RW returning?=Zonk returning in "79"? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RW returning?=Zonk returning in "79"?

Zonk and a Super Bowl in the 1980's??

I saw Zonk play when I was a kid from '70-'74. I was thrilled to have him back in '79. Because of him, mostly, we made it to the playoffs. Though we lost against the Steelers. In 1980, without Zonk, the Dolphins bottomed out only to start a rebuilding process that led the way for the Marino era. Though he probably would have been retired by 1983, but imagine having Zonk in the Woodley-era Super Bowl against the Redskins. With a solid running game, we could have kept the ball out of the hands of Theisman and Riggins and have won the darn game.

If Ricky could return with a healthy mind-we draft one of the top two receivers-then sure up the o-line...hmmmm....there I go day dreaming again, back to work...

I was 8 when we won our last SB, I remember when Csonka, Kiick and Warfield signed with the WFL that summer, and knowing that the `74 season would be their last in Miami (I think that`s why that loss to Oakland in the playoffs will never be just another loss). I always blamed Joe Robbie for not paying those guys what they wanted, they only led us to 3 straight SBs. Now we`ve got an owner who will pay the $$, but we ain`t sniffed a SB since `84. Unbelievable really.
As for Zonk coming back in `79....I think he put up over 800 yds, then poof! he was gone. I never knew it was `cause of Robbie again.

Most excellent post, Namor. I do vividly remember the crushing blow that was felt when Zonk, Kiick, and Warfield took off for the WFL. Broke my heart. Your analogy comparing that event to Ricky's sudden departure is quite astute. Yes, you're right, Zonk was so beloved that we welcomed him back with open arms. Although at the time I didn't see it, with many years' hindsight I understand why Zonk left for money. In those days, even the premiere players didn't make much coin and the average career for a RB was/is less than 5 years. He had to strike while the iron was hot and make his money while he could. Joe Robbie was notoriously tight with a dollar and that's why they left. I don't think Robbie counted on them calling his bluff.

The same can't be said for current ownership, though. Yes, Ricky clearly had issues with the coaching staff (didn't we all?) and had more than a little skewed view of reality. And as you rightly stated, he left for more reasons than just money. His immaturity was very apparent because he didn't seem to be able to intelligently discuss his concerns/problems with Wanny. Wanny probably had much to do with Ricky's dissatisfaction but Ricky needed to handle his unhappiness with more tact than he did. Naturally Ricky's maturity and commitment will come into play if he should decide to give it a go again.

Namor raises some good questions. If we were willing to forgive and forget with Zonk, is it possible to forgive and forget with Ricky? If the team leaders are willing to give it a shot, then who are we to question that decision? If, in fact, there is a decision to be made? This is all still quite hypothetical, though the story seems to have more legs with Saban.

Stay tuned, this could get interesting......

Namor said:
First off,allow me to explain myself.I doubt anyone is more pissed at
Ricky for doing what he did last year than me.After saying that,yes
I would welcome him back if his head and heart was in it(as a back-up).
How many old-timers like myself remember when Zonk,Kiick and
Warfield left for the WFL?They weren't thinking of thier Dolphin
teamates then.That destroyed Miami for awhile and I hated them for
that.Now fast forward a few years,the WFL has folded and Zonk
wants to leave the Giants (after the Miracle in the MeadowLands)who
could blame him,"Zonk had a big part in that fumble".and in 79 we
welcome him back..Yaaa the hero returns.He has a good year ,almost
a 1000 yds.We even traded a very good back (Leroy Harris) to make
room for him,then Zonk asks for more money,Joe Robbie say no,Zonk
quits and leaves us holding the bag.He wasn't thinking of the team
then,was he?But no one ever says anything negative about the
Zonk.Hell I still love the guy.Zonk bailed on us(twice)because of
money and he is in the ring of honor.Ricky bailed on us because of
drug and mental problems.We forgave the guy with the money issue
but we hate the guy with mental problems.Any opinions from old-timers
that remember the Zonk from 79?

100% agreed

I was more sad than, mad when ricky left last year. It did show that we needed a new philosophy in Miami and for that I am thankful, If ricky had of played last year, we probably would have won 9 to 10 games probably not making the playoffs, but not having a bad enough year to get rid of the Wandsted era. I love the fact we gutted the coaching stafff and organization pretty much from top to bottom, I can't wait to see the new fins this year, it like openning a present, what are we going to get? I just hope its not another pair socks....

mf52dolphin said:
I remember it well. I always supported Zonk. I totally put the blame about Zonk leaving both times totally on Joe Robbie. In fact to this day I despise Joe Robbie for being cheap to his great players :yell:
I have enough annimosity toward Joe Robbie that I was happy that the stadium is no longer under his name. :D

I have always believed Joe Robbie cost us the chance to be the team of the century. We would have truly owned the decade and people would be saying Pittsburg? They were a good team but never overcame the Dolphins.

byroan said:
How many more SB's would we have won had they not left for the WFL? What if we hadn't won those two SB's? What if we had won one with Ricky? Would any of this matter? They both left the team because they were selfish. Granted that Robbie was really cheap, Zonk still was looking after himself instead of the team.

If you can forgive Zonk then you can forgive Ricky.

Do you go to UNC?

philyphin said:
I was more sad than, mad when ricky left last year. It did show that we needed a new philosophy in Miami and for that I am thankful, If ricky had of played last year, we probably would have won 9 to 10 games probably not making the playoffs, but not having a bad enough year to get rid of the Wandsted era. I love the fact we gutted the coaching stafff and organization pretty much from top to bottom, I can't wait to see the new fins this year, it like openning a present, what are we going to get? I just hope its not another pair socks....

Or even worse......a bottle of that nasty Brut cologne.

The comparison is absurd !

Zonk at the time was being shafted financially. There was no other option for them to make money. Endorsement deals were not big back then. There was no avenue like Free Agency for players. Zonk was the heart of the team. He left only to ensure his own future to be responsible to his family. He was far more than SB victories. He is a person of character.

Ricky may have a mental illness but he also has that issue complemented by his extreme lack of maturity and victim mentality. He lacks character. He left to smoke the weed knowing he was going to be sued. This is not being responsible to anyone, including his very self. Ricky still finds a way to blame everyone for his problems. He has done this so frequently, I don't believe a darn thing he says about anything.

Go ahead and be lured by his potential all you want. I'm tired of Ricky's B.S. There's a team to rebuild here and we need people who think about the team, not Ganga.

Zonk "retired" after 79 with a year left on his contract.A 2 year contract he begged
for because after the Giants got rid him, no one would touch him,Shula gave him
a chance and built the offense around him.He didn't leave to get more money else-
where,he quit out of spite because he wanted more money.

I always felt that Joe Robbie was the one to blame in that one. He was notoriously tight with money. Back then NFL players made a lot less. I think that was near the end of the era when players took jobs in the offseason to make ends meet. IMO Zonk would have been a fool to stay. When he left the second time he felt he had been lied to by Joe Robbie again. I don't see this as analogous to the RW's situation at all.

Namor said:
First off,allow me to explain myself.I doubt anyone is more pissed at
Ricky for doing what he did last year than me.After saying that,yes
I would welcome him back if his head and heart was in it(as a back-up).
How many old-timers like myself remember when Zonk,Kiick and
Warfield left for the WFL?They weren't thinking of thier Dolphin
teamates then.That destroyed Miami for awhile and I hated them for
that.Now fast forward a few years,the WFL has folded and Zonk
wants to leave the Giants (after the Miracle in the MeadowLands)who
could blame him,"Zonk had a big part in that fumble".and in 79 we
welcome him back..Yaaa the hero returns.He has a good year ,almost
a 1000 yds.We even traded a very good back (Leroy Harris) to make
room for him,then Zonk asks for more money,Joe Robbie say no,Zonk
quits and leaves us holding the bag.He wasn't thinking of the team
then,was he?But no one ever says anything negative about the
Zonk.Hell I still love the guy.Zonk bailed on us(twice)because of
money and he is in the ring of honor.Ricky bailed on us because of
drug and mental problems.We forgave the guy with the money issue
but we hate the guy with mental problems.Any opinions from old-timers
that remember the Zonk from 79?

I remeber being very upset that ALL three players ledt but in those days the pay wasn;t what it is now and I didn;t blame them for leaving.

Hey, at least you didn;t compare Zonk to Bruschi! :lol:

So if Ricky quit because he wanted more money,it would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom