. Hurst underutilized. Screen game.

On Def- you can’t allow Henry to beat you. I understand RT17 made the TD throw but you can’t allow slow bludgeoning death.

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.
We need an OL but last night was the exception.
Needed a LJx Int and Fumble.
Needed 2 missed 4th and One.
Needed 8 drops.
If they score there at end of 3rd Qtr it’s a different game.
KC will beat Titans by 3 TDs.
SF will shut them out. Literally.

I get what your saying but a great QB never hurts so Id be looking for one along with trench players and a RB.
Dobbins is going to be good in the NFL I think...A Derrick Henry type that I would love the Fins to get in the draft.

Exactly. If you watched the game - it’s a head scratcher.
Can’t take issue with 4th & 1 calls- I want ball in Jackson’s hands - one of them was poor execution but Simmons was a monster. Maybe an outside zone or Option idk.
I did not like the deep out calls- it’s not LJx game. Hurst underutilized. Screen game.

On Def- you can’t allow Henry to beat you. I understand RT17 made the TD throw but you can’t allow slow bludgeoning death.

Tennessee set a record for largest yardage disparity in a playoff win, so as impressive as Henry was, it's not like Tennessee's offense was humming. Tennessee's D made the plays it had to, but those types of stops are not something you can count on. Tennessee pulled off an unlikely win. It happens.

Derrick Henry is powerful but he is not fast at all. The Titans will wear him out if he gets 30 carries a game, he wont last 5 more years in the nfl.

As for the Ravens, imagine them without Lamar Jackson.

He's pretty fast - 4.54 at 247 is uncommon to say the least.

I was think this morning about going BPA regardless of need. I ended up drafting three WR’s in round one. Such a weird draft this year. I’d like to build both lines as much as anyone but other than Derrick Brown, nobody on either side moves me. I will say I’m liking Simpson , OG from Clemson, more and more.

Yeah, you just need to stop two 4th and 1's (vs a team that went 8 of 8 on the year), hold the opponent to 1 of 4 in the RZ, and win the TO battle 3-0. Very sustainable plan.

Even if they had only stopped one 4th and 1, held opp to 2 of 4 RZ and 2-1 TO, the OP is right. That defense and running game would have kept Tennessee in the game with a chance to win, even if they hadn't been quite as fortunate. Clearly, the Ravens could not dominate the Titans as they had other less balanced teams this year.

That was a weird game last night.

Titans are not a blueprint to follow and neither are the Ravens. Both have limited offense.

Derrick Henry is carrying Tennessee. If a team gets up and a team that's being carried by the run then you might as well say goodnight.

Back
Top Bottom