Ryan Fitzpatrick talks about Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick talks about Tua

Fitzpatrick will be a perfect mentor for Tua. Yet for a guy as bright as Fitzpatrick is, he has made some of the dumbest throws over his career I have ever seen. He has always thought he has an arm like Marino and he has tried to make throws he had no excuse for making.
Hopefully he will just be needed to start early in the season while Tua continues to heal from his hip surgery and the offensive line develops some cohesion. Because once Tua takes over as the starter, Fitzpatrick‘s time as a starter will be over.

IMO, both Flo and Grier signed Fitzpatrick with just this in mind. They knew he was a highly smart, experienced vet that would be willing to mentor whomever they eventually brought in to replace him.

So they should get further kudos for having that judgement and foresight.

Next, props to Fitz for being the guy he is. I never was much a fan when he played elsewhere, except his previous stop in TB where their offense was fun to watch, and have never considered him a top level QB. But he is very capable of top level games from time to time where he looks like an elite level QB. There are QB’s better than him that aren’t capable of blowing up to the same level.

He’s a super smart, reliable guy. I’m super happy the Dolphins have him as a bridge to Tua.

Lastly, can Tua Tagovailoa be in a better situation than getting to hear about the nuances of playing QB and to learn from both Fitz and Dan Marino?

Doesn't all that apply to Rosen also, or have you forgotten him?

Fitz isn't just here to be a great mentor. He's also here to take the hits while the O-line comes together (and we don't know precisely how long that will take). He's tough and experienced in handling this sort of situation.
When we initially signed Fitz, I didn't expect too much. He's a veteran journeyman QB who can be a gunslinger but also throws interceptions. However, the plan to get him as a transition QB and make do with less talent on the team, way exceeded expectations. Fitz has the personality, intelligence and experience to handle the situation while the media fixated on tanking and then he led by example to lift the team spirits and win some games. I like what we've done in free agency and the Draft and very interested to see how Fitz handles things now with a lot more talent on the roster. I just have so much respect for him.
Tua is the future, but he has the best possible mentor to help him along the way. Full marks to GM Chris Grier for planning and implementing this scenario.

Last edited:
Forgotten, no. But purposely omitted, yes. Because he’s not the future of the Dolphins unless a lot of unforeseen things happen. Mostly bad things.

I think Rosen gets his chance if we have a pre season

Fitz maybe does not want to stay around as a back up after next season and if he Rosen can fulfill that role that would be a good thing.

Not saying it's gonna happen but it would be great if it did and he played well.

Doesn't all that apply to Rosen also, or have you forgotten him?

Rosen has lost his seat on the "hype" train for now IMO ... but yes these things do apply to Rosen also

Tua has stolen the spotlight and Fitz is coming off a season that, really, was kinda special for him and Dolphin fans ....

Rosen is still in the shadows and has had Fitz to lean on for mentor-ship much like Tua has this season ... I'm hoping he has developed

Rosen will (again) have to prove himself on the field to reclaim any love from hopeful fans IMO

It's awesome to read/hear Fitz's attitude toward Tua and being the team guy he is it isn't surprising

As much as we love Fitzpatrick after next yr.. I hope he move on. So these young qb can play..

As much as we love Fitzpatrick after next yr.. I hope he move on. So these young qb can play..
I certainly don’t love Fitzpatrick. He is okay for a team like the Dolphins because he will take the hits and get the Dolphins 5 or 6 wins while Tua continues to recover. He is certainly not the QB I would want on a Dolphin team that actually had the talent to make the playoffs.
There is a reason he has been on so many teams during his career. He is a good backup who can come in and win a few games for a team when the starter goes down. Yet he has never led a team to the playoffs and he has a habit of playing terrible the year after he played decent.

As a mentor for the young QB’s on the Dolphins, I am glad Fitzpatrick is On the team. As the starting QB until Tua is ready to take control of the offense, I would rather see Rosen but I’ll suffer though Fitzpatrick as the starter for now.

Back
Top Bottom