Ryan Fitzpatrick likely to retire | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick likely to retire

Nothing wrong with being precice and backing up one's assertions with factual evidence.

I wish more ppl took that approach.

It beats the hell out of making completely vague, and subjective statements, without any rational explanation or evidence.

It's fine for anyone to say anything they want, but without at least an attempt to make a rational case for their views, it's pointless, and can't be taken too seriously.

TBH, I didn't clearly understand what your first post was asking either.

I think with Fitz, it's about having a fair, and level opportunity to start. He isn't going to get that here, or with most other teams.

Put it this way, It's a huge investment in time, effort, work and commitment while knowing you have no shot to play meaningful snaps.

Nobody enjoys playing a game they are sure to lose, with nothing to gain, and that's not even getting into the sacrifices and compromise with his family.
I don't understand this move. Is it because he doesn't want to be a backup anywhere or because we won't have him as a backup here?

What assertions were needed to be made for the above?

What factual evidence was required?

What case to be made?

With all due respect and I really mean that, some of you just like the sound of your own thoughts.

I wasn't and I'm still not sure on whether we are kicking him out, he doesn't want to play here because he wants to start, or he'd be willing to be a back-up here but only will sign with another team if given a chance to start.

Do you have any idea, in the grand scheme of any thing, how little I care if Fitz retires?

Lifetime earnings, a wife, a history lesson on his playing career, I'm suddenly in a debate on a subject I asked a question about because I didn't know.

If the 3 of us were at a bar, I'd leave you and Spike to a discussion that has nothing to do with me.

Spike almost came across as moody and you have me debating what now?

Good for all of you who got it in on Friday or are having a bit of the ol' hair of the dog this morning but I've been dry since the new year so...

His last NFL completion was the helmet throw against the Raiders. What a final completion. Wish he would stick around another year as a backup though.
I wouldn’t mind him being the QB coach but I have no interest in him as the backup QB. I don’t want Flores to think it is okay to pull Tua in a game just because Fitzpatrick is the backup. All QB’s go through rough spots in a game or for periods in a season and the good head coaches let their starting QB;s work their way through these rough spots. That is what I want and expect this coming season with Tua.

You must understand. We don't want to waste another 7 years waiting for Tagovailoa to develop like we did Tannehill. He will have a much shorter leash because Flores will not be as patient. In fact if he doesn't ball out this upcoming season, he will not be their starting QB in 2022.
I do understand, I understand that while Tua wasn't great last year, Fitz wasn't as great as many make it seem. You have to understand this is about Fitz and not Tua. I am all for bringing in a vet backup, but the Fitz days need to be over.

I looked up his career earnings on Spotrac. I didn't just make up the number, I went to the trouble of responding to your post by trying to get the actual career earnings data. I'd like him back as Tua's backup, but if he's decided that the time is right to retire as a player, I respect his decision. My point in highlighting his actual earnings of over $71M was to highlight that Fitz is actually a very wealthy guy who probably plays because he loves to play the game, not because he's trying to eek out the last buck like many veteran players. Living away from his large family for the past 2 seasons was a big personal sacrifice.

Dude, but where did all of that come from?

If Tua ends up having several seasons on par with the two seasons Tannehil has had with the Titans I would say he's had a pretty good career.
If you get a RB who can lead the league in rushing and a solid offensive line like the Titans, I have no doubt that Tua will be as good as Tannehill is with the Titans. In fact I believe he will be much better than Tannehill under those circumstances.

judging by RTs post Dolphin career, I don't think he was the biggest problem.

We all want "elite", but the reality is, by definition, 25+ teams aren't going to have that consistently.

Let me ask you this.

If TT isn't elite, but is in the second tier, 12-17 range, do you move on and draft another QB after next year? After 2 years?

At what level, and at what time do you draw the line?

Not being arguementative here at all. It's a serious question to your very valid assertion about holding out hope on a player for entirely too long.
I was just pointing out facts to what Fitz actually did, and not some fantasy that some fans have of him bring this elite QB. Somehow, that was twisted into a Tua debate.

On that subject though, you bring up great points of what is acceptable? Where and when is the line drawn? We have to wait and see how Flo and the staff feel. I would imagine Buffalo isn't mad about keeping Josh Allen around for year 3

Dude, but where did all of that come from?
Actual data from Spotrac.com
SEASONS TEAM TOTAL CASH
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$568,250
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$1,362,000
4 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$26,575,000
1 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$3,250,000
1 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$4,000,000
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$15,310,848
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$6,975,000
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$13,500,000

Oh, well. I was hoping he’d sign a decent contract somewhere and earn us a comp pick.

What case to be made?

With all due respect and I really mean that, some of you just like the sound of your own thoughts.

I wasn't and I'm still not sure on whether we are kicking him out, he doesn't want to play here because he wants to start, or he'd be willing to be a back-up here but only will sign with another team if given a chance to start.

Do you have any idea, in the grand scheme of any thing, how little I care if Fitz retires?

Lifetime earnings, a wife, a history lesson on his playing career, I'm suddenly in a debate on a subject I asked a question about because I didn't know.

If the 3 of us were at a bar, I'd leave you and Spike to a discussion that has nothing to do with me.

Good for all of you who got it in on Friday or are having a bit of the ol' hair of the dog this morning but I've been dry since the new year so...
The "assertions" comment was not directed specifically towards you. It was a general statement as a retort to a post that started with "Jesus Christ" that went on to unfairly (IMO) criticize someone for providing pertinent factual information related to the discussion.

Some of us prefer a little more depth in discussions, than just one sentence drive by comments at times.

As to the 3 of us being in a bar? Why would I care if you stayed or left?

Actual data from Spotrac.com
SEASONS TEAM TOTAL CASH
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$568,250
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$1,362,000
4 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$26,575,000
1 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$3,250,000
1 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$4,000,000
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$15,310,848
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$6,975,000
2 seasons
Player Cash Earnings
$13,500,000
Now you're just trolling him. Kudos.

xn5e36568b.jpg

What case to be made?

Great post!

Not to knock Fitz, but just questioning the fan base. People act like Miami is losing a legend in Fitzpatick (2000 yards 13 tds and 8 ints and a 4-3 record), but want to rule Tua (1800 yards 11 tds and 5 ints and a 6-3 record ) as a bust after 8 games. Don't get me wrong Fitz out played Tua, but he also had 16 years of experience under his belt.

Also for what's worth, Miami had 20 td drives led by Fitzpatrick and 19 TD drives led by Tua. Fitzpatrick had 20 drives end with a field goal and Tua had 16. Those are field goals made not attempted. All three of Sanders' missed field goals were on drives led by Tua. So all of this just to say the offense got in scoring position 40 times with Fitzpatrick and 38 with Tua.
Since you already looked up the stats, how many drives did each of them have? Im guessing that Tua had a lot more since you didnt post that number.
I also remember tua having 2 drives that started on the opp 1 yard line.

Back
Top Bottom