Russell Athletic Bowl - WVU vs. Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russell Athletic Bowl - WVU vs. Miami

Congrats U on beating yet another conference. ACC dominance!

Russell%20Athletic%20Bowl_WVU%20vs%20Miami.jpeg

Discuss.

What is there to discuss? We bitch slapped ya. :lol:

[TWEET]814509192870510592[/TWEET]

I attended the game. Unlike 2013 when I attended the Russell Athletic Bowl but bet on Louisville, the Canes were more legit this season, with the continued improvement in pass defense. It quietly progressed to 6.4 YPA in 2015 and now regular season 6.3 in 2016.

That category closely aligns with championship level in college football, more than anything else I'm aware of. This season, for example, the four teams in the playoffs finished in the top 7 nationally. Ohio State allowed 5.4, Alabama and Washington 5.8, and Clemson 5.9. Those are all excellent numbers. Once it rises to those levels the small differences don't mean a great deal. Too bad there wasn't room for 5 teams this season because Michigan narrowly won the regular season stat at 5.4 but slightly better than Ohio State.

I give credit to the NBC crew and announcers way back in the 1983 season Orange Bowl, the famous Canes upset of Nebraska. They showed a stat during the game that Miami led the nation in yards allowed per pass attempt. I believe it was 4.3, or something silly low. It was the first time I became aware of that category. And it has held up to remarkable degree in isolating the legit teams over the decades. Last season Michigan State was an absolute fraud, allowing more than 7 yards per attempt. Likewise Florida State a season earlier. Both were massacred in the semifinal, with the pass defense shredded.

Anyway, the improvements to the Orlando stadium were quite dramatic from 2013. I was impressed. Miami had a great fan turnout and very enthusiastic, before and after the game. Some West Virginia fans I talked to were stunned. They actually expected to be the majority in the stands. They fell for the notion that Miami has few passionate fans. I told them it was a myth. West Virginia had a good turnout in the lower bowl but the upper deck on their side was completely empty. I counted 6 people up there and they looked to be working for a film crew. Otherwise I don't think any tickets were sold. Miami's upper deck side, in contrast, was 2/3 full along with all of the lower bowl.

Canes fans stayed in the stands long after the game. Thousands and thousands. Very loud. Everyone merged closer to the center of the stands to watch the trophy ceremony on a platform on the field. Miami fans chanted, "One more year...one more year..." toward Brad Kaaya. He didn't directly answer the question when posed by Tom Luginbill of ESPN on the platform.

Luginbill said it was obvious that the Canes fan base was re-energized under Mark Richt.

With Clemson and FSU being dominant. Louisville and Miami are getting there.

ACC can become the new SEC. getting the recruits for it lately too.

Back
Top Bottom