Running Back scenerios | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running Back scenerios

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With all the talk of this running back and that running back being interested in Miami, and our being interested in drafting this guy or that guy, what do you think the best move for us will be.
Draft possibilities: Brown, Benson, C. Williams
FA or Trade possibilities: S. Alexander, T. Henry, E. James, M. Bennett

I'm sure there are a few more names that could be added in either column. To me, I think that if we can get any of these players with our 3rd rounder, we ought to move that direction so that we can draft another position high or trade back from #1 overall. To me, I think Travis Henry offers us the biggest bang for our buck. He is also the only player on the list (other than maybe Bennett) that we could get for a 3rd rounder. Henry has played well and is certainly capable of giving us a 1,200 to 1,600 yard season. He also offers us a nice mix of power and scat combo. Personally, although I like benson and Brown at RB, I think we can get a quality RB without using our #2 overall to get him.
Travis Henry also breaks alot of tackles. He slides well, cuts quickly, and has great burst. I think he gives us the best value for what we can would have to spend to get him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Miami figure this out before the draft. Of course, everything at this point is pointing towards fixing this position in the draft. There has been a lot of talk about potential veteran running backs being brought in. Over the past week, a lot of talk has surrounded Michael Bennett from Minnesota.

Ron Dayne is also coming in for a visit. A lot have given their opinion on Ron Dayne, and I'm not a big fan of him myself. However, signing him at this point is a low risk venture. You get a big back who has some ability for cheap. Let's see if a change of scenery will help him. Despite all the negative comments about him, he has averaged 4.2 yards per carry as a starter in New York (190 attempts, 804 yards, 8 TDs as a starter). His biggest problem is a lack of a burst.

Of course, he wouldn't be brought in as a starter. Only as a competitor for the starting job. Miami wouldn't be finished with this position by any means after signing him.

The Dolphins still have Lamar Gordon in the fold, a talented player who didn't get the opportunity to showcase his skills last season. He's a big, strong, and fast back who runs a little too upright, but there are some skills to work with there.

Scott Linehan has always been able to get his team to rush for a lot of yards despite not having a top flight tailback. It is going to be real interesting to see if Scott and Nick believe they need to use a high pick to invest on a top running back, or if they will choose another avenue.

1. The possibility exists that they will take Braylon Edwards. The Dolphins will play in sets that feature three wides probably 50-60% of the time. A line up of Edwards, Chambers, and Booker would be very dangerous in that set.

2. They could trade down and continue targeting defensive linemen or a defensive back like Antrell Rolle.

This is interesting. I ran the numbers. Last season, when Minnesota passed the football, they had three or more wide receivers on the field 74% of the time. They ran the ball 31% of the time out of the three wide set.

In 54% of their runs by the tailbacks, the Vikings were in the single back set. They ran the two back set 39% of the time. Just to give you an idea of how little the fullback will be used, Minnesota ran the ball 15% of the time when using the I formation. In comparison, they doubled that when running out of the two tight end set. 30% of their runs came in the two tight end set.

KB21 said:
It wouldn't surprise me to see Miami figure this out before the draft. Of course, everything at this point is pointing towards fixing this position in the draft. There has been a lot of talk about potential veteran running backs being brought in. Over the past week, a lot of talk has surrounded Michael Bennett from Minnesota.

Ron Dayne is also coming in for a visit. A lot have given their opinion on Ron Dayne, and I'm not a big fan of him myself. However, signing him at this point is a low risk venture. You get a big back who has some ability for cheap. Let's see if a change of scenery will help him. Despite all the negative comments about him, he has averaged 4.2 yards per carry as a starter in New York (190 attempts, 804 yards, 8 TDs as a starter). His biggest problem is a lack of a burst.

Of course, he wouldn't be brought in as a starter. Only as a competitor for the starting job. Miami wouldn't be finished with this position by any means after signing him.

The Dolphins still have Lamar Gordon in the fold, a talented player who didn't get the opportunity to showcase his skills last season. He's a big, strong, and fast back who runs a little too upright, but there are some skills to work with there.

Scott Linehan has always been able to get his team to rush for a lot of yards despite not having a top flight tailback. It is going to be real interesting to see if Scott and Nick believe they need to use a high pick to invest on a top running back, or if they will choose another avenue.

1. The possibility exists that they will take Braylon Edwards. The Dolphins will play in sets that feature three wides probably 50-60% of the time. A line up of Edwards, Chambers, and Booker would be very dangerous in that set.

2. They could trade down and continue targeting defensive linemen or a defensive back like Antrell Rolle.

Good point KB. We will see more 3 WR sets this season than in a long long time. I expect Miami to Draft Wr Edwards or QB Smith with #2 overall.

Alot of cheaper options in the draft, although it wouldnt be a bad trade surtain for edge(if we could afford him), and then we could draft a wr or qb if we cant trade back.

Well, now it appears that Nick Saban is definitely looking at one of the running backs in the first round. My guess is, he wants Ronnie Brown, but that could change. I still wouldn't rule out Braylon Edwards or Alex Smith at this point, but with the cancelling of Ron Dayne's visit and the unlikelyhood of making a deal for James, it definitely looks like running back.

Wouldn't it be funny if Saban went against all the experts on this board and grabbed Caddy at number two? :chuckle:

San Diego Sports Radio (XTRA570)

Just reporting the report ......I'm aware of other posts and articles.

Last night XTRA570 in San Diego reported than last night Miami and Indy were meeting to discuss an Edge James to Miami trade.

I dont have a problem with trading for Edge, but not for Surtain. I bet they'd even take a pick from next years draft for him. Question will be does Saban want to part with a pick high enough to land him.

Seems something is going on with all the reports saying the same thing.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Just reporting the report ......I'm aware of other posts and articles.

Last night XTRA570 in San Diego reported than last night Miami and Indy were meeting to discuss an Edge James to Miami trade.

I dont have a problem with trading for Edge, but not for Surtain. I bet they'd even take a pick from next years draft for him. Question will be does Saban want to part with a pick high enough to land him.

Seems something is going on with all the reports saying the same thing.

Well, Edge wants to play in Miami and could kibosh any deal he didn't like by refusing to sign an extension. So the Colts would be silly not to make at least a cursory attempt to meet his demands.

Since the Colts lack the long-term money to retain Edge, a Surtain trade is unlikely, since he'll want a contract in the same neighborhood. No, it's almost got to be a draft pick deal unless they're interested in a deal centered around Lamar Gordon and Will Poole or something. (Come to think of it, Gordon, Poole and a 4th round pick wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, given how much the price has come down.)

Back
Top Bottom