Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

There are actually more elite QBs drafted outside of the top 10 then the other way around... Big Ben, Brees, Wilson, Brady, Rodgers. I might be crazy but this might also suggest that QBs drafted by really bad teams have their odds cut in half just by the negative surroundings... Who would've thunk...
More elite QBs were drafted from picks 11-256 vs picks 1-10? That's a pool of 246 players vs 10. Not really a crazy concept, but I guarantee you that if I draft a QB at #1 every year and you draft a QB at #123 every year, I'm going to find my franchise QB before you do.

That's the point... for a single pick you have a higher chance the higher you go, so you maximize your one chance to do it.

As for the point that if you need the #1 overall pick to find a QB, you aren't good enough to surround him with talent... that's actually kind of silly. Most teams get lucky when they find their QBs so it's not like these talent evaluators are waiting til the 3rd round to draft Wilson, 6th round to find Brady, or free agency to sign Brees because they're trying to be sneaky. If they knew how good these guys were going to be, they would've drafted them with their highest pick or traded up, or in Brees's case the Chargers would've kept him and not drafted Rivers.

Last edited:
good enough to find a QB without tanking to get the #1 pick

I have to agree.

If they don't prepare to do what they must without having to tank, if it is indeed next year that they are targeting a QB and they haven't set themselves into postion to make a move be it 2-14 or 9-7, then its more of the same old ****.

Find is not the word, though. You can find a beautiful woman. But can you attain her? Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to get her?

So far, so good, no? We aleady have two 3s and two 4s for next year and it's only March 2019. So far, so good.

I have to agree.

If they don't prepare to do what they must without having to tank, if it is indeed next year that they are targeting a QB and they haven't set themselves into postion to make a move be it 2-14 or 9-7, then its more of the same old ****.

Find is not the word, though. You can find a beautiful woman. But can you attain her? Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to get her?

So far, so good, no? We aleady have two 3s and two 4s for next year and it's only March 2019. So far, so good.

I happen to think this front office is doing a great job implementing this plan. Which is a plan that I agree with logically as a means to develop the foundation for a successful football team. It's what you'll see baseball teams to do, since I'm watching the Blue Jays do it too. We're already likely to have 10 draft picks next year.

If they can find a trade down partner (that's assuming they aren't in love with a QB in THIS draft) they're gonna do it and accumulate even more assets. They've got all the cap space next year, a pick that will worst case fall in the top 8. And I think they're likely to have more future picks from this draft, Robert Quinn and I happen to think a Kiko Alonso trade.

Fitz is perfect for the 2019 game plan which is to win less than 5 games or so. That should put us in range to get our guy. Fitz is reasonable money and there was no scenario where Tannehill was staying with his big contract. At least the FO is trying a vastly different approach. I hope it leads to vastly different results.

I happen to think this front office is doing a great job implementing this plan. Which is a plan that I agree with logically as a means to develop the foundation for a successful football team. It's what you'll see baseball teams to do, since I'm watching the Blue Jays do it too. We're already likely to have 10 draft picks next year.

If they can find a trade down partner (that's assuming they aren't in love with a QB in THIS draft) they're gonna do it and accumulate even more assets. They've got all the cap space next year, a pick that will worst case fall in the top 8. And I think they're likely to have more future picks from this draft, Robert Quinn and I happen to think a Kiko Alonso trade.
What if they fall in love with say a Haskins. Which I personally think they are. Idk how far they'd have to move up but they probably need needs to move with the giants taking him in mind

More elite QBs were drafted from picks 11-256 vs picks 1-10? That's a pool of 246 players vs 10. Not really a crazy concept, but I guarantee you that if I draft a QB at #1 every year and you draft a QB at #123 every year, I'm going to find my franchise QB before you do.

That's the point... for a single pick you have a higher chance the higher you go, so you maximize your one chance to do it.

As for the point that if you need the #1 overall pick to find a QB, you aren't good enough to surround him with talent... that's actually kind of silly. Most teams get lucky when they find their QBs so it's not like these talent evaluators are waiting til the 3rd round to draft Wilson, 6th round to find Brady, or free agency to sign Brees because they're trying to be sneaky. If they knew how good these guys were going to be, they would've drafted them with their highest pick or traded up, or in Brees's case the Chargers would've kept him and not drafted Rivers.
Its really not that simple... Draft picks are more valuable to good GMs than they are to bad GMs. Good players are more valuable to good coaches than they are to bad coaches.

If, as a GM, your only hope of finding a good QB is by having a 1st overall pick, then it doesnt matter whether you hit or miss with that pick, you will fail either way.

Fitz is perfect for the 2019 game plan which is to win less than 5 games or so. That should put us in range to get our guy. Fitz is reasonable money and there was no scenario where Tannehill was staying with his big contract. At least the FO is trying a vastly different approach. I hope it leads to vastly different results.
"Perfect" for the game plan would've been starting Falk. Fitz would be the reason we end up drafting 6th instead of 1st, which isn't going to be good enough to get our guy.

Its really not that simple... Draft picks are more valuable to good GMs than they are to bad GMs. Good players are more valuable to good coaches than they are to bad coaches.

If, as a GM, your only hope of finding a good QB is by having a 1st overall pick, then it doesnt matter whether you hit or miss with that pick, you will fail either way.
Be sure to send that credo to the Colts organization when they end up having 30 years straight of elite QB play while we continue to settle on lesser QBs and wasting every season we play on them.

What if they fall in love with say a Haskins. Which I personally think they are. Idk how far they'd have to move up but they probably need needs to move with the giants taking him in mind

I think Haskins is either going top 5 (Skins or Giants) or will fall and be primed for a value-oriented trade up.

Be sure to send that credo to the Colts organization when they end up having 30 years straight of elite QB play while we continue to settle on lesser QBs and wasting every season we play on them.
Hold on, are we talking about having only great QB play or about actually winning Super Bowls?

Hold on, are we talking about having only great QB play or about actually winning Super Bowls?
I mean, the Colts have won a Super Bowl during that time. It's been 46 years for us. But you know that so why would you even ask the question?

They have to move up to #2, so they can guarantee getting the QB. Otherwise they are fkn around, rolling the dice.

Here are fair draft values in pts to move up from 13 (1150 pts). Let's say the player involved in a trade is Minkah:

1. 3000 + 15% = 3400 pts (3 first, 1 second; or 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and elite player)
2. 2600 + 15% = 2990 pts (2 firsts and 2 seconds; or 2 firsts and a second and an elite player)
3. 2200 + 15% = 2530 pts (2 firsts and a second; or 2 firsts and a player)
4. 1800 + 15% = 2070 pts (2 firsts; or 1 first and 2 seconds; or a 1 first and 1 second and a player)
5. 1700 + 15% = 1955 pts (2 firsts; or 1 first and 2 seconds; or a 1 first and 1 second and a player)
6. 1600 + 15% = 1840 pts (1 first and 2 seconds; or 1 first and 1 second and a player; or 1 first and a player)
7. 1500 + 15% = 1725 pts (1 first and 1 second, a 1 third; or 1 first and 1 third and a player)
8. 1400 + 15% = 1610 pts (1 first and 1 second, a 1 third; or 1 first and 1 third and a player)
9. 1350 + 15% = 1553 pts (1 first and 1 second; or 1 first and a player)
10. 1300 + 15% = 1495 pts (1 first and 1 second; or 1 first and a player)

They have to move up to #2, so they can guarantee getting the QB. Otherwise they are fkn around, rolling the dice.

Here are fair draft values in pts to move up from 13 (1150 pts). Let's say the player involved in a trade is Minkah:

1. 3000 + 15% = 3400 pts (3 first, 1 second; or 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and elite player)
2. 2600 + 15% = 2990 pts (2 firsts and 2 seconds; or 2 firsts and a second and an elite player)
3. 2200 + 15% = 2530 pts (2 firsts and a second; or 2 firsts and a player)
4. 1800 + 15% = 2070 pts (2 firsts; or 1 first and 2 seconds; or a 1 first and 1 second and a player)
5. 1700 + 15% = 1955 pts (2 firsts; or 1 first and 2 seconds; or a 1 first and 1 second and a player)
6. 1600 + 15% = 1840 pts (1 first and 2 seconds; or 1 first and 1 second and a player; or 1 first and a player)
7. 1500 + 15% = 1725 pts (1 first and 1 second, a 1 third; or 1 first and 1 third and a player)
8. 1400 + 15% = 1610 pts (1 first and 1 second, a 1 third; or 1 first and 1 third and a player)
9. 1350 + 15% = 1553 pts (1 first and 1 second; or 1 first and a player)
10. 1300 + 15% = 1495 pts (1 first and 1 second; or 1 first and a player)
Which is precisely why moving up is insane unless you are SUPER confident that Haskins is the best play for the franchise for the next 5+ years and that includes over the QBs next year when we'll be up there without needing to move up.

Which is precisely why moving up is insane unless you are SUPER confident that Haskins is the best play for the franchise for the next 5+ years and that includes over the QBs next year when we'll be up there without needing to move up.

No, it is not insane. And yes, Haskins is 100% the guy. He is in the class of elite quarterbacks that came before him, Mayfield, Rudolph, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz, Garoppolo, Luck -- he is that type of performer. And so is Lock. And we do not care which one we get.

We just need one to move on, to start getting on with the program, and that is worth whatever it takes, because we need to start now. A team with #1 pick just has that privilege of being able to gt the one they want. Others move up, like Texans, Bears, Chiefs, Rams, Eagles. And sometimes a great QB slips, but that is unreasonable to expect going into the draft. Teams like the Steelers who have a HoF, top 3 in last 20 years QB can wate until the third round, because they are not looking for a starter. We cannot wait. We cannot fk around.

And same goes for the defensive coordinator. This team needs to get the best DC, not Patrick Graham. They need to get Jack Del Rio. They need to get the best DC so they can move on with SB building, evaluating, putting the system in place. That's what rebuild is about.

Well said. Concise, complete and correct.

This is going to be a great year for the Dolphins with exciting games being played, a high potential future outlook and an outlet for every lemming (you know, the wants that want us to fail to prove their dire pathetic prophesies) to claim they were right all along once things start going well. Or they might just disappear until things go wrong. You know, like they did in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom