Russ Lande's top ten at each position | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russ Lande's top ten at each position

I've bought his guide in the past and I think KB turned me on to him. It was $25 then, today it's $31 + $5.00 shipping and handling. I think it's a very good guide and has lots of information, even if you disagree with his rankings. Currently, I am not working or I would buy it today. If Saban has his way, we are going to have more than just a handful of new guys to read up on and the more info we can get the better, right?

Steve

DonShula84 said:
All I had to see was that he had Lefors as the #2 QB to know the guy was insane

Do you dislike LeFors because of his height? Or have you come to this conclusion based on in depth study of his play?

I'm always extremely impressed by Russ Lande's ratings. He is annually unafraid to buck conventional wisdom instead of the "why be alone when I can be a clone?" robotic idiocy. It's symbolic of that mindset that so many here are already ranting at his lists when they see differences from typical order. Meanwhile, by next August 4th rounders all around the league will be outplaying guys drafted significantly higher.

It's weird, every year I find myself in complete agreement with Lande at some positions and totally different at others. Alex Smith first and Stephan LeFors second is exactly how I would place the QBs, with a mechanical clod like Aaron Rodgers laboring in fourth. Brilliant! Likewise Caddy above Ronnie Brown at RB.

But how he slates Mike Williams as the 3rd receiver and David Pollack at #5 at DE completely baffles me.

As someone else mentioned, I first gained respect for Lande when he had the guts to properly assess "crank it up" Timmy Couch in '99. I said on a radio show I wouldn't take him in the 4th round. We were both overly generous.

TeeMoney said:
Do you dislike LeFors because of his height? Or have you come to this conclusion based on in depth study of his play?

Height and a weak arm. He is accurate and athletic, but with his arm and his height I just dont see how he can be the 2nd rated QB, when every other scout/expert has Lefors rated around 8-10 or so and this guy has him 2nd? If you've done an in depth study of him Id love to see what you think of him.

Awsi Dooger said:
I'm always extremely impressed by Russ Lande's ratings. He is annually unafraid to buck conventional wisdom instead of the "why be alone when I can be a clone?" robotic idiocy. It's symbolic of that mindset that so many here are already ranting at his lists when they see differences from typical order. Meanwhile, by next August 4th rounders all around the league will be outplaying guys drafted significantly higher.

It's weird, every year I find myself in complete agreement with Lande at some positions and totally different at others. Alex Smith first and Stephan LeFors second is exactly how I would place the QBs, with a mechanical clod like Aaron Rodgers laboring in fourth. Brilliant! Likewise Caddy above Ronnie Brown at RB.

But how he slates Mike Williams as the 3rd receiver and David Pollack at #5 at DE completely baffles me.

As someone else mentioned, I first gained respect for Lande when he had the guts to properly assess "crank it up" Timmy Couch in '99. I said on a radio show I wouldn't take him in the 4th round. We were both overly generous.

VERY well said. So many here, just as I thought, would be quick to slam Russ for bucking conventional wisdom. I'm sure everyone who has done so, has watched way more game film that Russ has. ;) :shakeno:

MrClean said:
VERY well said. So many here, just as I thought, would be quick to slam Russ for bucking conventional wisdom. I'm sure everyone who has done so, has watched way more game film that Russ has. ;) :shakeno:

Has he watched more game film than all the other scouts, or experts like Kiper? Just because he has watched more film than us it doesnt make him right :shakeno:

But you think he's a nut because he likes LeFors, yet you don't know why he does, and the only thing you know about LeFors is that other scouts don't like him- not because he is a bad QB but because he isn't the expected height for a NFL qb. If I'm wrong, tell me why you feel the way you do, so we can all learn something.

well pretty much all i can say is according to him it looks like Incognito is the best lineman ever

Awsi Dooger said:

well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.

For those who are new at following the draft, I can understand why they're so appalled when they see "unconventional" rankings like this.

But, for those who generally follow the draft yearly, I think it's just rash and narrow-minded to laugh at rankings like this. This guy is obviously a credible source. If he pulled this stuff out of his a$$ then u could laugh at it. But, if u look at his credentials, look at all other past drafts in comparison with the general public's rankings of prospects, and then compare them with how those prospects have actually turned out, then IMO u should see it's ridiculous to make fun of this guy's rankings - his rankings are unconventional, but then again, the way the draft prospects actually turn out are also always unconventional when compared with the general public's rankings.

I'm not saying u should agree with his rankings. I'm just saying you should take it for what it is: a respectable, and experienced talent evaluator giving his opinion.

In looking at his past draft guides from his site, he did have Mark Bulger rated as a 1st-rd pick when the public had him as a late-rd pick. And, he was pretty much right on with Tom Brady.

DonShula84 said:
Has he watched more game film than all the other scouts, or experts like Kiper? Just because he has watched more film than us it doesnt make him right :shakeno:

And exactly what has Kiper done to be called an "expert"? I don't recall many clubs knocking down his door when his future at ESPN was in jeapordy earlier this year.

this dude is dead on with caddy, though ;)

i lost interest way before i saw Williamson as the 7th rated WR, that kinda topped it off for me.

brodney pool??

This guy is an idiot. He won't take McPherson because of off season problems? Fine. Then he likes Iconginto who is insane, kicked out of two schools, and had a serious injury at the combine. While McPherson had a stellar combine and impressed all.

I think I know why this guy is a FORMER scout anyways. And working for the Browns too, with all of their great drafts, we know why this guy isn't getting work anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom