RW returning?=Zonk returning in "79"? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RW returning?=Zonk returning in "79"?

Namor said:
So if Ricky quit because he wanted more money,it would be okay.

Well kind of, yeah. We lose FA to other teams because of $$$ all the time. Why is the Zonk situation any different. There was no FA back then, otherwise he would have left for another team instead of another league.

But in 79 he didn't go to another team or WFL for more money for his family,he
just "retired" because he wanted more money with a year left on his contract.

Namor said:
But in 79 he didn't go to another team or WFL for more money for his family,he
just "retired" because he wanted more money with a year left on his contract.

I don't remember when he retired but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a week before training camp.

yankeehillbilly said:
all the dope he can smoke and a pregnant baboon to take his pee tests for him.
Pregnant baboon!I think thats pretty stupid to say,or somewhat racist,then again coming from the source it's expected!

I'm not saying that what Ricky did wasn't crappy.I'm saying one of the things that
people are saying not to welcome him back is cause"He will only be coming back
because of the money."Well hell thats what Zonk was doing and we love him.
Ricky not playing is doing him or Miami any good.He has no trade value.The only
value he has is playing for Miami.Bring him back as a back-up.A former 1800 yarder
as a back-up is intriging.Don't make him the focal point of the offense.With Wanny
gone ,I think this could work.I just the kid has problems and needs help.The NFL
has progrems that can help him ,just not with him being the focal point of the
whole team.I just don't think he could handle that burden.

Namor said:
I'm not saying that what Ricky did wasn't crappy.I'm saying one of the things that
people are saying not to welcome him back is cause"He will only be coming back
because of the money."Well hell thats what Zonk was doing and we love him.
Ricky not playing is doing him or Miami any good.He has no trade value.The only
value he has is playing for Miami.Bring him back as a back-up.A former 1800 yarder
as a back-up is intriging.Don't make him the focal point of the offense.With Wanny
gone ,I think this could work.I just the kid has problems and needs help.The NFL
has progrems that can help him ,just not with him being the focal point of the
whole team.I just don't think he could handle that burden.

I have no problem with Ricky coming back. I just don't like him being compared to a living legend that won 2 SB for us and was the main reason for an undefeated season. There's a big difference between a contract dispute and quitting to smoke pot!

I have no problem with Ricky coming back. I just don't like him being compared to a living legend that won 2 SB for us and was the main reason for an undefeated season. There's a big difference between a contract dispute and quitting to smoke pot!

Unless you show me Rickys quote where he says he has quit to smoke pot that comment is absurd.
Ricky had issues and the pot was an escape, the naughty thing pro athletes should NEVER do, he was being the rebel in order to state his point how unhappy he was with his situation.
He had been smoking and he new he couldn't pass the drug test so he one upped them and quit before he could get suspended. Once suspended he threw off his shackles (pro athlete, puritan life style) and went right over board. This usually happens in these cases. I can even say from personal experience. When I stopped amateur bicycle racing I caught up on all the 'goodies' I had missed over the years. Ok, it wasn't pot it just cookies and ice cream but the principle is the same. After a while you've had your fill, like Ricky now, and you want to get back to a normal healthy 'life'. I think he had has his fill of 'freedom' and is ready for what he was meant to do on this earth, play football!

Namor said:
First off,allow me to explain myself.I doubt anyone is more pissed at
Ricky for doing what he did last year than me.After saying that,yes
I would welcome him back if his head and heart was in it(as a back-up).
How many old-timers like myself remember when Zonk,Kiick and
Warfield left for the WFL?They weren't thinking of thier Dolphin
teamates then.That destroyed Miami for awhile and I hated them for
that.Now fast forward a few years,the WFL has folded and Zonk
wants to leave the Giants (after the Miracle in the MeadowLands)who
could blame him,"Zonk had a big part in that fumble".and in 79 we
welcome him back..Yaaa the hero returns.He has a good year ,almost
a 1000 yds.We even traded a very good back (Leroy Harris) to make
room for him,then Zonk asks for more money,Joe Robbie say no,Zonk
quits and leaves us holding the bag.He wasn't thinking of the team
then,was he?But no one ever says anything negative about the
Zonk.Hell I still love the guy.Zonk bailed on us(twice)because of
money and he is in the ring of honor.Ricky bailed on us because of
drug and mental problems.We forgave the guy with the money issue
but we hate the guy with mental problems.Any opinions from old-timers
that remember the Zonk from 79?
Very good post. Ricky could not deal with the mental problems and instead of facing them he ran away. All of Zonk's issues were of his own making. Don't get me wrong, I am not putting one in front of the other or saying either is forgiveable but it does give you something to think about.

chdoyle said:
Unless you show me Rickys quote where he says he has quit to smoke pot that comment is absurd.
Ricky had issues and the pot was an escape, the naughty thing pro athletes should NEVER do, he was being the rebel in order to state his point how unhappy he was with his situation.
He had been smoking and he new he couldn't pass the drug test so he one upped them and quit before he could get suspended. Once suspended he threw off his shackles (pro athlete, puritan life style) and went right over board. This usually happens in these cases. I can even say from personal experience. When I stopped amateur bicycle racing I caught up on all the 'goodies' I had missed over the years. Ok, it wasn't pot it just cookies and ice cream but the principle is the same. After a while you've had your fill, like Ricky now, and you want to get back to a normal healthy 'life'. I think he had has his fill of 'freedom' and is ready for what he was meant to do on this earth, play football!

He had a ton of reasons, but one of them was that he liked smoking pot (better than taking his meds) and didn't want to deal with NFL testing requirements. So saying "he quit to smoke pot" seems very accurate.

chdoyle said:
I don;t have time to look it up right now.... but he specifically said that the NFL had the "no pot smoking rule" and that he was tired of living under those rules. That pot made him feel better than the medication he was taking.

Back
Top Bottom