Running game with an awful Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running game with an awful Offensive Line

Merman

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
IMO the OL maybe a real problem this year yet this comment from Phil Simms who never has anything good to say about the Dolphins seems to offer hope.

''That's what Norv is so good at,'' CBS commentator and former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms said. ``He mixes the plays and keeps other teams guessing. . . . I think that's why he's been able to run the ball no matter who he has on the offensive line.

``Just look at what he did last season with San Diego. They ran the ball great and they didn't have anybody up front. That line was awful.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/3901218.htm

Hopefully we see some of this Saturday at Houston.

I disagree about Simms. Whenever he does Dolphin games, he usually has A LOT of good things to say about the Phins. Especially Chris Chambers and Jay Fiedler.

Originally posted by Muck
I disagree about Simms. Whenever he does Dolphin games, he usually has A LOT of good things to say about the Phins. Especially Chris Chambers and Jay Fiedler.

Has alot of things to say. Thats the problem with Simms. He doesn't stop talking. He talks non stop from tackle to snap. It's very annoying.

Phil Simms often has good things to say about the Dolphins. In fact, of all the columnists on I think it was espn.com, Phil Simms was the only one that picked Chris Chambers to be rookie of the year, BEFORE the season had begun.

And Chris came aweful damn close too.

Phil Simms is a good guy and will be replacing John Madden on MNF in a couple years...he always has good things to say on the fins..:rolleyes:

I thought this thread would have been more about his comment than mine. :)

OKay Merman...I don't agree with you, I agree with Simms,,I think our OL will be better than you think..I think the new OL when it jells will give us a great running game..so in that sense I also disagree with Simms, it does matter who's on the OL..but great play calling does help..Go Norv..

Did anyone catch Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, and Deion Sanders on the CBS NFL show? Esiason is such a jerk! Contradicts everything that anyone else says. With Dan there, there is no need for Boomer there!

Originally posted by jaxdolfan
Did anyone catch Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, and Deion Sanders on the CBS NFL show? Esiason is such a jerk! Contradicts everything that anyone else says. With Dan there, there is no need for Boomer there!
amen

Boomer sucks - the Jet hommie

I don't agree with Simms. Play calling is one thing, but an offensive line must make some blocks to have a successful running game. Just watching the first two preseason games shows that Ricky isn't going to be very successful without some blocking.

Then how do you explain the Chargers OL?

Originally posted by PhinKev
I don't agree with Simms. Play calling is one thing, but an offensive line must make some blocks to have a successful running game. Just watching the first two preseason games shows that Ricky isn't going to be very successful without some blocking.

if your running game is going, your OL will look good

Re: Then how do you explain the Chargers OL?

There are a number of factors to keep in mind. The Chargers had a great deal more success running in the beginning of the season and the offensive line did perform better than expected. Flutie was excellent in the beginning as well and then things fell apart.

Sometimes it is hard to isolate one aspect of a team's play and argue that it is most important. A good running game is the product of different factors including, the success of the passing game, quarterback, receiver blocking, play calling and O-line.

I think Simms overstated things to suggest that a team can play call its way to a successful runinning game if the o-line is not performing. Smoke and Mirrors only work so long.

So noone else thinks he talks to much. Notice the next time you watch. He'll explain every play from tackle to snap. As soon as the tackle is made he'll talk about what he saw and he wont stop talking until the next snap is made. Sometimes he keeps talking into the next snap taking up some of Brian Dumball's time. I just mute him most of the time as Simms talks non stop on every play.
I hate CBS coverage of the NFL. Also you'll notice they do the small screen for scores etc at the worst times. Right when the QB is dropping for a pass. And during the game they're advertising CBS fall programs and they never concentrate on the game. Did I say I hate CBS coverage of the Phins.

Back
Top Bottom