Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan is done as a Dolphins if we have a successful season

If Cutler has a top 10-15 QB season then you keep him and cut/trade Tannehill. Otherwise, you keep Tannehill and see if he can get back to where he was pre-injury.

Regardless, it's a shaky situation either way. On one hand you've got a 35 year old who has never had two good seasons in a row, and on the other you'll have a 30 year old coming off a MAJOR surgery.

In other words.... Sorry defense, but the Tannehill injury forces our hand in the draft. Popular opinion or not, we absolutely have to draft a QB in next year's draft. And I'm talking first round. Do it the smart way for once. I love what the Chiefs did this year for example. Don't wait until you absolutely have to and there's no time to groom.

Soooo if Cutler wins a Super Bowl this year and still wants to play, and wants to play for Miami . . . .obviously on a contract making around 2 years, 40 million . . . Do you really say "Nah Jay we rollin with Ryan and gambling on his knee and mentality to help us accomplish the same thing . . . but thank you for the ring that Marino couldn't even get"

Gimme a break. I have come a long way in regards to 17 but that is crazy talk and I am hoping this crazy talk is just a result of people not believing Jay could accomplish that feat this year.

You obviously attempt to trade Ryan and draft a QB . . . Or you ask Ryan to take a substantial paycut as Moore is a FA.

You don't let Cutler out of the building if he brings a Lombardi trophy to Miami.

Cutler has 2-3 MAX, if that. He might just well ride off into the sunset if he won a superbowl. His mind is half-in this. He already retired. Once you already crossed that threshold, especially at that age, its hard to reclaim that same passion for it. I just know that if he resigned for another 2 to 3 years, he would bolt the second he had a mediocre season, which would probably be the next one. So you are willing to risk potentially 6-8 good years of Tannehill for that?

It would be a tough call, but we all saw how Tannehill performed last year. Gase believes in him. There is not reason his surgery shouldn't work as well as every other QB with that procedure, including Brady.

The last thing we want is to start all over just to have a 2 year window with Cutler. And then what? Hope and pray the rook is halfway competent? Did the Jets really win in the end going with Favre for a minute and then starting over?

Honestly, if last week someone suggested that Tannehill was going to lead this team to a Super Bowl win, he would have been mocked by all but the most delusional kool-aide drinkers-- and rightly so.

But now we're supposed to seriously consider that a guy they plucked out of the broadcast booth is going to win the Super Bowl with this team-- somehow leapfrogging the Patriots who've done nothing but get better, and overcoming a questionable at best defense-- and decide Tannehill's fate accordingly.

Delusional isn't a strong enough word actually. It's as if a good percentage of the fanbase thinks the Dolphins actually got better once Tannehill got injured.

Cutler has 2-3 MAX, if that. He might just well ride off into the sunset if he won a superbowl. His mind is half-in this. He already retired. Once you already crossed that threshold, especially at that age, its hard to reclaim that same passion for it. I just know that if he resigned for another 2 to 3 years, he would bolt the second he had a mediocre season, which would probably be the next one. So you are willing to risk potentially 6-8 good years of Tannehill for that?

It would be a tough call, but we all saw how Tannehill performed last year. Gase believes in him. There is not reason his surgery shouldn't work as well as every other QB with that procedure, including Brady.

The last thing we want is to start all over just to have a 2 year window with Cutler. And then what? Hope and pray the rook is halfway competent? Did the Jets really win in the end going with Favre for a minute and then starting over?

If Jay retires then great for him and we ride into 2018 with Tannehill at QB. I am going with the presumption that he puts up a career year, wins a championship and actually wants to still play for Adam Gase and the Miami Dolphins. If those are the circumstances, Miami would be bat **** crazy to let him out of the building in favor of Ryan Tannehill. He could be "fully healed" and I wouldn't care, not tossing away a Super Bowl winning QB for the hopes that Ryan can continue off where he was before getting hurt in the Zona game. That is a big assumption and an unnecessary risk.

If you ask me, while you still have Wake, Suh, Reshad and company playing at a high level, presumebly after winning a Super Bowl, the "future (funny considering Ryan would be 30)" gets put on the backburner and that 2 to 3 window becomes the priority. No brainer.

Again I will stress, this is all hypothetical, and I'd imagine Jay will keep us competitive but ultimately we fall short, or he gets hurts or something Dolphiny happens to us . . . But there are certainly scenarios in which u keep Jay and move Ryan. Absolutely.

Honestly, if last week someone suggested that Tannehill was going to lead this team to a Super Bowl win, he would have been mocked by all but the most delusional kool-aide drinkers-- and rightly so.

But now we're supposed to seriously consider that a guy they plucked out of the broadcast booth is going to win the Super Bowl with this team-- somehow leapfrogging the Patriots who've done nothing but get better, and overcoming a questionable at best defense-- and decide Tannehill's fate accordingly.

Delusional isn't a strong enough word actually. It's as if a good percentage of the fanbase thinks the Dolphins actually got better once Tannehill got injured.

I would be pretty surprised if Cutler showed to be better than Ryan, but the scary thing is, he has that capability from a talent standpoint so I wouldn't put it in the impossible category. There is a shitload of talent on this offense.

I agree its not a discussion I care to continue because its "what if i hit the lotto" territory.

Good grief. Cutler will not take us to the super bowl and no way in hell he replaces Tannehill. I want to get my hopes up for this season too but some of you are setting yourselves up for a severe melt down.
I can already see the 47 threads.

He's a 1 yr rental to save face with a hail mary of a season. It's been 11 years, you've seen the best he has.... he's not going to miraculously turn in to peyton manning in a season where he's a month removed from the couch where his wife had to talk him in to playing. Stop with all this nonsense about him unseating RT. PLEASE!

Soooo if Cutler wins a Super Bowl this year and still wants to play

I'm all for dreaming big, but Jay Cutler has only lead a team to the playoffs once in his career. he's 34, coming off a season where he played five games because of wrist and shoulder issues and no one wanted which is why he became a broadcaster in the first place. let's keep things realistic when are talking about this. Yes Jay Cutler could lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl and break all of the individual passing records in the process, there could also be an alien invasion that will destroy all life on the planet by the start of the regular season too...but neither not within the realm of possibility of it happening.

in 2018 Ryan Tannehill will be the Dolphins QB barring an injury setback. Cutler will take the job waiting for him at Fox and Moore will likely be re-signed to back up Tannehill again.

Hey I'm a Tannehill supporter but should Jay miraculously led us deep in the playoffs he would be my guy. The odds of this are probably not very good but who knows.

Watch Cutler have a fluke great season and resign as a starter, Tannehill leaves to back up Brady in NE as he recovers, takes over in 2019 after Brady retires and goes on to win multiple super bowls with BB. (Patriots also traded Garopollo for a 1st round pick in the process). Meanwhile, Cutler has a terrible season in 2018 and retires again.

#DolfanLife

Tannehill would never be on a Bellicheat team. He is the opposite of pre-snap great reader, quick decision making and great pocket awareness that Bellicheat loves.

Back
Top Bottom