Running backs to target | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running backs to target

Csonked Out

Club Member
Reaction score
It is pretty clear we will be taking a running back at some point in the draft. My target would be Royce Freeman out of Oregon. Guy is a joy to watch, could be a productive all-around back at the next level too. Try and nab him in the 3rd round if possible.

Rashaad Penny,Chubb,Scott,and Franklin out of WMichigan

Wasn't thinking much about running back until the Ajayi trade. It looks like a pretty significant need for Miami. I'm not sure what would be the ideal back for Gase, but likely someone who can be pretty proficient in all phases including catching out of the backfield.

Penn State's Barkley (top 5), Harris on Alabama, Georgia's Chubb, Love on Stanford, and Guice of LSU would be the early guys. I think you are in the neighborhood, in that the Dolphins likely look middle rounds or free agency. Scarbourough is a guy I like as a bigger, move the pile back. He could team with Drake.

Sony Michel is like he Ronni Brown to Chubs Cadillac Williams. I think we be more interested in Sony. Mark Walton from Miami is a great talent. He was going to leave for sure before his injury. If he still decides to come out he’s a good option as well. Royce as OP mentioned is an interesting guy too. Let’s see what Drake and Williams give us the rest of the way.

Sony Michel is one of my very favorite backs in the entire draft. He's on a different level from a speed/explosiveness/twitch standpoint and yet he marries that with really, really good vision and daylight instincts, and a surprising amount of power. He's not got GREAT size but it's pretty good. He's not a 200 pounder. The power comes from the fact he's got a big upper body build and such great functional speed and explosiveness. I wouldn't compare him to Ronnie Brown necessarily, but I think he's a good one. I can see why Nick Chubb may be compared to Cadillac Williams, though.

Another guy I really like a whole lot, whom I would compare to a David Johnson or perhaps even a Ronnie Brown, is Jaylen Samuels. When you watch North Carolina State play football, more often than not you're going to see Jaylen Samuels lining up either in the slot like a slot receiver, or off the line like an H-Back. But the guy has carried the football 155 times in his college career for over 6 yards per carry and 24 rushing TDs. His touchdown conversion success from inside the tight red area (18 TDs on 30 runs) is a number I've never even seen before. I remember Karlos Williams was one of the best I'd ever seen that way, and Tim Tebow before that. Samuels blows them both out of the water. Yet you look at him as a receiver option and he is legitimately compelling, and when he's NOT running the ball in the tight red zone, he's gaining something like 7.1 yards per carry.

Outside of those cats, I have always appreciated what Royce Freeman brings to the table in terms of a pure combination of power, tackle-breaking ability, and athleticism.

Sony Michel is one of my very favorite backs in the entire draft. He's on a different level from a speed/explosiveness/twitch standpoint and yet he marries that with really, really good vision and daylight instincts, and a surprising amount of power. He's not got GREAT size but it's pretty good. He's not a 200 pounder. The power comes from the fact he's got a big upper body build and such great functional speed and explosiveness. I wouldn't compare him to Ronnie Brown necessarily, but I think he's a good one. I can see why Nick Chubb may be compared to Cadillac Williams, though.

Another guy I really like a whole lot, whom I would compare to a David Johnson or perhaps even a Ronnie Brown, is Jaylen Samuels. When you watch North Carolina State play football, more often than not you're going to see Jaylen Samuels lining up either in the slot like a slot receiver, or off the line like an H-Back. But the guy has carried the football 155 times in his college career for over 6 yards per carry and 24 rushing TDs. His touchdown conversion success from inside the tight red area (18 TDs on 30 runs) is a number I've never even seen before. I remember Karlos Williams was one of the best I'd ever seen that way, and Tim Tebow before that. Samuels blows them both out of the water. Yet you look at him as a receiver option and he is legitimately compelling, and when he's NOT running the ball in the tight red zone, he's gaining something like 7.1 yards per carry.

Outside of those cats, I have always appreciated what Royce Freeman brings to the table in terms of a pure combination of power, tackle-breaking ability, and athleticism.

I was wondering how well Samuels projected in the NFL as a primary RB compared to the way NC State has used him. I think he fits exactly what Gase wants in his backfield. A really dynamic football player, who is very good toting the football, but really excels as a receiver. Where do you think he ends up draft wise?

Always appreciate your feedback. Have just started to check in on running backs. What's your thoughts on Harris from Alabama? He looks like he attacks the line with some pretty impressive speed. Is he a complete back?

I do think Miami ends up looking middle rounds, but free agency could always change things. Guice and Harris staring you in the face in the first could as well. Thoughts?

Just saw Walter's mock has us taking Ken Webster and then Mark Andrews. I'd love a TE in the 2nd round. I'd be ok with a corner in the first but not sure about him. 4.48? I'd rather have someone a lot faster at corner

Ozzy rules!!

Just saw Walter's mock has us taking Ken Webster and then Mark Andrews. I'd love a TE in the 2nd round. I'd be ok with a corner in the first but not sure about him. 4.48? I'd rather have someone a lot faster at corner

Ozzy rules!!
4.48 is a perfectly fine 40 time for a DB. Talib, Ramsey, Rhodes are all playing top level right now and they all had similar 40 times.

John Kelly is high on my list. In his RB thread, Slimm mentioned Kelly's similarities to Guice - as RB's who refuse to go down. He catches the ball well, and he's a physical, interested blocker. Assuming Miami doesn't turn the season around and picks relatively early, I think they should start considering him in the 3rd - like him in the 2nd/3rd range.

John Kelly is high on my list. In his RB thread, Slimm mentioned Kelly's similarities to Guice - as RB's who refuse to go down. He catches the ball well, and he's a physical, interested blocker. Assuming Miami doesn't turn the season around and picks relatively early, I think they should start considering him in the 3rd - like him in the 2nd/3rd range.

I'll have to check him out. Haven't paid much attention to running backs, but now with Ajayi traded that is a definite need. Been checking out some highlights, but wonder who you think fits best what Gase is looking for? My guess is he wants a complete back.

Opinions on Harris and Scarbough at Alabama?

I'll have to check him out. Haven't paid much attention to running backs, but now with Ajayi traded that is a definite need. Been checking out some highlights, but wonder who you think fits best what Gase is looking for? My guess is he wants a complete back.

Opinions on Harris and Scarbough at Alabama?

I assume Gase wants a smart, complete RB, because that versatility opens up the playbook. That, or he wants someone to compliment K. Drake. I think that approach is, at best, risky. Relative to where they're currently ranked by most publications, I'm very high on Rashaad Penny, John Kelly, Myles Gaskin, Phillip Lindsay, Ito Smith, and Larry Rose III. Of those RB's, though, only Penny and Kelly are true feature backs. To specify on Lindsay, Smith, and Rose III, they're ranked as UDFA's or not ranked at all most places. I think they're worth a look in the 5th-7th.

Slimm would obviously have a lot more info than me on the Alabama RB's, but I don't think Scarbrough looks as explosive this year. I don't see a good transition for him. I love watching Harris; he's electric. But, I don't think you draft him to be the guy - like you would Barkley, Guice, Penny, Kelly, Chubb, or even Royce Freeman (for the right offense). He hasn't done much as a receiver, and maybe Slimm could shed some light on how much of that is the offense vs his ability as a receiver. I haven't zoomed in on that feature. I'm seeing 1st and 2nd RD grades on Harris, and that's rich for me.

I assume Gase wants a smart, complete RB, because that versatility opens up the playbook. That, or he wants someone to compliment K. Drake. I think that approach is, at best, risky. Relative to where they're currently ranked by most publications, I'm very high on Rashaad Penny, John Kelly, Myles Gaskin, Phillip Lindsay, Ito Smith, and Larry Rose III. Of those RB's, though, only Penny and Kelly are true feature backs. To specify on Lindsay, Smith, and Rose III, they're ranked as UDFA's or not ranked at all most places. I think they're worth a look in the 5th-7th.

Slimm would obviously have a lot more info than me on the Alabama RB's, but I don't think Scarbrough looks as explosive this year. I don't see a good transition for him. I love watching Harris; he's electric. But, I don't think you draft him to be the guy - like you would Barkley, Guice, Penny, Kelly, Chubb, or even Royce Freeman (for the right offense). He hasn't done much as a receiver, and maybe Slimm could shed some light on how much of that is the offense vs his ability as a receiver. I haven't zoomed in on that feature. I'm seeing 1st and 2nd RD grades on Harris, and that's rich for me.

Thanks, J-Off. That was my impression of Harris as well. Haven't seen him catch the ball much so that's my major concern with him. Will check in on those on your list.

I still think, unless Guice is there in R1, that Miami looks middle rounds. So someone from your list could end up being in consideration.

RB for sure is a need thought I can't see us drafting one early. To be honest I'm not sure what position they'd want in the first round. No way they go guard or Center in round one. If Landry leave via free agency I still can't see us drafting a WR in round one thought you never know. We really can use a TE but that'd be in the 2nd round imo. Sounds crazy but Corner could be a target depending on how Howard plays the rest of the way and OT? With no knowing what's going to happen with James and Tunsil playing below the expectation we'll have to get one at some point. At this point there's no clear choice as to what position we'd draft in round one

Ozzy rules!!

Bo is still only about 75-80% back in terms of full recovery explosiveness from his broken leg. You're absolutely right, he doesn't have his explosiveness back yet.

Harris is slippery and elusive, while pairing that up with excellent running instincts and vision. Great blend of size, speed and agility. However, perhaps the most underrated skill Harris has that translates to the next level is pass protection.

Back
Top Bottom